Default I smashed my window. Urgent help/advice needed

Andy Dingley wrote:
On 16 Oct 2005 06:13:07 -0700, wrote:

It's totally my fault. I am an absoulte moron - I know. It's sunday ...
what's my best bet?

Be grateful it's Sunday, not last Wednesday !

If you can, put the window back in the hole. It's the right size and
shape and sounds like it's still waterproof. Wedge it in place with an
ironing board, stepladder, or a couple of woodscrews into the frame.

Then get someone competent (who might still be an amateur) to come and
look at it in the flesh. We're helpful, but we can't _see_ it.

If you stick plywood over the hole, just throw a piece of fabric over
the outside and it will look like curtain fabric - especially if there's
clear polythene outside that.

Glass is cheap. Fitting it is expensive. Even double-glazed sealed units
aren't _that_ expensive (you get them made to order, any size you like
- any glazier can sort this out). If you can find some DIY-capable
friend then you should be able to get this sorted out fairly easily and
cheaply.

All he needs is to go buy the right size of glass - measure very
carefully - and a tub of linseed putty. The glass wants to be slightly
smaller than the hole (after the old putty's been hacked off) by about
3mm all round. Check the putty in the tub before you walk out, too
often glaziers will try and sell you stuff that half hardened already,
which is not much use.

To fit, put a thin bead of putty round the frame, press glass into
place, hold it temporarily with a few tacks/ staples/ drawing pins,
then get on with puttying. Get a nice smooth flat finish on putty by
wetting the (putty / kitchen / pocket) knife, and sliding it along the
putty.

Let putty dry a few weeks before painting with undercoat then gloss.

Its really not hard.

Welcome to uk.d-i-y.

NT