David Hearn

Default Approximate cost of replacement double glazing for bay window

I'd like some rough ideas as to the cost of replacing a bay window. The bay
is about 9' total size and is made up of 1 large window and 2 smaller side
pieces at 45 degrees. The window is about 1.5m high I think. (sorry for mix
of units!).

I'm sure someone said before to estimate about £1.5k for each bay, however
after using some supplier's online calculator, it came out about £3k a bay I
think.

Seeing as we've got 2 bays (downstairs and up) that's a huge price!

So, what would be a reasonable price to have in my head when thinking about
it? £1.5k or £3k a bay? I realise things can vary a lot between companies
and areas, but I'm just after a ballpark figure. I'm in Guildford, Surrey
BTW.

Thanks

David

Bob Mannix

"David Hearn" wrote in message
[...]

The only way to find out is to ask for quotes (obviously). I would think the
£1.5k is more like it - we recently had a bay similar to the one you
describe, plus an upstairs window plus a large glazed french door set with
full height windows either side from not the cheapest company around and it
was £4.5k uPVC-coated aluminium frames rather than uPVC (which also adds a
premium) (Oxfordshire).

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Christian McArdle

So, what would be a reasonable price to have in my head when
thinking about it? £1.5k or £3k a bay? I realise things can
vary a lot between companies and areas, but I'm just after
a ballpark figure.

What material? Sash or casement? How many opening lights?

Supply only, or supply and fit?

AFAICT, the price fitted will be about 10 times the cost of materials,
unless decent hardwood is used.

Christian.

David Hearn

Christian McArdle wrote:
So, what would be a reasonable price to have in my head when
thinking about it? £1.5k or £3k a bay? I realise things can
vary a lot between companies and areas, but I'm just after
a ballpark figure.

What material? Sash or casement? How many opening lights?

Supply only, or supply and fit?

AFAICT, the price fitted will be about 10 times the cost of materials,
unless decent hardwood is used.

Okay, I'm thinking of uPVC frames, casement windows with the 2 side parts of
the bay having top openers and side openers for the bottom part and I want
it fitted. Obviously, as its a bay, the frames must be stronger/whatever is
necessary.

That's what I've got in my head anyway.

Thanks

Christian McArdle

Okay, I'm thinking of uPVC frames, casement windows with the 2 side
parts of the bay having top openers and side openers for the bottom
part and I want it fitted.

Well my parents had a HUGE bay done in quality hardwood (may have been oak,
not sure). Each window was an opening sash. They were double glazed,
draughtproofed and factory coated in acrylic. They came with a 100 year
guarantee. Cost was around 3000 quid fitted very professionally. Your
original quote seems very high unless they were factoring in structural
repairs to the bay.

BTW, you may find that the window frames are structural. Replacement with
uPVC may result in collapse.

Christian.

BillR

Christian McArdle wrote:
Okay, I'm thinking of uPVC frames, casement windows with the 2 side
parts of the bay having top openers and side openers for the bottom
part and I want it fitted.

Well my parents had a HUGE bay done in quality hardwood (may have
been oak, not sure). Each window was an opening sash. They were
double glazed, draughtproofed and factory coated in acrylic. They
came with a 100 year guarantee. Cost was around 3000 quid fitted very
professionally. Your original quote seems very high unless they were
factoring in structural repairs to the bay.

BTW, you may find that the window frames are structural. Replacement
with uPVC may result in collapse.

Christian.

How true. My local supplier told me he once saw some Anglian fitters take
out a whole downstairs bay without support.
The householder, who had just come home to see how they were getting on, was
less than happy when the upstairs bay etc collapsed onto his BMW. The repair
costs for the house alone were £30k

Tony Bryer

In article ,
Christian McArdle wrote:
BTW, you may find that the window frames are structural.
Replacement with uPVC may result in collapse.

Unless done by someone know knows what they are doing (which with
window installers may be questionable) - see "BAY WATCH - The
Disaster Movie" (a fairly old page but probably still valid)
http://www.expertexpert.com/bays.htm

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

Tim

Christian McArdle wrote:
Well my parents had a HUGE bay done in quality hardwood (may have
been oak, not sure). Each window was an opening sash. They were
double glazed, draughtproofed and factory coated in acrylic. They
came with a 100 year guarantee. Cost was around 3000 quid fitted very
professionally. Your original quote seems very high unless they were
factoring in structural repairs to the bay.

Who was the supplier?

Christian McArdle

Who was the supplier?

I think it might have been the Original Box Sash Window Company. If not, it
was a very similar company.

http://www.boxsash.com/

Christian.