Blair

Default Drilling ceramic tiles

I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know
how I drill the hole.
Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.
I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but they are
rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the tile
Blair

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Blair wrote:
I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to
know how I drill the hole.
Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.
I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but they
are rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the tile
Blair

Rawl plugs is adequate for this job as they will expand(open up), behind
the plaster.
Put masking tape on either side of the toilet roll holes, mark their
position and drill with a normal small masonary bit.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Calvin

Carefully.
My way (there are probably better ways but mine's never failed me) is
to use a masonary bit to grind the tile down. Put a piece of tape over
the target to stop the bit slipping. Set the drill to non-hammer
action (important) and very carefully and slowly drill/grind the tile.
Don't push. Once you're through switch to whatever drill and technique
is appropriate for the sub-surface, if you're on plasterboard then a
twist bit sounds good.
The other important consideration is that the body of the wall plug
*must* finish below the tile. If it doesn't the screw will exert force
sideways onto the tile and crack it. That gives you a limited choice
of fixings for your plasterboard wall as a lot of them rely on a flange
which sits against the surface. I often end up modifying plugs to make
them work with tiles.
Good luck.

Peter Taylor

"Blair" wrote in message
I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know
how I drill the hole.
Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.
I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but they are
rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the tile
Blair

The most important thing is to stop the drill wandering, so first stick a
piece of masking tape on the tile where you want to drill. Some hammer
drills are bit fierce for tiles, particularly SDS, and they might wander and
damage the tile, so if you have a speed control do it very slowly. You can
get special drill bits for tiles but I've never bothered - I always use a
newish masonry drill in a hand brace to start the hole and then use an
electric drill without hammer until I'm through the tile. You might not
even need that in plasterboard.

For fixing a toilet roll holder you only need light/medium duty fixings.
You can get plastic Poly- Toggle plugs that fold up behind the board and
take ordinary woodscrews, or I like using rubber Rawlnuts with their own
machine screws. Both need only a fairly small hole. Make sure the fixings
are long enough for the thickness of the board *plus* the tile.

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 12:53:54 -0000, "Blair" wrote:

I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know
how I drill the hole.

Masking tape on the surface and a good pencil mark.

Drill with a "glass drill". These are a small tungsten carbide "leaf" on
a narrow shank. They don't have spiral flutes. Unlike a masonry drill (a
rotating chisel) they are sharpened with a rotating cutting edge. Use
this glass drill to go through the glaze on the tile which is very hard
and stop when you hit the tile itself, which is soft. Don't use a
hammer action - you don't need it and it is likely to crack the tile.

When you're through the tile glaze, either keep on going (if you're on
plasterboard) or switch to a hammer action with a masonry bit if you're
on brick.

You can of course drill tiles with a masonry bit and hammer. But a
better drill bit is cheap, and the pain of fixing a cracked tile just
isn't worth it.

Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.

Plaster board plugs. These are big plastic plugs with expanding wings on
the back. You'll need a longer parallel screw (like Screwfix's
Goldscrews) than the traditional sort supplied with the fitting.

They still need a fairly big hole though. If you want the absolute
minimum hole diameter, use a gravity toggle (not a spring toggle).

Tom

"Blair" wrote in message
I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know
how I drill the hole.
Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.
I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but they are
rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the tile
Blair

I always use a glass drill bit to go through the tile changing to a masonry
bit after penetration.
Tom

Blair

"Blair" wrote in message
I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know
how I drill the hole.
Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.
I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but they are
rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the tile
Blair

I am most grateful to everyone who replied. All of you were most helpful and
I can now proceed with confidence
Blair

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Blair wrote:
I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to
know how I drill the hole. Also what type of fixing to use in plaster
board. I have been using the type that self screw into the plaster but
they are rather large and would require a large clearance hole in the
tile Blair

If you've got a glass cutter - not the wheeled type - use the point on
this to break the glaze. Then an ordinary masonry drill on a very slow
speed - but no hammer action.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
John Rumm

Blair wrote:

I want to mount a toilet roll holder onto a tiled surface and want to know
how I drill the hole.

See here about half way down the page:

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/drillfaq.htm

Also what type of fixing to use in plaster board.

a rawl plug should do it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Ceramic Tiles Installation Nightmare [email protected] Home Repair 15 February 25th 05 03:38 AM
Question laying ceramic tiles on ktchen countertops Al Kondo Home Repair 3 February 21st 05 08:33 PM
Drilling floor tiles TonyK UK diy 5 January 28th 05 11:22 PM
Skim plastering over ceramic tiles? Lobster UK diy 5 January 10th 05 11:40 PM
Preparing a concrete floor for ceramic tiles. Will UK diy 11 October 28th 04 11:19 AM