Default Velux window replacement and building warrants

Hi All,

I need to ask your esteemed collective advise again...

We are replacing 3 of the four velux windows in our converted loft in
Edinburgh. We contacted the council and were told that we would not
need building warrants. So we started the process of putting it all in
place...

Then we read the regs more carefully. We are putting larger Velux
windows in place and so we *do* need a warrant; we've been informed it
will take 5-6 weeks to grant. We are replacing three 550x780 centre
pivots with two 78x1400 top pivots and one 660x1180 centre pivot. The
existing windows cut one rafter each; the new ones will not require
another rafter to be cut and they will be placed such that they satisfy
the fire-escape regs. We're also installing insulation which wasn't
present when the loft was converted.

We're getting an architect in to do proper drawings and a builder to do
the installations. He has said it should be OK to go ahead without the
warrant being in place as he regards it as a straightforward job. We're
also keen to get this work done before the winter sets in in earnest
and the sooner we can move the more likely the weather is to be clement
for the work.

Should we proceed or hold off until we have the warrant?

Thanks - Adam...

Peter Taylor

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

There's no Building Notice procedure in Scotland, as in England/Wales, where
you can start the work 48 hours after notifying the Council. It is now
legally possible to start work without a warrant, but you have to apply for
one before it is completed and the Council can charge a higher fee and may
ask for work to be exposed. The council will (for a fee) verify completed
work, but with obvious risk.

It sounds as though you've got all the angles covered, so it's probably a
good risk if you can afford the extra fee. Maybe you could ask Building
Control what the extra cost is and what they will be looking for when
checking the work. Will the builder put his money where his mouth is and
underwrite any extra cost for starting without approval? )

Peter Taylor wrote:
-8- snip -8-

There's no Building Notice procedure in Scotland, as in England/Wales, where
you can start the work 48 hours after notifying the Council. It is now
legally possible to start work without a warrant, but you have to apply for
one before it is completed and the Council can charge a higher fee and may
ask for work to be exposed. The council will (for a fee) verify completed
work, but with obvious risk.

It sounds as though you've got all the angles covered, so it's probably a
good risk if you can afford the extra fee. Maybe you could ask Building
Control what the extra cost is and what they will be looking for when
checking the work. Will the builder put his money where his mouth is and
underwrite any extra cost for starting without approval? )

Thanks Peter - we'll check with the council as to how much extra we
might have to pay. That may also give us guidance as to how sympathetic
they are...

Leaving the work exposed shouldn't be a big issue, as we are insulating
and boarding it ourselves. We will, in any case, be applying before the
work is started, I hope.

Cheers - Adam...