Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Default DIY first aid kit.

"Fitz" typed

A&E doc stuck a cream on it which oxidises over time (turnign it black
- he was very careful to point out this was normal and didn't mean the
wound had gone necrotic) which caused _instant_ relief. Quite amazed I
was.

Ahhh, Flamazine... (silver sulfadiazine) It's the silver that goes
black. I don't think it's used as much now as in the past.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

Frank Erskine typed

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:56:12 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht
wrote:

(Huge)typed

The most useful thing in my kit is a large supply of sticking plasters
in various sizes and materials.

Remember old sticky plasters sometimes don't stick, so replace them
every three years or so.

They get washed off after only a day or so anyway.

Rather less than that iffn they don't stick in the first place...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:49:38 -0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Anyway, found that PVC tape and kitchen roll can make good DIY
plasters...

That's posh - it's usually bog roll and sellotape for me.

If a jobs worth bodging it's worth bodging properly!

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Fitz" typed

A&E doc stuck a cream on it which oxidises over time (turnign it black
- he was very careful to point out this was normal and didn't mean the
wound had gone necrotic) which caused _instant_ relief. Quite amazed I
was.

Ahhh, Flamazine... (silver sulfadiazine) It's the silver that goes
black. I don't think it's used as much now as in the past.

Oh yes. That was it.

This was only in errr 1999 - hospital in coventry somewhere.

Is there something better now?

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Fitz" typed

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Fitz" typed

A&E doc stuck a cream on it which oxidises over time (turnign it black
- he was very careful to point out this was normal and didn't mean the
wound had gone necrotic) which caused _instant_ relief. Quite amazed I
was.

Ahhh, Flamazine... (silver sulfadiazine) It's the silver that goes
black. I don't think it's used as much now as in the past.

Oh yes. That was it.

This was only in errr 1999 - hospital in coventry somewhere.

Is there something better now?

I don't think so (but some of the trendier dressings are said to be
'just as good'), but I've not worked for nearly 3 years. The
disadvantages of Flamazine (staining, bacterial resistance, mess) have
somehow made it fall out of favour.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 29 Nov 2005 01:26:11 -0800, "Fitz"
wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Fitz" typed

A&E doc stuck a cream on it which oxidises over time (turnign it black
- he was very careful to point out this was normal and didn't mean the
wound had gone necrotic) which caused _instant_ relief. Quite amazed I
was.

Ahhh, Flamazine... (silver sulfadiazine) It's the silver that goes
black. I don't think it's used as much now as in the past.

Oh yes. That was it.

This was only in errr 1999 - hospital in coventry somewhere.

Is there something better now?

In Coventry....?? No...

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fitz

wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
"Fitz" typed

A&E doc stuck a cream on it which oxidises over time (turnign it black
- he was very careful to point out this was normal and didn't mean the
wound had gone necrotic) which caused _instant_ relief. Quite amazed I
was.

Ahhh, Flamazine... (silver sulfadiazine) It's the silver that goes
black. I don't think it's used as much now as in the past.

Oh yes. That was it.

This was only in errr 1999 - hospital in coventry somewhere.

Is there something better now?

In Coventry....?? No...

How right you are. I had to work on the outskirts for a year or so on
an industrial estate. Before joining I thought it may be a problem
that I couldn't get into the centre of town easily.

The best thing about that location turned out to be that you couldn't
get into the center of town easily.

--
Steve F

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 10:03:06 GMT, Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

I don't think so (but some of the trendier dressings are said to be
'just as good'), but I've not worked for nearly 3 years. The
disadvantages of Flamazine (staining, bacterial resistance, mess)
have somehow made it fall out of favour.

Bacterial resistance (presumably lack of?) I can see being problem
with a burn but TBH I'd put up with staining or a bit of mess simply
'cause the stuff is so damn good.

Years back when I worked on Casualty (Note: "on" not "in") the A&E
staff nurses who came in as medical consultants loved the stuff,
especially on children. Bring in burnt child screaming in agony, slap
on Flamazine, instant quiet child.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
[...]

I know. Then there's the speech impediment......

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

wrote:

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

In Coventry....?? No...

How right you are. I had to work on the outskirts for a year or so on
an industrial estate. Before joining I thought it may be a problem
that I couldn't get into the centre of town easily.

The best thing about that location turned out to be that you couldn't
get into the center of town easily.

.......but you could drive round it for a couple of hours until a gap
opened up on one of those stupid slip roads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
DJC

Fitz wrote:

In Coventry....?? No...

How right you are. I had to work on the outskirts for a year or so on
an industrial estate. Before joining I thought it may be a problem
that I couldn't get into the centre of town easily.

The best thing about that location turned out to be that you couldn't
get into the center of town easily.

worked/studied four years at the University of Warwick. Which is in
Coventry, and most staff and students seem to live in Leamington

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"