Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Window replacement hardware

Hi,

My windows are aluminum and at least 30 years old. They slide up and down
OK, but some of the hardware is broken. Especially the plastic parts. Do
not know the brand, as it's not stamped anywhere, or at least I cannot find
it.

Is there are place where replacement hardware can be found for these?
Regardless of manufacturer, I suspect the hardware came from the same place
for many brands of windows. There's a spring, cord with hook, a couple
plastic pulleys, all in an aluminum channel.

Regards,

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob

RichK wrote:
Hi,

My windows are aluminum and at least 30 years old. They slide up
and down OK, but some of the hardware is broken. Especially the
plastic parts. Do not know the brand, as it's not stamped anywhere,
or at least I cannot find it.

Is there are place where replacement hardware can be found for these?
Regardless of manufacturer, I suspect the hardware came from the same
place for many brands of windows. There's a spring, cord with hook,
a couple plastic pulleys, all in an aluminum channel.

Regards,

Rich

Rich,

I've used http://www.blainewindow.com/ for some replacement parts for my
vinyl windows; http://www.strybuc.com/ also has a good sized catalog.

Sounds like you need a window sash balance - a good local window repair
place should be able to order what you need, based on size. For what it's
worth, I've fixed a number of those on my windows after the cord broke from
age.

Hope this helps.
Bob.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"RichK" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,

My windows are aluminum and at least 30 years old. They slide up and

down
OK, but some of the hardware is broken. Especially the plastic parts. Do
not know the brand, as it's not stamped anywhere, or at least I cannot

find
it.

Is there are place where replacement hardware can be found for these?
Regardless of manufacturer, I suspect the hardware came from the same

place
for many brands of windows. There's a spring, cord with hook, a couple
plastic pulleys, all in an aluminum channel.

Regards,

Rich

Order a catalog from www.blainewindow.com
or
www.strybuc.com

One or the other has just about every part you could ever need. Not the best
for web shopping. To find your part you need the catalogs.

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

"Bob"

Rich,

I've used http://www.blainewindow.com/ for some replacement parts for my
vinyl windows; http://www.strybuc.com/ also has a good sized catalog.

Thanks for the links - looks like both responses gave the same links - must
be good:-)

Sounds like you need a window sash balance - a good local window repair
place should be able to order what you need, based on size. For what it's
worth, I've fixed a number of those on my windows after the cord broke

from
age.

So that's what it's called. These are not so old, where there was a hefty
weight and good size cord.

What I have is spring and fairly thin cord, with small pulleys. Is it still
called a balance?

Rich

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom Miller

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:09:43 GMT, "RichK" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| My windows are aluminum and at least 30 years old. They slide up and down
| OK, but some of the hardware is broken. Especially the plastic parts. Do
| not know the brand, as it's not stamped anywhere, or at least I cannot find
| it.
|
| Is there are place where replacement hardware can be found for these?
| Regardless of manufacturer, I suspect the hardware came from the same place
| for many brands of windows. There's a spring, cord with hook, a couple
| plastic pulleys, all in an aluminum channel.
|
| Regards,
|
| Rich

Here's a place for window hardware I've used. I've purchased about a
half-dozen tube balances from them in the last few years, although I
think you need to look at the channel balances. Not an easy website,
but if you call them they will answer questions patiently and
politely.

http://www.homewindowrepair.com/balance.html

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"RichK" wrote in message
ink.net...

I've used http://www.blainewindow.com/ for some replacement parts for my
vinyl windows; http://www.strybuc.com/ also has a good sized catalog.

What I have is spring and fairly thin cord, with small pulleys. Is it

still
called a balance?

Normally yes. It might be called a counter-weight by some. There may also
be some other term I am not familiar with. That is why looking thought the
catalogs is the best way to go.

I have to disagree with the poster who said you should be able to find it
locally. I live in a decent sized Metro area. Everyone here wants to sell
replacement windows. They are not interested in selling parts.

Best wishes,

Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bert

So that's what it's called. These are not so old, where there was a hefty
weight and good size cord.

What I have is spring and fairly thin cord, with small pulleys. Is it still
called a balance?

Rich

That style is known as a "block and tackle" type balance

MikeB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill

Colbyt wrote:

I have to disagree with the poster who said you should be able to find it
locally. I live in a decent sized Metro area. Everyone here wants to sell
replacement windows. They are not interested in selling parts.

Best wishes,

Colbyt

I have had no trouble finding window parts locally. Try
an aluminum company that sells windows, carports, etc.
If you go to a window company they well may try to sell
you replacement windows. A general sales company will
be much less likely to try to sell their specialty.

Bill Gill