Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where can I buy styrofoam? is it anygood? ideas please ('replacement' window)

I need to leave fairly small-medium window wide open

I have been told about something called 'styrofoam'

can anyone recommend any websites? I have googled it but am a bit
conufsed by the number of different types of foam.

(need to leave a little hole in the corner for an antenna - I can cut
this out myself)
(window is only to be left open for a few hours at a time and opens out
onto private courtyard with CCTV and is high up so no security risk)

I'm hoping someone here can help me! thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Slurp

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need to leave fairly small-medium window wide open

I have been told about something called 'styrofoam'

can anyone recommend any websites? I have googled it but am a bit
conufsed by the number of different types of foam.

(need to leave a little hole in the corner for an antenna - I can cut
this out myself)
(window is only to be left open for a few hours at a time and opens out
onto private courtyard with CCTV and is high up so no security risk)

I'm hoping someone here can help me! thanks

Styrofoam is expanded polystyrene.

I think what you are after is 'Plexiglas or Perspex.

Slurp

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

I think what you are after is 'Plexiglas or Perspex.

Or perhaps polycarbonate, which is a similar glass-clear sheeting, a bit
more impact-resistant than acrylic (perspex), although it becomes cloudy and
yellow over some years in direct sunlight. Readily available in the sheds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Styrofoam is expanded polystyrene.

I think what you are after is 'Plexiglas or Perspex.

Slurp

the polysterene will do - keep the heat out..

it's cheaper than perspex anyway, isn't it

I wish there was a website, where I could just enter dimensions & get
delivery (I'm really busy)

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 22:13:54 +0000, Owain wrote:

Frank Erskine wrote:
I wish there was a website, where I could just enter dimensions & get
delivery (I'm really busy)

If it really is expanded polystyrene that you want, B&Q sell it up to
a few inches thick.

Or there will be stacks of it poking out of people's wheelie bins on
Boxing Day.

It can be cut/shaped using a piece of electric fire element wire
connected to a battery or transformer.

Owain

or a breadknife and a light fine grit sanding.