Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian G

Default DIY first aid kit.

Henry wrote:
Some non-alcoholic sterile wipes would be sensible.

The problem with non-alcoholic wipes, like those which are required
in work place kits, is they don't dry quickly, well the ones I have
had to use in the past, and leave a residue which stops the plaster
sticking. This tends to lead to people ending up wiping the wound
area with non sterile tissues just so that they can get the plaster
on and get back to work.

Does anyone know why they don't use alcoholic wipes?

Because they tend to sting the wound!

For most cuts and [A] burns, as a First Responder when I was working, I was
taught to wrap the wound in [1] cling-film first and then [2] apply a dry
dressing over that.

No other creams or potions were allowed under the HSAW Act and only
sterilised or tap water was to be used on burns of for washing around the
area of a wound (not the wound itself, IIRC) - on small cuts and abrasions,
non-alcoholic wipes could be used and a plaster applied.

[A] This protects the burn and prevents the area from drying out (no
dressing, only apply the cling-film)

[1] This prevents the dressing sticking to the wound to allow easy
removal and prevent the would re-opening when removed.
[2] This applies pressure to the wound to stop bleeding.

Brian G