Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default DIY first aid kit.

Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Funfly3

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

cheers,
Pete.

if its not needed why do they put it in the kit?? the kit is insurance I
would rather have things in it that I dont use than not have something one
day you might need
but to add to the list eye rinse always useful

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:52:51 UTC, Pete C wrote:

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

The fabric plasters (the coarse fabric) are really good. Add the similar
strapping reels, for holding the gauze on. The continuous (coarse)
fabric dressing strip is particularly useful.

* Spray on antiseptic powder
* Painkillers?
* Eye bandage
* Wound dressing
* Sharp scissors (for cutting dressings, and cutting away clothes in
dire
emergency)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Packer

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:52:51 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water and then professional help
unless the burn's *very* small (oh, and *don't* burst any blisters).

Some non-alcoholic sterile wipes would be sensible.

Get individually wrapped plasters, not a roll of stuff you cut to size
- it may be convenient, but left lurking in your first aid kit unused
for N years, you can't trust it to be sterile!

Gauze dressings on their own aren't much use. You're better off with
prepared dressings (which have a pad and bandage in one sterile
packet).

Tweezers ought to be sterile and single use, unless you fancy your
chances with infecting the wound.

I would seriously suggest looking at a St John or Red Cross first aid
kit, and preferably get some training with it.

First aid kit =
http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/prod...0056&c1=FK&c2=
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

if its not needed why do they put it in the kit??

What I tend to find with premade kits is they seem to put in lots of
bandages. To be honest I don't actually remember how to use a bandage and
casualty is only 25 mins away so if a big wound needed dressing I could rip
up something like a t-shirt to staunch the bleeding and go and get a
professional to do it properly.

I think the items in a kit should be either items that help reduce harm in
an incident that requires professional help - eyewash is the sort of thing I
mean, and items that will be used in incidents only requiring home based
treatment - plasters savlon etc.

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Henry

Some non-alcoholic sterile wipes would be sensible.

The problem with non-alcoholic wipes, like those which are required in work
place kits, is they don't dry quickly, well the ones I have had to use in
the past, and leave a residue which stops the plaster sticking. This tends
to lead to people ending up wiping the wound area with non sterile tissues
just so that they can get the plaster on and get back to work.

Does anyone know why they don't use alcoholic wipes?

Henry

Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Pete C
writes
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

Angle grinder Safety instructions ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

wrote:

Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

Inadine dressing is very useful for skin-loss wounds.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G

Henry wrote:
Some non-alcoholic sterile wipes would be sensible.

The problem with non-alcoholic wipes, like those which are required
in work place kits, is they don't dry quickly, well the ones I have
had to use in the past, and leave a residue which stops the plaster
sticking. This tends to lead to people ending up wiping the wound
area with non sterile tissues just so that they can get the plaster
on and get back to work.

Does anyone know why they don't use alcoholic wipes?

Because they tend to sting the wound!

For most cuts and [A] burns, as a First Responder when I was working, I was
taught to wrap the wound in [1] cling-film first and then [2] apply a dry
dressing over that.

No other creams or potions were allowed under the HSAW Act and only
sterilised or tap water was to be used on burns of for washing around the
area of a wound (not the wound itself, IIRC) - on small cuts and abrasions,
non-alcoholic wipes could be used and a plaster applied.

[A] This protects the burn and prevents the area from drying out (no
dressing, only apply the cling-film)

[1] This prevents the dressing sticking to the wound to allow easy
removal and prevent the would re-opening when removed.
[2] This applies pressure to the wound to stop bleeding.

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:52:56 +0000, Richard Packer wrote:

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water

Try a more modern course. Although older creams did have about as much
use as a good basting, the modern treatments like Water-Jel are well
worth having. Small squeeze bottle for little stuff, big dressings for
bigger problems.

The only things in my first-aid kits that ever get used are small
dressings, microporous tape to hold them on, and cut-off rubber glove
fingers to keep dirt out for the rest of the day. Tweezers and tea-tree
oil for the innumerable splinters.

The rest of the box has the usual stuff, right up to the chainsaw
amputation dressings. Fortunately I've never needed anything bigger than
a triangular bandage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian C

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

cheers,
Pete.

Supply of clean water.
Bottle of Scotch.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

cheers,
Pete.

A bottle of whisky.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Pete C wrote:
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this
morning, I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY
should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use,
so buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

cheers,
Pete.

A bottle of whisky.

Now that is for use by the first aider ([for recovery purposes only] just in
case he doesn't like the sight of blood) and not the casualty I presume?
:-)

Brian G

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

Pete C wrote:
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

Tourniquet.
Cyanide antidote.
Eye wash.
Small bags for severed fingers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

I'll ask my daughter tomorrow, being a paramedic for London Ambulance she
should know. She certainly knew what to do with my left second & third
fingers last year when they argued with a table saw.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave stanton

I would seriously suggest looking at a St John or Red Cross first aid
kit, and preferably get some training with it.

Best advice I seen so far.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave stanton

Tourniquet.

First aid course have NOT given advice on using these for years because of
the very great risk of causing more damge through incorrect use.

Very bad idea

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Henry" typed

Does anyone know why they don't use alcoholic wipes?

Henry

They STING!!!!

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Packer

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 23:34:16 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:52:56 +0000, Richard Packer wrote:

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water

Try a more modern course.

More modern than last November or the current edition of the First Aid
manual? It was a First Aid *at Work* course mind you, where they are
obliged only to teach stuff that complies with the HASAW Act. Every
time I go for a refresher there are a load more restrictions on what a
First Aider at Work can do - soon we'll only be allowed to dial 999
;-)

Cold running water is still much better at cooling burns than stuff
like gel pads, although I'd consider using them if it was difficult to
get running water to the burn. Unless the burn's really
insignificant, tubes of ointment or sprays are pretty much a waste of
space.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Steve Firth writes:

Tourniquet.
Cyanide antidote.
Eye wash.
Small bags for severed fingers.

Packet of frozen peas in the freezer, useful for taking
severed bits to hospital in, and reducing swelling in
non-severed bits.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Twydell

In message , Pete C
writes
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

cheers,
Pete.

Spray dressing?
Butterfly wotsits for pulling the wound closed.

What happened to the Elastoplast(?) shaped plasters for knuckles and
finger tips? The only ones I found after a brief search were in packs of
100 from an industrial supply company.
--
Peter

Ying tong iddle-i po!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

[...]

The courses I have attended, they all said that once skin is burnt it can't
be retrieved, so the best approach is stop the pain. Water takes away the
heat and reduces, or eliminates, the pain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gizmo

"Pete C" wrote in message
Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Anything else?

Firstly - remove the burn cream !

This first aid kit is fine for home use:
http://www.firstaidwarehouse.co.uk/products/first-aid/first-aid-kits/standard-10-first-aid-kit-plus-(low-risk).html

Plus eye wash:
http://www.firstaidwarehouse.co.uk/p...=80&q=eye+wash

Well worth going on a first aid course. See if your employer will pay for it
;o)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:20:59 GMT, "Funfly3"
wrote:

if its not needed why do they put it in the kit?? the kit is insurance I
would rather have things in it that I dont use than not have something one
day you might need
but to add to the list eye rinse always useful

Some kits conform to Red Cross/St Johns standards. Also, I believe
that kits for workplaces must have certain items.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

wrote:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

I'd add:

Disinfectant

Cotton wool

Sticking plaster on a roll

Scissors

Medical Tape

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth

dave stanton wrote:
Tourniquet.

First aid course have NOT given advice on using these for years because of
the very great risk of causing more damge through incorrect use.

Very bad idea

Sensayuma is not a variety of desert cactus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

dave stanton wrote:

Tourniquet.

First aid course have NOT given advice on using these for years because of
the very great risk of causing more damge through incorrect use.

Very bad idea

Well, it depends.
If you're going to die from blood loss in the next minute, and can't stop
the bleeding with direct pressure, then it's a good thing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark Spice

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 21:52:56 +0000, Richard Packer wrote:

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water

Try a more modern course. Although older creams did have about as much
use as a good basting, the modern treatments like Water-Jel are well
worth having. Small squeeze bottle for little stuff, big dressings for
bigger problems.

The only things in my first-aid kits that ever get used are small
dressings, microporous tape to hold them on, and cut-off rubber glove
fingers to keep dirt out for the rest of the day. Tweezers and tea-tree
oil for the innumerable splinters.

The rest of the box has the usual stuff, right up to the chainsaw
amputation dressings. Fortunately I've never needed anything bigger than
a triangular bandage.

My first aid/medical kit includes plasters, micropore, fabric tape, sterile
needles, sutures and the normal bandages and stuff. I don't use creams and
ungents but I do have a bottle of topical antibiotic powder which is very
good on anything that gets a bit weepy. Personally I am not too worried
about the sterility of a dressing as if the wound is large enough to require
an emergency, improvised dressing it isprobably severe enough that it will
require A&E treatment where it will be debrided etc anyway. If the patient
lives long enough to worry about infection then the first aider has probably
done a reasonable job already.

The one thing that I swear by, to the extent of usually having one in
pocket, is the military field dressing. These are a large, sterile dressing
that come ready to use and wrapped in a waterproof pouch. I carry one on
the principle that everytime I have come across an incident requiring a kit
I haven't had one but all the time I carry a kit I haven't needed it.
Apparently if you leave hay bales around the house they will stop tigers
from eating you in the night too....

Cheers

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Thanks for all the replies, looks like I'll be getting:

Plasters
Tweezers
Eyewash
Antiseptic cream (Burnol )
Two or three big wound dressings
Painkillers
Surgical/medical tape

Also of use:
Note to not hold small items with fingers when angle grinding...

Anyway, found that PVC tape and kitchen roll can make good DIY
plasters...

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

david lang wrote:

She certainly knew what to do with my left second & third
fingers last year when they argued with a table saw.

Chips and gravy? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave stanton

Sensayuma is not a variety of desert cactus.

Well there you go......

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dave stanton

Well, it depends.
If you're going to die from blood loss in the next minute, and can't stop
the bleeding with direct pressure, then it's a good thing.

Yes I agree, but how many would know to relaease the pressure at least
every 10-15 mins, without training.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
david lang

Richard Packer wrote:

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water and then professional help
unless the burn's *very* small (oh, and *don't* burst any blisters).

Having spoken to my paramedic daughter, the burn cream is a definate no no.
Anything you put on a burn has to be removed in A&E.

Ambulance crews use sterile medical grade cling film, but apparently in an
emergency ordinary cling film is better than none.

Her advice is to wrap burns in cling film, keeps them from drying out, keeps
germs away, doesn't rip off skin when removed by A&E crew.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Ian Stirling typed

dave stanton wrote:

Tourniquet.

First aid course have NOT given advice on using these for years because of
the very great risk of causing more damge through incorrect use.

Very bad idea

Well, it depends.
If you're going to die from blood loss in the next minute, and can't stop
the bleeding with direct pressure, then it's a good thing.

If you can't stop the bleeding with direct pressure, you may well worsen
it with a tourniquet. It is much easier to obstruct venous blood flow
than arterial.

Apply greater pressure over a smaller area.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"david lang" typed

Her advice is to wrap burns in cling film, keeps them from drying out,
keeps
germs away, doesn't rip off skin when removed by A&E crew.

Agreed. Transparency of cling film also minimises wound disturbance as
opinions are collected.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Owain typed

david lang wrote:
Ambulance crews use sterile medical grade cling film, but apparently
in an
emergency ordinary cling film is better than none.
Her advice is to wrap burns in cling film, keeps them from drying
out, keeps
germs away, doesn't rip off skin when removed by A&E crew.

Or a clean tesco carrier bag will do (the non-print side against the skin)?

Owain

In a dire emergency, yes but my Tesco bags are neither clean nor transparent.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Frank Erskine

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:56:12 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

(Huge)typed

The most useful thing in my kit is a large supply of sticking plasters
in various sizes and materials.

Remember old sticky plasters sometimes don't stick, so replace them
every three years or so.

They get washed off after only a day or so anyway.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

david lang wrote:
Richard Packer wrote:

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water and then professional help
unless the burn's *very* small (oh, and *don't* burst any blisters).

Having spoken to my paramedic daughter, the burn cream is a definate no no.
Anything you put on a burn has to be removed in A&E.

Ambulance crews use sterile medical grade cling film, but apparently in an
emergency ordinary cling film is better than none.

I burnt my side once on a hot motorcycle exhaust. Lovely big eliptical
burn about 4" long and 1" wide at the widest point.

As soon as I did it I wnet inside, jumped int he shower and sprayed it
with cold water for 10 minutes.

After this I soaked a piece of kitchen roll in water, placed it over
the burn and fixed in place with clingfilm, secured with gaffa tape -
these being the only suitable items to hand. I then had to ride to a&e
where the triage nurse was very complimentary about my bodged up
dressing.

A&E doc stuck a cream on it which oxidises over time (turnign it black
- he was very careful to point out this was normal and didn't mean the
wound had gone necrotic) which caused _instant_ relief. Quite amazed I
was.

--
Steve F