Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don

Default Which twin shower pump?

I live in a bungalow consequently a small head on the recently installed
thermostatic shower unit. I'm only getting a trickle so I want to boost the
pressure a little, nothing fancy like a 3.5 bar multiple shower unit, just a
small boost. The base of the roof header tank is approx 600mm above the
shower head, the minimum head recommended for the thermostatic unit is 0.1
bar which I assume is approx 1000mm.
I cannot seem to find a shower giving less than 1.3 bar, my main concerns
are :
1 Reliability.
2 long life.
3 high ambient temperature ( installation in Airing cupboard).
4 Continuous rating.

Would the inclusion of valved bypasses from inlets to outlets reduce the
strain on the pump by lowering the outlet pressure, or would the consequent
increased volume through the pump be detrimental to reliability.
Any thoughts and/or recommendations as to which pump I should buy.

I'm inclined towards :

or:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...20 7&ts=34457

What does the team think?

Regards
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 09:23:37 -0000, "Don" popple @diddle .dot wrote:

[...]

Neither if you want to meet all those criteria.

Go for a Stuart Turner one.

e.g.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/750-299

or better

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/750-300

(I just used that site as a source of links - shop around for better
price)

You shouldn't do bypasses. Simply connecting in 15mm if you don't
want too much flow will do it.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

The base of the roof header tank is approx 600mm above the shower head,
the minimum head recommended for the thermostatic unit is 0.1 bar which
I assume is approx 1000mm.

Whilst the valve manufacturer claims 0.1 bar is acceptable, most people find
around 1 bar to be ideal. Much less than 1 bar and it will not be
satisfying, unless you are using a low pressure drencher head that doesn't
particularly benefit from pressure. Over 3 bar and the massage can be too
powerful.

I cannot seem to find a shower giving less than 1.3 bar, my main concerns

1.3 bar will provide an excellent shower and needs no modification.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations as to which pump I should buy.

Stuart Turner Showermate 1.4 bar twin.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/750-299?...280059f8e95000

If you want to go all out for reliability and unlimited duty cycle, then I'd
go for a

Stuart Turner Monsoon 1.0 bar twin

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/750-14600

You should buy a pump with negative head capability, as you may find the
flow switches are unreliable with such a low head. A negative head unit has
a separate pull cord to kick start the pump.

However, there are alternatives to using this. If you also feed the bath
taps, then these, being lower down and larger bore will easily start the
pump. I used to do this on my last house. You just set the shower and blip
the bath hot tap.

For a bit more money you can get special flow switches that work
automatically.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mutley

"Christian McArdle" wrote in answer

You should buy a pump with negative head capability, as you may find the
flow switches are unreliable with such a low head. A negative head unit

has
a separate pull cord to kick start the pump.

Fine, but what's the solution to a pump which won't switch off reliably? My
Monsoon pump is excellent and robust (metal and brass!), but tends not to
switch off when the shower or tap valve is closed. I often have to 'flick'
the monoblock tap quite hard on and off to get the pump to stop, on both H &
C. Stuart Turner (user instructions) thinks this is due to sticking flow
switches on the pump, but the test with a small magnet shows no problem.

regards,
mutley

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

Stuart Turner (user instructions) thinks this is due to sticking flow
switches on the pump, but the test with a small magnet shows no problem.

They still sound knackered, whatever some test with a small magent tells
you. Unless you've got a leak (or secondary circulation loop) or something.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

Christian McArdle wrote:

Stuart Turner Showermate 1.4 bar twin.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/750-299?...280059f8e95000

I installed exactly that model for SWMBO's aunt recently...

It was impressed - it was quiet, smooth, and completely transformed the
shower to give a decent performance without being excessive.

Fed the bath taps from it as well and it made a dramatic improvement to
bath filling. (head without the pump was perhaps 1.8m at best)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Don

Many thanks for the info/recomendations,
One Stuart Turner Monsoon 1.0 bar twin ordered.

Regards
Don