DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   English wheel enthusiasts, look here (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/13862-english-wheel-enthusiasts-look-here.html)

Ted Bennett January 2nd 04 02:24 AM

English wheel enthusiasts, look here

I'm interested in fabricating some bicycle fenders (mudguards to you
Brits). Picture a motorcycle fender, but with a much steeper transverse
curve.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the right curves, with a beaded or
folded edge. I have learned a bit about English wheels, but it
feasible to roll the strip by pushing it into the appropiate negative
form?

One difficulty with the English wheel would be that the ones I have seen
would not allow a curve of 180 degree arc.

--
Ted Bennett
Portland OR

Ernie Leimkuhler January 2nd 04 06:10 AM

English wheel enthusiasts, look here

In article
, Ted
Bennett wrote:

I'm interested in fabricating some bicycle fenders (mudguards to you
Brits). Picture a motorcycle fender, but with a much steeper transverse
curve.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the right curves, with a beaded or
folded edge. I have learned a bit about English wheels, but it
feasible to roll the strip by pushing it into the appropiate negative
form?

One difficulty with the English wheel would be that the ones I have seen
would not allow a curve of 180 degree arc.

That is why you need to learn to weld.
You do them in sections and weld them together.
A very common technique.

DougR January 2nd 04 11:53 AM

Ted Bennett wrote in message .. .
I'm interested in fabricating some bicycle fenders (mudguards to you
Brits). Picture a motorcycle fender, but with a much steeper transverse
curve.

Looking for suggestions on how to get the right curves, with a beaded or
folded edge. I have learned a bit about English wheels, but it
feasible to roll the strip by pushing it into the appropiate negative
form?

One difficulty with the English wheel would be that the ones I have seen
would not allow a curve of 180 degree arc.

Ted,

Build an E-wheel with the adjuster at the top and the lower anvil
mount cantilevered out from the frame to allow doing almost 360 degree
arcs.

Richard Ferguson January 3rd 04 02:56 AM

English wheel enthusiasts, look here

You might get more information by asking this question on the yahoo
group, metalshapers. Alternately, there is an English Wheel forum on

http://www.metalmeet.com

I can't visualize what you want to do. I know that one guy who does
motorcycle fenders does the edge of the fender with a miniature english
wheel, with wheels about 1 inch diameter! It is kind of odd and cute
looking. He does most of the shaping with a conventional ewheel, I
think that the edge is done last.

Richard