Default Velux window replacement and building warrants

Peter Taylor wrote:
-8- snip -8-

There's no Building Notice procedure in Scotland, as in England/Wales, where
you can start the work 48 hours after notifying the Council. It is now
legally possible to start work without a warrant, but you have to apply for
one before it is completed and the Council can charge a higher fee and may
ask for work to be exposed. The council will (for a fee) verify completed
work, but with obvious risk.

It sounds as though you've got all the angles covered, so it's probably a
good risk if you can afford the extra fee. Maybe you could ask Building
Control what the extra cost is and what they will be looking for when
checking the work. Will the builder put his money where his mouth is and
underwrite any extra cost for starting without approval? )

Thanks Peter - we'll check with the council as to how much extra we
might have to pay. That may also give us guidance as to how sympathetic
they are...

Leaving the work exposed shouldn't be a big issue, as we are insulating
and boarding it ourselves. We will, in any case, be applying before the
work is started, I hope.

Cheers - Adam...