TonyK

Default Drilling floor tiles

For my future reference, can anyone suggest a proven method of drilling
holes in unfixed and/or fixed floor tiles? The wall tiles are easy enough to
drill with a normal masonry bit although I did buy a "proper" tile drill
(more later...)

The problem was drilling the floor tiles. I tried several methods...

1) Bit of making tape over "proposed hole". Tap "X" with sharp screw to chip
surface. Drill gently with masonsy drill on slow speed.
Result: Chewed up masking tape and no hole.

2) Drill more vigorously with masonsy drill on slow speed.
Result: No hole but wearing through tile surface slowly.

3) Drill with increasing vigour on highest speed.
Result: No hole but wearing through tile surface less slowly.

4) Get out SDS drill and touch tile.
Result: Shattered tile.

Fix tiles down and plan to drill in place. 2 days later...

5) Go to Focus and but "proper" tile drill for £4.95
Result: Que for 15 minues only to be told they won't accept a credit card
for under £5. Faff about trying to find some cash in pockets as wallet at
home (only brought out to pay account at BM) Found cash, bought drill, vowed
never to return.

6) Mark up new tile. Start drilling hole, slow then high speed with proper
tile drill.
Result: Tile drill "lightly marks" surface and glows red as which point I
stopped.

Repeat steps 2 and 3 for around 30 minutes.

7) Grab angle grinder and try and think of how to drill a hole with a 9"
diamond blade?
Result: Tea

8) Drill on slow speed with "proper" tiles drill using cold tea as a
lubricant.
Result: Drill bill snatches and shatters but does drill into the tile by
about 3mm.

9) Spend another 30 mins drilling remainder of hole with a newer masonry
bit on slow speed.
Result: Approximate hole.

10) Repeat above (minus tile drill) for another 4 holes!!!!
Result: Go home, drink alcohol and post to NG.

quisquiliae

TonyK wrote:
For my future reference, can anyone suggest a proven method of drilling
holes in unfixed and/or fixed floor tiles? The wall tiles are easy enough to
drill with a normal masonry bit although I did buy a "proper" tile drill

8) Drill on slow speed with "proper" tiles drill using cold tea as a
lubricant.
Result: Drill bill snatches and shatters but does drill into the tile by
about 3mm.

Once did that. Considered buyin diamond drill but v. expensive (£30+ as
I remember) Decided to make square cut out with tile saw and fill in
round/square gap with grout.

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"
Capitol

Buy tile drill set from Toolstation, they don't shatter like the
Screwfix one's do. However, they do lose their edge if they are allowed
to overheat, but can be sharpened with a quick touch up on a diamond
wheel. If you need a larger dia hole, then resharpening a normal masonry
drill to a shape similar to the tile drills with the diamond wheel can
be worth while.

Regards
Capitol
Rodders

"TonyK" wrote in message
[...]

I'm planning on drilling a hole this weekend in newly laid tiles. When you
say floor tiles, do you mean the thick red earthenware style tile or do you
mean the floor tiles that look almost identical to wall tiles?

Rory

Seri

Hmmm, I suspect I've been lucky. As much as I hate to admit buying
them, I found the "Bullet" bits to be damn good for this job.
I just used a standard drill, set to a low speed and ensure that the
hammer setting is off.
I start very slowly until the drill has 'bit' and then I increase the
speed slightly and apply quite a hard pressure.
If at any time I think the drill bit is getting too hot then I just
back off (go for a cuppa) and then start again.

The life of the "Bullet" bits when used this way isn't great, but
they're not that expensive....

Seri

Drilling Iron Richard J Kinch Metalworking 22 November 1st 03 01:46 PM
drilling steel? Dave Metalworking 29 October 29th 03 03:03 PM
Drilling metal control panel advice... Alan Kamrowski II Metalworking 14 October 25th 03 05:08 AM
SDS drilling, tips on how to use. Slugsie UK diy 8 October 9th 03 09:54 PM
Drilling through a steel pipe. Harold & Susan Vordos Metalworking 3 October 1st 03 06:24 PM