Ted Bennett

Default English wheel enthusiasts, look here

I'm interested in fabricating some bicycle fenders (mudguards to you
Brits). Picture a motorcycle fender, but with a much steeper transverse
curve.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the right curves, with a beaded or
folded edge. I have learned a bit about English wheels, but it
feasible to roll the strip by pushing it into the appropiate negative
form?

One difficulty with the English wheel would be that the ones I have seen
would not allow a curve of 180 degree arc.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article
, Ted
Bennett wrote:

I'm interested in fabricating some bicycle fenders (mudguards to you
Brits). Picture a motorcycle fender, but with a much steeper transverse
curve.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the right curves, with a beaded or
folded edge. I have learned a bit about English wheels, but it
feasible to roll the strip by pushing it into the appropiate negative
form?

One difficulty with the English wheel would be that the ones I have seen
would not allow a curve of 180 degree arc.

That is why you need to learn to weld.
You do them in sections and weld them together.
A very common technique.
DougR

Ted Bennett wrote in message .. .
I'm interested in fabricating some bicycle fenders (mudguards to you
Brits). Picture a motorcycle fender, but with a much steeper transverse
curve.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the right curves, with a beaded or
folded edge. I have learned a bit about English wheels, but it
feasible to roll the strip by pushing it into the appropiate negative
form?

One difficulty with the English wheel would be that the ones I have seen
would not allow a curve of 180 degree arc.

Ted,

Build an E-wheel with the adjuster at the top and the lower anvil
mount cantilevered out from the frame to allow doing almost 360 degree
arcs.
Richard Ferguson

You might get more information by asking this question on the yahoo
group, metalshapers. Alternately, there is an English Wheel forum on

http://www.metalmeet.com

I can't visualize what you want to do. I know that one guy who does
motorcycle fenders does the edge of the fender with a miniature english
wheel, with wheels about 1 inch diameter! It is kind of odd and cute
looking. He does most of the shaping with a conventional ewheel, I
think that the edge is done last.

Richard