Default I smashed my window. Urgent help/advice needed

Please can you help....

I rent a central London apartment.

I was adjusting the window restrictor. I took some screws out .. I
wasn't able to put them back in.

Anyway.. the window came out of the frame (crashing down in my room,
smashing some of my equipment). No one was hurt thankfully.

1. Can I buy something to put in the gap in the wall (large sheet of
plastic) (until window is fixed)

2. Does insurance cover this type of damage? (i'm not bothered about my
smashed equipment - just the window)

- Window frame is:
114cm high,
100cm wide

It's totally my fault. I am an absoulte moron - I know. It's sunday ...
what's my best bet?

Fred wrote:
Phone your insurance company and get them to get somebody out!

I don't have insurance

(the window isn't smashed - there is a large crack in the corner)

My only concerns a

- the company I rent from will notice there's no window and charge me a
massive fine

- it will be cold/water will get in room etc.

- (security not an issue - I'm on third floor and the window faces
inner private courtyard)

I want to 'buy time' and fix it myself & buy insurance.

Brian Reay

wrote in message
oups.com...
Please can you help....

I rent a central London apartment.

I was adjusting the window restrictor. I took some screws out .. I
wasn't able to put them back in.

Anyway.. the window came out of the frame (crashing down in my room,
smashing some of my equipment). No one was hurt thankfully.

1. Can I buy something to put in the gap in the wall (large sheet of
plastic) (until window is fixed)

2. Does insurance cover this type of damage? (i'm not bothered about my
smashed equipment - just the window)

Depends on company, policy, and circumstances. Accidental damage is usually
covered but there may be a limitation if they claim it occured during a
related attempted repair. eg, if you'd fallen off a ladder while painting
the ceiling and broken the window you'd be OK, if you were fixing the window
probably not.

Call the company and ask- they may send someone out from a local company
they have a deal with.

As a 'stop gap' (no pun intended) find a local B&Q etc (open on Sunday) and
buy a bit of plywood or OSB.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN

As a 'stop gap' (no pun intended) find a local B&Q etc (open on Sunday) and
buy a bit of plywood or OSB.

--
73
Brian, G8OSN
www.g8osn.org.uk

Thanks for your advice.

I don't want to use plywood as it is obvious to anyone who gazes up
from the courtyard that something is wrong with my window.
I'm hoping to get some clear plastic.

Anyway, I think I ought to head for my nearest B & Q open on a sunday.

Thanks

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
1. Can I buy something to put in the gap in the wall (large sheet of
plastic) (until window is fixed)

Assuming there's no security issue, polythene and gaffer tape.

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
end user

Do what you would do if you arrived home to find the window broken,
call the landlord, it could have been a meteorite that hit it you dont
****in know

SimonJ

2. Does insurance cover this type of damage? (i'm not bothered about
my smashed equipment - just the window)

I don't have insurance

So why were you asking if insurance would cover the damage?

Not a student by any chance are you?

SimonJ

Phone police tell them three youths have just thrown bricks at window
they'll log it down, your landlord will replace it through his insurance.
:-)

p.s go and find a half an house brick. lol

Then wait until the Police come knocking on your door to arrest you for
insurance fraud.

I think it would be pretty obvious that the window was not damaged by a
brick given that the frame has been partly dismantled.

SimonJ

I'm a student ..........

No surprises there then!

I had a friend who used to rent property to students, and he said they were
the worst possible tenants to ever allow into your property, always having
to mess about with stuff they shouldn't (e.g. window restrictors) and
breaking anything possible.

:::Jerry::::

"SimonJ" wrote in message
2. Does insurance cover this type of damage? (i'm not

bothered about
my smashed equipment - just the window)

I don't have insurance

So why were you asking if insurance would cover the damage?

Not a student by any chance are you?

Am I the only one smelling a troll here?...

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 Oct 2005 06:13:07 -0700, wrote:

It's totally my fault. I am an absoulte moron - I know. It's sunday ...
what's my best bet?

Be grateful it's Sunday, not last Wednesday !

If you can, put the window back in the hole. It's the right size and
shape and sounds like it's still waterproof. Wedge it in place with an
ironing board, stepladder, or a couple of woodscrews into the frame.

Then get someone competent (who might still be an amateur) to come and
look at it in the flesh. We're helpful, but we can't _see_ it.

If you stick plywood over the hole, just throw a piece of fabric over
the outside and it will look like curtain fabric - especially if there's
clear polythene outside that.

Glass is cheap. Fitting it is expensive. Even double-glazed sealed units
aren't _that_ expensive (you get them made to order, any size you like
- any glazier can sort this out). If you can find some DIY-capable
friend then you should be able to get this sorted out fairly easily and
cheaply.

All he needs is to go buy the right size of glass - measure very
carefully - and a tub of linseed putty. The glass wants to be slightly
smaller than the hole (after the old putty's been hacked off) by about
3mm all round. Check the putty in the tub before you walk out, too
often glaziers will try and sell you stuff that half hardened already,
which is not much use.

To fit, put a thin bead of putty round the frame, press glass into
place, hold it temporarily with a few tacks/ staples/ drawing pins,
then get on with puttying. Get a nice smooth flat finish on putty by
wetting the (putty / kitchen / pocket) knife, and sliding it along the
putty.

Let putty dry a few weeks before painting with undercoat then gloss.

Its really not hard.

Welcome to uk.d-i-y.

NT

John Cartmell

In article . com,
wrote:
Its really not hard.

But as I read it the whole window frame has dropped out ...

Derek ^

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 17:27:10 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article . com,
wrote:
Its really not hard.

But as I read it the whole window frame has dropped out ...

If it has it's not likely to be the fault of an average user in good
faith. IMO.

DG

SimonJ

But as I read it the whole window frame has dropped out ...

If it has it's not likely to be the fault of an average user in good
faith. IMO.

You missed the bit where he said 'I took some screws out'
The average user doesn't go dismantling the window.
The average student however......

Andy Hall

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:22:47 GMT, Stuart Noble
wrote:

Make the screw holes a bit bigger and tell the landlord it fell out on
its own, narrowly missing you, but that you won't be taking legal action
if he just fixes it pdq.
I don't know what you're studying but an essential part of any course
should be the ability to deflect blame for everything. It'll stand you
in good stead for most careers.

Stuart, I'm shocked.

There is Chris in the unsullied world of academia with his whole life
stretched before him complete with opportunities to go in any
direction he chooses and here are some of us suggesting that he
behaves in a less than completely honest way.

As it is, he has to deal with residing in the Livingstonesque capital
with all it's challenges, and we are suggesting that he finds a B&Q at
2pm on a Sunday afternoon.

When that fails, we suggest all kinds of ways to to address the
problem with little or no expenditure, never mind the responsibility.

At the very least he should forward the name of his moral tutor so
that we can forward our invoice for consultancy.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "end user"
saying something like:

Do what you would do if you arrived home to find the window broken,
call the landlord, it could have been a meteorite that hit it you dont
****in know

And have a pop at the landlord for his shoddy work.

Seriously; now is a good time to learn a bit about repairing stuff
yourself, and the pressure of time involved before the landlord sees it
will give you a spur.
--

Dave
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember "SimonJ" saying
something like:

I'm a student ..........

No surprises there then!

I had a friend who used to rent property to students, and he said they were
the worst possible tenants to ever allow into your property, always having
to mess about with stuff they shouldn't (e.g. window restrictors) and
breaking anything possible.

Worst of the lot are groups of female students.
--

Dave

The3rd Earl Of Derby

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "end user"
saying something like:

Do what you would do if you arrived home to find the window broken,
call the landlord, it could have been a meteorite that hit it you
dont ****in know

And have a pop at the landlord for his shoddy work.

Seriously; now is a good time to learn a bit about repairing stuff
yourself, and the pressure of time involved before the landlord sees
it will give you a spur.

Are you saying he's a 'cowboy'? :-)

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Matt

Stuart Noble wrote:

Make the screw holes a bit bigger and tell the landlord it fell out on
its own, narrowly missing you, but that you won't be taking legal action
if he just fixes it pdq.
I don't know what you're studying but an essential part of any course
should be the ability to deflect blame for everything. It'll stand you
in good stead for most careers.

If it can happen to a plane it can happen to a block of flats.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_502702.pdf

Stuart Noble

wrote:

Make the screw holes a bit bigger and tell the landlord it fell out on
its own, narrowly missing you, but that you won't be taking legal action
if he just fixes it pdq.
I don't know what you're studying but an essential part of any course
should be the ability to deflect blame for everything. It'll stand you
in good stead for most careers.

Stuart, I'm shocked.

There is Chris in the unsullied world of academia with his whole life
stretched before him complete with opportunities to go in any
direction he chooses and here are some of us suggesting that he
behaves in a less than completely honest way.

Landlords are exempt from normal laws of honesty and decency.

Stuart Noble wrote:

Landlords are exempt from normal laws of honesty and decency.

What that really means is that youre neither honest nor decent. If you
treated your landlords like that, I'm hardly surprised that they viewed
you with some hostility.

NT

Matt wrote:

If it can happen to a plane it can happen to a block of flats.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_502702.pdf

Youre suggesting he put it down to decompression at altitude?

NT

Matt

wrote:

Matt wrote:

If it can happen to a plane it can happen to a block of flats.

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources...pdf_502702.pdf

Youre suggesting he put it down to decompression at altitude?

With a 900mb depression over the Bay of Biscay, a Vindaloo and a
skinfull of lager anything is possible :-)

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

I went to John Lewis, materials/fabrics department where you can buy
plastic sheets by the metre.

Got some double sided sticky velcro and it did the trick

But the caretaker for the property noticed. I was at lectures today;
the company went mental - because I had dared to open the window. i
live in student digs with 600 other people and they've decided on a
new
'policy' so no windows can open. if there is ever a fire, we will burn
to death. seriously.

Got a written warning - this is your first and final written warning.