JimM

Default Washing Machines - what make ?

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

Cheers

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

Nozza

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:31:54 +0100, "JimM"
wrote:

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

Troll

Dyson.

/Troll

Bob Minchin

JimM wrote:

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

Cheers

Jim

--
Remove BRAIN before replying

I have had personal experience to two Siemens machines that have been totally
trouble free. One must be over 10 years old and based on that I bought one
about 3 years ago for myself.
Prior to that I had had Creda for 18 years and a s/h indesit for about 7
both of which needed odd jobs doing but nothing serious.
I do my own repairs so don't mind a little effort every now and then. If I
were paying for call out of the repair man, I might have felt less
sympathetic to the repair needs.
I do note that Siemens spares seem to be a little dearer and maybe they are a
bit more difficult to get.
Many people swear by Miele but the original prices are high and I suspect
spares dear too.

If you get the opportunity to look inside, I'd suggest a machine with a metal
outer tub (stainless steel ideally) would have a better chance of changing
bearings rather than a plastic moulding.

I expect our resisdent, helpful ex repair man would have the best view on
reliability/ease/cost of maintenance.

Bob

Andy Hall

wrote:

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

Cheers

Jim

Miele.

Go and take a look at one in a store and compare the construction with
anything else.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Bob Eager

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 15:31:54 UTC, "JimM" wrote:

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

It has been noted here in the past that very reliable machines can be a
pig to get spare parts for! So perhaps reliability should not be the
only criterion.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Grunff

Huge wrote:

Miele.

Hear, hear.

After everything I've read here about Miele, I'm going to have
to give them a try. Has to be better than my current Bosch,
which disappointed me by burning out the motor at 4.5 years old
(2 washes a week, two people, no kids, never overloaded, not the
brushes).

--
Grunff

tony sayer

In article , Huge
writes
wrote:

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

Cheers

Jim

Miele.

Hear, hear.

Yep despite what the two cheap machine merchants might say:-=))..
--
Tony Sayer

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Nozza wrote:
Troll

Dyson.

/Troll

Heh heh. I called into my local Curries to pick up some bags for my
Panasonic vacuum. Naturally, they didn't have any despite having several
of the machines that use the same bag on sale.

But what they *did* have was a vast display of Dyson spares. All I've
ever bought for the Panasonic in over five years apart from bags is a belt
and bulb...

--
*Why is the word abbreviation so long?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
Miele.

Hear, hear.

After everything I've read here about Miele, I'm going to have
to give them a try.

Snip

I gotta agree too. I bought mine after Andy etc 'raving' about how good
they are and am delighted. Apart from the heavy build - no walking on spin
- it's sooooo quiet.

--
*The e-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Conrad Edwards

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:47:03 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Grunff wrote:
Miele.

Hear, hear.

After everything I've read here about Miele, I'm going to have
to give them a try.

Snip

I gotta agree too. I bought mine after Andy etc 'raving' about how good
they are and am delighted. Apart from the heavy build - no walking on spin
- it's sooooo quiet.

If you're quick....
Miele are offering 5 and 10yr warranties on some models
Allders will sell yuo one on 12month interest free credit
Allders were also giving away two free bathrobes

Just got a Miele W404+, very solid build.

Bob Eager

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:38:21 UTC, Grunff wrote:

Has to be better than my current Bosch,
which disappointed me by burning out the motor at 4.5 years old
(2 washes a week, two people, no kids, never overloaded, not the
brushes).

Interesting. Our Hotpoint is now 9 years old, about six washes a week.
One set of brushes and one set of bearings (a pain, but not too
expensive). Oh, and a replacement cable tie for a hose.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Dave Plowman
writes

But what they *did* have was a vast display of Dyson spares.

But the Dyson spares come in such pretty colours!

--
A. Top posters.

Gnube

LOL!

You do realize I am going to have to steal that now don't you!

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 05:46:14 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

A. Top posters.

Take Care,
Gnube
{so, do YOU know anyone who won the Readers Digest Draw?}
4e-mail replace spamtrap with usenet
R P McMurphy

"JimM" wrote in message
| I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
| particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
| better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)
|
| Cheers
|
| Jim
|

| --
| Remove BRAIN before replying

don't never, ever buy a Hoover.

rpm

rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Our Hotpoint Washer/Dryer timer has now completely worn out. Been a faithful
servant for 17 (yes seventeen) years, 6 washes a week, one drum bearing, one
pump, and one replacement door lock later. Time to replace.

Every rants about Miele etc, with 5 and 10 year guarantees. Even if you buy
a £300 machine with 5 year parts and labour included, you can still throw
these machines away every 5 years (if you are unlucky) and work out cheaper
than a Miele. They are so heavily weighted in price that it includes 10 year
warranty which is really expensive insurance fiddle in the price.

Nope, I will stick with my 'cheapies' thank you very much, and take my
chances.

Dave

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Dave Gibson wrote:
Nope, I will stick with my 'cheapies' thank you very much, and take my
chances.

Then you'll miss out on the lack of noise and vibration...

--
*Windows will never cease *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
R P McMurphy

"Dave Gibson" wrote in message

| "Bob Eager" wrote in message
| On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:38:21 UTC, Grunff wrote:
|
| Has to be better than my current Bosch,
| which disappointed me by burning out the motor at 4.5 years old
| (2 washes a week, two people, no kids, never overloaded, not the
| brushes).
|
| Interesting. Our Hotpoint is now 9 years old, about six washes a week.
| One set of brushes and one set of bearings (a pain, but not too
| expensive). Oh, and a replacement cable tie for a hose.
|
| --
| Bob Eager
| rde at tavi.co.uk
| PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
| P70...
|

| Our Hotpoint Washer/Dryer timer has now completely worn out. Been a
faithful
| servant for 17 (yes seventeen) years, 6 washes a week, one drum bearing,
one
| pump, and one replacement door lock later. Time to replace.
|
| Every rants about Miele etc, with 5 and 10 year guarantees. Even if you
buy
| a £300 machine with 5 year parts and labour included, you can still throw
| these machines away every 5 years (if you are unlucky) and work out
cheaper
| than a Miele. They are so heavily weighted in price that it includes 10
year
| warranty which is really expensive insurance fiddle in the price.
|
| Nope, I will stick with my 'cheapies' thank you very much, and take my
| chances.
|
| Dave

apparently(some one here mentioned not long ago..apparently a write up by
'which?' or similar), candy is very reliable and also very cheap...second
only on the reliability score to miele.

rpm

Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:56:39 UTC, "Dave Gibson"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:38:21 UTC, Grunff wrote:

Has to be better than my current Bosch,
which disappointed me by burning out the motor at 4.5 years old
(2 washes a week, two people, no kids, never overloaded, not the
brushes).

Interesting. Our Hotpoint is now 9 years old, about six washes a week.
One set of brushes and one set of bearings (a pain, but not too
expensive). Oh, and a replacement cable tie for a hose.

Our Hotpoint Washer/Dryer timer has now completely worn out. Been a faithful
servant for 17 (yes seventeen) years, 6 washes a week, one drum bearing, one
pump, and one replacement door lock later. Time to replace.

Nope, I will stick with my 'cheapies' thank you very much, and take my
chances.

Oh yes...we bought a Hotpoint dryer at the same time (9 years ago). No
failures at all.

They are both on a solid floor in a separate room at the back of the
house. Whatever (perceived) noise and vibration there might be is not
evident as we don't live out there.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Dave Gibson

wrote:

Oh yes...we bought a Hotpoint dryer at the same time (9 years ago). No
failures at all.

They are both on a solid floor in a separate room at the back of the
house. Whatever (perceived) noise and vibration there might be is not
evident as we don't live out there.

--

Agree with you. Our Hotpoint is on a concrete floor in a seperate utility
room. With the door shut you cannot hear a thing.

I don't know where this vibration thing comes from either, if the machine is
correctly levelled and on a solid base there should be none.

As I said before, nothing that has been said here will disuade me from
buying another (1 or 2!) cheapies, I think they are much better value for
money.

As far as I am concerned, buying an extremly expensive washing machine is
akin to to having hand crafted french polished solid mahogony ceiling
joists - makes no difference but a bigger hole in your pocket!

Dave

Mike Tomlinson

In article , Gnube
writes

You do realize I am going to have to steal that now don't you!

Be my guest. I stole it from someone else.

--
A. Top posters.

Dave Gibson

"Huge" wrote in message

Err, no. The average lifetime of a Miele is 22 years.That means you've

spent
£1200 in the same time, some 2.5 times what the Miele owner has.

And how many people who buy a Miele actually keep them 22 years?

I thought they threw them out every 5 years after they ripped out the new
kitchen and refitted with everything that 'matched' ?

Andy Hall

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:58:12 +0100, "Dave Gibson"
wrote:

"Huge" wrote in message

Err, no. The average lifetime of a Miele is 22 years.That means you've

spent
£1200 in the same time, some 2.5 times what the Miele owner has.

And how many people who buy a Miele actually keep them 22 years?

I thought they threw them out every 5 years after they ripped out the new
kitchen and refitted with everything that 'matched' ?

Er no.

We've had our Miele washer for over 12 years and the tumble dryer for
not much less than that. Apart from the very solid build, the
metalwork has shown no signs of deterioration at all, and neither has
the cosmetic appearance.

The design appearance tends to be very plain, neutral and timeless so
there is no reason to change machines on that account.

The newest models have a facility whereby the control firmware can be
updated to account for new detergent technology and fabric types,
which seems eminently sensible if the mechanics are likely to last for
over 20 years.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Conrad Edwards

"R P McMurphy" wrote in message ...
"JimM" wrote in message
| I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
| particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
| better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)
|
| Cheers
|
| Jim
|

| --
| Remove BRAIN before replying

don't never, ever buy a Hoover.

rpm

I think with the cheaper machines you may be lucky and get a good one,
but you may be unlucky and get something that breaks down regularly.
Most manufacturers only offer 1 year guarantee, and you try getting
SoGA invoked on a 2 year old cheapy. Bosch offer a 2 year warranty,
but the purchase price is also higher. Hoover's 5 year parts warranty
seems ok until you realise they charge £80 call out...that's where
they make the money.
A handful of manufacturers make most of the cheapy machines, and seem
to cut costs where they can.
Miele on the other hand charge a large initial amount, but have an
inherently higher quality machine...read the brochures and see.
We had a Hoover, and got fed up of it having one or two faults a year,
and the repair guys not having correct parts etc etc etc
As for £1000 Dysons...does anyone buy them at all?

As an example, just bought a White Knight dryer. The old version model
has a handle to open the drum door latch. The new model doesn't have a
handle, you just pull the door to force the latch open. Perhaps this
saves the manufacturer 50p per machine, but it makes that part an
obvious one to fail quickly due to wear and tear. Even the sales
person in the shop couldn't believe they had been so cheap as to
remove the handle.
Andrew McKay

wrote:

I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there any
particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as being
better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)

We've been married over 25 years, and in that time must have got thru
about half a dozen washing machines.

We reached the conclusion that the cheaper the washing machine is, the
more noisy it will be, and the more likely it is that it will decide
to walk around the kitchen. It's one of those situations where you get
false economies by buying at the low end - save a couple of hundred
quid to cost several times that over a lifetime.

The reason for these problems is because on the cheaper models they
are pretty much slapped together, and don't have features like soft
start - they go from zero revs to full speed instantly. Whereas
something like a more costly Zanussi will slowly build up the spin
speed over a couple of seconds. We've come to the conclusion that
Zanussi is about as good as we want to pay for - £400-ish.

Not forgetting that going from zero to full speed not only makes the
WM walk, but it does long term damage to the main bearings.

Andrew

http://www.handymac.co.uk
R P McMurphy

| | I know this may be an 'each to their own' type question, but is there
any
| | particular makes of washing machine that are generally accepted as
being
| | better than others. (When I say better I mean more reliable)
| |
| | Cheers
| |
| | Jim
| |
| |
| |
| | --
| | Remove BRAIN before replying
| |
| don't never, ever buy a Hoover.
|
| rpm
|
| I think with the cheaper machines you may be lucky and get a good one,
| but you may be unlucky and get something that breaks down regularly.
| Most manufacturers only offer 1 year guarantee, and you try getting
| SoGA invoked on a 2 year old cheapy. Bosch offer a 2 year warranty,
| but the purchase price is also higher. Hoover's 5 year parts warranty
| seems ok until you realise they charge £80 call out...that's where
| they make the money.
| A handful of manufacturers make most of the cheapy machines, and seem
| to cut costs where they can.
| Miele on the other hand charge a large initial amount, but have an
| inherently higher quality machine...read the brochures and see.
| We had a Hoover, and got fed up of it having one or two faults a year,
| and the repair guys not having correct parts etc etc etc
| As for £1000 Dysons...does anyone buy them at all?
|
| As an example, just bought a White Knight dryer. The old version model
| has a handle to open the drum door latch. The new model doesn't have a
| handle, you just pull the door to force the latch open. Perhaps this
| saves the manufacturer 50p per machine, but it makes that part an
| obvious one to fail quickly due to wear and tear. Even the sales
| person in the shop couldn't believe they had been so cheap as to
| remove the handle.

aamoi (as a matter of interest...is that a commonly used ab.?), i have a
white knight dryer in a care home used atleast 4 times a day...a little less
in the summer. it is over 5 years old and has had no faults. i am well
impressed by it! it has a auto shut off when clothes are dry rather than a
timer so i suppose this reduces the amount of mechanical things that cud
break i suppose. how ever i am expecting its demise at some stage so am
seriously thinking about getting a gas version.

rpm

The Natural Philosopher

Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 19:38:21 UTC, Grunff wrote:

Has to be better than my current Bosch,
which disappointed me by burning out the motor at 4.5 years old
(2 washes a week, two people, no kids, never overloaded, not the
brushes).

Interesting. Our Hotpoint is now 9 years old, about six washes a week.
One set of brushes and one set of bearings (a pain, but not too
expensive). Oh, and a replacement cable tie for a hose.

Well I have a hotpoint that was made in about 1985, and its had two
replacement door frames and hinges and a replacement door seal ONLY in
that time. Its tatty as hell, but still used weekly./

OTOH the 'newer' hotpoint bought a few years ago smashed its concrete
blocks off - now glued on with car body filler - and eats socks faster
than the puppy. Its simply got a HUGE gap beteen inner and outer drum.

I'd say its utter crap really.

rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Our Hotpoint Washer/Dryer timer has now completely worn out. Been a faithful
servant for 17 (yes seventeen) years, 6 washes a week, one drum bearing, one
pump, and one replacement door lock later. Time to replace.

Every rants about Miele etc, with 5 and 10 year guarantees. Even if you buy
a £300 machine with 5 year parts and labour included, you can still throw
these machines away every 5 years (if you are unlucky) and work out cheaper
than a Miele. They are so heavily weighted in price that it includes 10 year
warranty which is really expensive insurance fiddle in the price.

Nope, I will stick with my 'cheapies' thank you very much, and take my
chances.

Just don't buy a late model hotpoint tho - see my previous post.

The trouble is that there used tyo be basic good no frills machines
available cheap.

Now they spend the money not on good design, but on fancy packaging
(e.g. Dyson) and things like substantial bearings, tanklike construction
and well overreted everything with siom0ple comntrols are sacfricied for
flimsy constructiong, sloppy tolerances - but a supah doopah
Microprocessor that allows them to calim energy ratings for washing
socks in tepid water that may save the whales, but won't get the
encrusted dog turds off a teflon politician.

Dave

The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Dave Gibson wrote:

Nope, I will stick with my 'cheapies' thank you very much, and take my
chances.

Then you'll miss out on the lack of noise and vibration...

Who cares? I have separate rooms for the washing machines.

I don't purt them in a recording studio :-)

Conrad Edwards

Dave Plowman wrote in message ...
In article ,
R P McMurphy wrote:
aamoi (as a matter of interest...is that a commonly used ab.?), i have a
white knight dryer in a care home used atleast 4 times a day...a little
less in the summer. it is over 5 years old and has had no faults. i am
well impressed by it! it has a auto shut off when clothes are dry
rather than a timer so i suppose this reduces the amount of mechanical
things that cud break i suppose. how ever i am expecting its demise at
some stage so am seriously thinking about getting a gas version.

A drier is one of the more simple of domestic appliances - much more so
than a washing machine.

Wouldn't a drier used for commercial purposes have a different
guarantee compared to one used for a general household? , but the gas
driers do appear to potentially have some major cost savings depending
what power tariffs you are on.
Edward W. Thompson

stop to full speed "instantly" damages bearings? Care to explain
this?

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 08:48:04 +0100, Andrew McKay
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:31:54 +0100, "JimM"
wrote:
snip
- they go from zero revs to full speed instantly. Whereas
something like a more costly Zanussi will slowly build up the spin
speed over a couple of seconds. We've come to the conclusion that
Zanussi is about as good as we want to pay for - £400-ish.

Not forgetting that going from zero to full speed not only makes the
WM walk, but it does long term damage to the main bearings.

Andrew

http://www.handymac.co.uk

Junior Member

[QUOTE

And how many people who buy a Miele actually keep them 22 years?

I thought they threw them out every 5 years after they ripped out the new
kitchen and refitted with everything that 'matched' ?[/quote]

Just speaking for my Family we purchased a Miele in 1987 and it is still going well now ~ there were 8 in the family in 1987 and there are now 6 living at home ~ the unit is in use most days.

The Miele is in a separate Laundry room so is separate from the kitchen but is still very good in its external appearance ~ not bad for 26 years?

Tom Jones