Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

Default Who knows what a Tauchsieder is in English?

This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

By the way, I mean one that plugs into the mains, not the car ciggie
lighter.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gary Cavie

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

Try:

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?s=heater&x=0&y=0

About 2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you
wanted, or were you after a mains version?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

MM typed

By the way, I mean one that plugs into the mains, not the car ciggie
lighter.

MM

Try Googling for 'beverage heater'.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:42:15 -0000, Gary Cavie
wrote:

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

Try:

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?s=heater&x=0&y=0

About 2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you
wanted, or were you after a mains version?

Thanks, Gary, but yes, I want a mains version. I can get one in
Germany from any department store that has an electrical section (e.g.
Karstadt), but I've never seen them in Britain.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

MM typed

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:42:15 -0000, Gary Cavie
wrote:

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

Try:

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?s=heater&x=0&y=0

About 2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you
wanted, or were you after a mains version?

Thanks, Gary, but yes, I want a mains version. I can get one in
Germany from any department store that has an electrical section (e.g.
Karstadt), but I've never seen them in Britain.

MM

I've seen them advertised in things like the Innovations catalogue and
on sale in 'travel' type shops/departments.

I think my Dad has one but I have no idea where he bought it.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
MM writes:
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 18:42:15 -0000, Gary Cavie
wrote:

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

Searching for Cup Immersion Heater turns up lots.

Thanks, Gary, but yes, I want a mains version. I can get one in
Germany from any department store that has an electrical section (e.g.
Karstadt), but I've never seen them in Britain.

Years ago, it was a common Pifco product in the UK (I had
one at university, and it's probably still somewhere in the
family). I've still seen them around, but not as frequently
nowadays.

Would be rather slow heating a saucepan, although a former
colleague used to use one to boil a teapot on her desk.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

MM wrote:
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

Yo'ur talking about a "beverage heater", a girl had one of these when I
was a student in halls (in the early 80s), she called it a beaker
heater, it worked of the mains so they must exist/be available. Maybe a
speciality electrical shop?

Having a quick grep on the 'net all I can see is 12V versions,
would one of these with some sort of mains adaptor not work?
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

soup wrote:
MM wrote:
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

Having a quick grep on the 'net all I can see is 12V versions,
would one of these with some sort of mains adaptor not work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...photohost ing
or
http://tinyurl.com/7ppee
Shows a mains example from Plymouth maybe an E-Bay search
--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NikV

"MM" wrote in message
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

http://www.griffinandgeorge.co.uk/

browse catalogue - and search for 'immersion heater' - pick the one suitable
for water

http://www.catalogue.fisher.co.uk/pdf/0824apps.pdf'

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:35:30 +0000, MM wrote:

| This is what I can buy in Germany:
| http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp
|
| You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
| Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
| for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
| "immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
| water tank in the airing cupboard.

I had one but would never get another. IMO too dangerous. They
burned out rather spectacularly. Tipped the mug over and charred the
carpet, but I caught it in time :-) The equivalent safe bit of kit is
a tiny 240V electric kettle, about 3/4 lifter about 750W. They are
quite common, but I can not find a picture of one on sale on line.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

| In article ,
| says...
| This is what I can buy in Germany:

http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

| You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
| Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
| for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
| "immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
| water tank in the airing cupboard.
|
| MM
|

| Try:
|
| http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?s=heater&x=0&y=0
|
| About 2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you
| wanted, or were you after a mains version?

The 12V versions are IME drastically underpowered, threw mine away.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
IME they work :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 19:58:48 GMT, "soup" wrote:

soup wrote:
MM wrote:
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

Having a quick grep on the 'net all I can see is 12V versions,
would one of these with some sort of mains adaptor not work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...photohost ing
or
http://tinyurl.com/7ppee
Shows a mains example from Plymouth maybe an E-Bay search

Yep, that's the kind of thing, though according to the seller's notes
it doesn't have burn-out protection (which the more expensive German
ones do).

By the way, the 12V version would probably be enough for a mug of
water, but not a saucepan full. But it would be a lot of hassle
obtaining a suitable a mains adapter. I may just have to be patient
until I next pop over to Hamburg at Christmas.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 20:27:36 -0000, "NikV"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
.. .
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

http://www.griffinandgeorge.co.uk/

browse catalogue - and search for 'immersion heater' - pick the one suitable
for water

No, nothing like what I'm looking for. The kind of coiled element
'beaker heater' I'm looking for costs around a tenner.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 21:09:37 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:35:30 +0000, MM wrote:

| This is what I can buy in Germany:
| http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp
|
| You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
| Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
| for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
| "immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
| water tank in the airing cupboard.

I had one but would never get another. IMO too dangerous. They
burned out rather spectacularly. Tipped the mug over and charred the
carpet, but I caught it in time :-) The equivalent safe bit of kit is
a tiny 240V electric kettle, about 3/4 lifter about 750W. They are
quite common, but I can not find a picture of one on sale on line.

Many things are is dangerous if one doesn't take sufficient care.
Think: chain saw, electric drill, electric carving knife, electric
plane, and a 101 things besides. Also, some of the latest ones come
with burn-out protection. I am beginning to think the dearth of
suppliers in the UK is down to the nanny state having declared them to
be unsafe or undesirable. No worries. I'll just buy mine in Germany.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
NikV

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 20:27:36 -0000, "NikV"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

http://www.griffinandgeorge.co.uk/

browse catalogue - and search for 'immersion heater' - pick the one
suitable
for water

No, nothing like what I'm looking for. The kind of coiled element
'beaker heater' I'm looking for costs around a tenner.

MM

really - apart from the colour and price it looks the same to me 1000w
https://www.catalogue.fisher.co.uk/J...t-301-010f.jpg
--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike ring

MM wrote in
:

I am beginning to think the dearth of
suppliers in the UK is down to the nanny state having declared them to
be unsafe or undesirable. No worries. I'll just buy mine in Germany.

I think you may be right - however I thought my one was dngerous enough to
ditch for one of the diddy kettles for me cupasoup at work

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike ring

mike ring wrote in
. 1.4:

If you google for "travel kettle" you'll find millions, including one from
Argos

mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NikV

"MM" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 20:27:36 -0000, "NikV"
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
. ..
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

http://www.griffinandgeorge.co.uk/

browse catalogue - and search for 'immersion heater' - pick the one
suitable
for water

No, nothing like what I'm looking for. The kind of coiled element
'beaker heater' I'm looking for costs around a tenner.

MM

looks pretty much like your picture to me

https://www.catalogue.fisher.co.uk/J...t-301-010f.jpg

--
(º·.¸(¨*·.¸ ¸.·*¨)¸.·º)
.·°·. NIK .·°·.
(¸.·º(¸.·¨* *¨·.¸)º·.¸)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , MM
writes

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?s=heater&x=0&y=0

About 2/3 of the way down the page - 12volt version. Is that what you
wanted, or were you after a mains version?

Thanks, Gary, but yes, I want a mains version. I can get one in
Germany from any department store that has an electrical section (e.g.
Karstadt), but I've never seen them in Britain.

I've got one. I think i bought it in the UK (I haven't seen it for years
and can't remember what sort of plug's on the end of it)

Prolly bought it in Woollies or somewhere

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Magee

In message , MM
writes
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

MM

Hi,

Back from my time living in Ffm, SWMBO and I have learnt to search on
google.de for those things which the Germans just do well, or just
expect to buy as on any day out. You might even try amazon.de.

[gentle mickey take]

After your time in Germany, I would have hoped
you would have learnt enough German to search
for a "tasche tauchsieder" or even just a
"tauchsieder" ;-)

(ie, a "cup" immersion heater / cup heater).

[/gentle mickey take]

The first shop result on google.de brings up four different mains
powered ones.

One of the good things about being in the EU is that they will usually
ship to the UK - and even with shipping it is often still cheaper than
then the UK.

Mit Freundliche Grussen!

http://www.billmagee.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

Cup boiler. Here's one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6583283530

Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup

MM wrote:
Many things are is dangerous if one doesn't take sufficient care.
Think: chain saw, electric drill, electric carving knife, electric
plane, and a 101 things besides.

All those things are on only when the operator has a hold of them
whereas the "beverage heater" is pretty much left to its own devices.

No worries. I'll just buy mine in Germany.

Will there not be voltage/plug type issues. Something at the back of my
mind says the voltage is more or less the same all over the EU. Fairly
trivial to change to a "British" plug but would it be worth it? "Spare"
plugs lying about? Would changing the plug invalidate any guarantee?
Do you care about any guarantee on such a low priced item?

--
This post contains no hidden meanings, no implications and certainly no
hidden agendas so it should be taken at face value. The wrong words
may be used this is due to my limitations with the English language .

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:24:31 +0000, Owain
wrote:

| Andrew Gabriel wrote:
| Years ago, it was a common Pifco product in the UK (I had
| one at university, and it's probably still somewhere in the
| family). I've still seen them around, but not as frequently
| nowadays.
|
| One place I worked we weren't allowed a kettle because of "health and
| safety" but we were allowed one of them cup-boilers.
|
| Their main weakness is that, unlike soldering irons, they don't usually
| have a convenient stand to put them when hot, but not in use.

And the flex drags them and the mug over if you are not very careful.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Sick of Premium SMS scams,
SMS marketing, Direct marketing phone calls, Silent phone calls?
Register with http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
IME they work :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:40:57 GMT, Bill Magee wrote:

After your time in Germany, I would have hoped
you would have learnt enough German to search
for a "tasche tauchsieder" or even just a
"tauchsieder" ;-)

(ie, a "cup" immersion heater / cup heater).

Ahem. "tasche" is yer pocket.

No wonder they're considered unsafe.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:47:52 -0000, "NikV"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry, I didn't see that one. I'll have another look. You're right, it
is pretty much what I'm looking for.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 4 Dec 2005 23:00:41 GMT, mike ring
wrote:

MM wrote in
:

I am beginning to think the dearth of
suppliers in the UK is down to the nanny state having declared them to
be unsafe or undesirable. No worries. I'll just buy mine in Germany.

I think you may be right - however I thought my one was dngerous enough to
ditch for one of the diddy kettles for me cupasoup at work

I think it's the difference between states of mind! Germans are much
more pragmatic by nature.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 21:47:52 -0000, "NikV"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"MM" wrote in message
[...]

However!!!!! I have just been back to the site and checked the price -
£117.90!!!!! One hundred and seventeen pounds!

These things are around a tenner in German department stores.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On 4 Dec 2005 23:03:37 GMT, mike ring
wrote:

mike ring wrote in
.1.4:

If you google for "travel kettle" you'll find millions, including one from
Argos

I can't see any coil immersion heater listed in either the latest
Argos catalogue or on their web site. I searched the Argos site for
"immersion" and "boiler".

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 06:41:28 GMT, "soup" wrote:

MM wrote:
Many things are is dangerous if one doesn't take sufficient care.
Think: chain saw, electric drill, electric carving knife, electric
plane, and a 101 things besides.

All those things are on only when the operator has a hold of them
whereas the "beverage heater" is pretty much left to its own devices.

No worries. I'll just buy mine in Germany.

Will there not be voltage/plug type issues. Something at the back of my
mind says the voltage is more or less the same all over the EU. Fairly
trivial to change to a "British" plug but would it be worth it? "Spare"
plugs lying about? Would changing the plug invalidate any guarantee?
Do you care about any guarantee on such a low priced item?

My Dual hi-fi equipment, power drill, and several other electrical
items bought in Germany work fine in the UK. I'm not worried about a
guarantee on a low cost item like a Tauchsieder. By the way, the
*literal* translation is dip boiler or dipping boiler - you dip it
into the liquid (as opposed to a typical British immersion heater that
is installed in a water tank as a fixture).

If anyone is visiting Germany and I have now triggered an urge for
them to acquire such an amazing utensil for themselves, this is how
you ask for it: "towk zeeder" - sorry, I can't do the proper "ch"
sound in writing, but the shop should understand.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Magee

In message , Thomas Prufer
writes
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:40:57 GMT, Bill Magee wrote:

After your time in Germany, I would have hoped
you would have learnt enough German to search
for a "tasche tauchsieder" or even just a
"tauchsieder" ;-)

(ie, a "cup" immersion heater / cup heater).

Ahem. "tasche" is yer pocket.

Tasse Tasse Tasse. It's been a while :-)

http://www.billmagee.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:40:57 GMT, Bill Magee
wrote:

In message , MM
writes
[...]

If you check back to my first three posts on this subject you'll note
that I mentioned Karstadt in my third and "all over Germany" in my
first! I had already done what you suggested (through www.google.de)
several weeks ago, but not posted a message yet.

One of the good things about being in the EU is that they will usually
ship to the UK - and even with shipping it is often still cheaper than
then the UK.

Mit Freundliche Grussen!

[gentle mickey take]

Should be:
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

(You need the dative plural after mit; and the u in Grüßen needs an
umlaut. The adjective freundlich is not spelled with a capital F. The
sharp s, or sz, is not obligatory, but preferable. Some German
typewriters did not have the character, so ss was an acceptable
alternative. By the way, umlaut is the English rendition of Umlaut,
which, being a German noun, is written with a capital letter.)

Here is an interesting note (in English) about the German double-s:
http://german.about.com/b/a/125792.htm

Here is an excellent page for those beginning German:
http://www.duden.de/index2.html?neue...s/regel21.html

[/gentle mickey take]

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 09:11:17 +0100, Thomas Prufer
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 01:40:57 GMT, Bill Magee wrote:

After your time in Germany, I would have hoped
you would have learnt enough German to search
for a "tasche tauchsieder" or even just a
"tauchsieder" ;-)

(ie, a "cup" immersion heater / cup heater).

Ahem. "tasche" is yer pocket.

No wonder they're considered unsafe.

If they are unsafe, why are the 12v versions apparently still
available in Britain? Could one of those not set the car alight if
left unattended?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 01:57:08 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

Cup boiler. Here's one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6583283530

Nope. The coil is what's important, and this doesn't have one. The
coil in a real Tauchsieder is in direct contact with the water, like
the element in any electric kettle, thus causing rapid boiling in an
instant. When I had one in Germany, I could walk across the room to
where I kept my (English) teabags and by the time I had returned to
the Tauchsieder the water was bubbling nicely. This Pifco thing looks
like the nanny state has been at it! Nice try, though!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Thomas Prufer

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 11:51:51 +0000, MM wrote:

If they are unsafe, why are the 12v versions apparently still
available in Britain? Could one of those not set the car alight if
left unattended?

I'd consider a Tauchsieder unsafe, if it were used in my pocket:
"Tasche-Tauchsieder"...

ebay.de has some, but all the ones I saw had either "Germany only", or silly
prices for shipping to the UK.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 01:57:08 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ,
says...
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

You immerse it in a suacepan or similar container to boil water.
Widely available all over Germany. I never learned the English word
for it! Where can I get one in England? I just did a search for
"immersion heater", but am just getting the kind that fits in the
water tank in the airing cupboard.

Cup boiler. Here's one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=6583283530

Nope. The coil is what's important, and this doesn't have one. The
coil in a real Tauchsieder is in direct contact with the water, like
the element in any electric kettle, thus causing rapid boiling in an
instant.

I know - I had one many years ago.

When I had one in Germany, I could walk across the room to
where I kept my (English) teabags and by the time I had returned to
the Tauchsieder the water was bubbling nicely. This Pifco thing looks
like the nanny state has been at it! Nice try, though!

I thought it looked like a ceramic-element version, rather than
something that had sacrificed simplicity and effectiveness in the name
of safety. But I'm probably wrong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

They're not common here. I'd suggest buying one from Germany, either next
time you are there or over the internet. Some things are just about
impossible to obtain in the UK, like metric only measuring tapes, which I
normally pick up from Carrefour or similar!

The equivalent over here is a travel kettle, presumably because of superior
safety.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

They're not common here. I'd suggest buying one from Germany, either next
time you are there or over the internet. Some things are just about
impossible to obtain in the UK, like metric only measuring tapes, which I
normally pick up from Carrefour or similar!

The equivalent over here is a travel kettle, presumably because of superior
safety.

There's an old Nescafe ad in which a rather attractive young woman dunks one
of these in a mug to make a cup of coffee in a VW Beetle on a beach---but
that's the only place I've ever seen one.
--
SAm.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message
In article ,
"Christian McArdle" writes:
This is what I can buy in Germany:
http://www.karstadt.de/shop/ats_150_tauchsieder.asp

They're not common here. I'd suggest buying one from Germany, either next
time you are there or over the internet. Some things are just about
impossible to obtain in the UK, like metric only measuring tapes, which I
normally pick up from Carrefour or similar!

The equivalent over here is a travel kettle, presumably because of
superior
safety.

There's an old Nescafe ad in which a rather attractive young woman dunks
one
of these in a mug to make a cup of coffee in a VW Beetle on a beach---but
that's the only place I've ever seen one.

They are easily obtainable he

http://www.towsure.com/default.asp?t=248

"Immersion heater" £4.75 about 11th item down

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Christian McArdle

There's an old Nescafe ad in which a rather attractive young woman dunks
one
of these in a mug to make a cup of coffee in a VW Beetle on a beach---but
that's the only place I've ever seen one.

After that add, I spent ages trying to find one and ended up with a 12V
travel kettle. It made a few Pot Noodles on its travels.

Christian.

English Walnut robo hippy Woodturning 10 August 27th 05 08:25 AM
RCA D52W20 Always asks ENGLISH? When Turned on njbok Electronics Repair 4 June 18th 04 04:29 AM
English wheel enthusiasts, look here Ted Bennett Metalworking 3 January 3rd 04 02:56 AM
Using an English wheel marc Metalworking 9 November 15th 03 05:55 AM