Al Kondo

Default Question laying ceramic tiles on ktchen countertops

My wife and I are in the process of laying 12" ceramic tiles on our
kitchen countertops. I know that 12'' square tiles are not usual but
my wife saw it at an apartment recently and liked it. We have
selected the tiles to lay and have already placed backerboard on the
countertops. However, as a novice in this whole procedure, I have
run into a problem that I am not sure of. One of the designs of tile
placement that my wife and I have decided upon results in tiles
joining at two cut edges with grout in-between. I know it is
preferable to have tiles meet a two beveled edges, but is there any
way to have two cut edges meet? Do we need to come up with another
design? Will I have to go to the smaller tiles? I would appreciate
help. Thanks

Al
Colbyt

"Al Kondo" wrote in message
My wife and I are in the process of laying 12" ceramic tiles on our
kitchen countertops. I know that 12'' square tiles are not usual but
my wife saw it at an apartment recently and liked it. We have
selected the tiles to lay and have already placed backerboard on the
countertops. However, as a novice in this whole procedure, I have
run into a problem that I am not sure of. One of the designs of tile
placement that my wife and I have decided upon results in tiles
joining at two cut edges with grout in-between. I know it is
preferable to have tiles meet a two beveled edges, but is there any
way to have two cut edges meet? Do we need to come up with another
design? Will I have to go to the smaller tiles? I would appreciate
help. Thanks

Al

I'm not a tile expert. I don't see a problem as long as you get a really
clean cut using a tile saw and sand the edge just a bit to remove the
sharpness. You would have a bigger problem trying to join beveled to cut.

How do you plan to trim out the edges of the counter? Make sure you think
this one out really well before you start.

Colbyt

Norminn

Al Kondo wrote:
My wife and I are in the process of laying 12" ceramic tiles on our
kitchen countertops. I know that 12'' square tiles are not usual but
my wife saw it at an apartment recently and liked it. We have
selected the tiles to lay and have already placed backerboard on the
countertops. However, as a novice in this whole procedure, I have
run into a problem that I am not sure of. One of the designs of tile
placement that my wife and I have decided upon results in tiles
joining at two cut edges with grout in-between. I know it is
preferable to have tiles meet a two beveled edges, but is there any
way to have two cut edges meet? Do we need to come up with another
design? Will I have to go to the smaller tiles? I would appreciate
help. Thanks

Al

Do you have your heart set on tiled counters? Two cut edges with grout
between are likely to be sharp. Is this at a corner?

Mr Fixit eh

You must do alot of research and preparation before you get into
this...this is a big project.

You will find a great online resource for tiling in the John Bridge
forum at http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1

Good luck.

Mr Fixit eh