Posted to uk.d-i-y
Richard Packer

Default DIY first aid kit.

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:52:51 +0000, Pete C
wrote:

Hi,

Having given two of my fingertips a light angle grinding this morning,
I got thinking about what a good first aid kit for DIY should have.

A lot of the bigger pre-made kits seem to have stuff I'd never use, so
buying the stuff separately would be a lot better.

So for starters it could include:

Plasters (lots, fabric/waterproof)
Tweezers
Gauze dressing
Burn cream

Burn cream?!?!? Every first aid course I've ever been on says the
only treatment for burns is plenty of water and then professional help
unless the burn's *very* small (oh, and *don't* burst any blisters).

Some non-alcoholic sterile wipes would be sensible.

Get individually wrapped plasters, not a roll of stuff you cut to size
- it may be convenient, but left lurking in your first aid kit unused
for N years, you can't trust it to be sterile!

Gauze dressings on their own aren't much use. You're better off with
prepared dressings (which have a pad and bandage in one sterile
packet).

Tweezers ought to be sterile and single use, unless you fancy your
chances with infecting the wound.

I would seriously suggest looking at a St John or Red Cross first aid
kit, and preferably get some training with it.

First aid kit =
http://www.stjohnsupplies.co.uk/prod...0056&c1=FK&c2=