Default MCB compatibility with consumer units

Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each
other ?

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does
the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

Can anyone clarify ? Thanks.

John Rumm

wrote:

Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each
other ?

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

Have a look at the response to the message I got on this topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...39de9d60e6e7af
or
http://tinyurl.com/7whpd

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does
the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

No requirements electrically. Just depends on mechanics again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

Most DIN rail MCBs will physically fit and work in most DIN rail consumer
units. However, most manufacturers say that their certification is only
valid if the manufacturers match.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

The MCB will fit but upside down. This means that the switch is upside
down. The Off/On position is marked but is this permissable?

Personally, I would say no, this is not acceptable.

Christian.

Came to fit this at the weekend.

The MCB can be fitted the correct way up it's just that the clip for
attaching it to the DIN rail is on the bottom on the Wylex MCB whereas
on the Clipsal ones they are on the top.

I agree that off looking like it was on would have been unacceptable.

Christian McArdle wrote:
The MCB will fit but upside down. This means that the switch is upside
down. The Off/On position is marked but is this permissable?

Personally, I would say no, this is not acceptable.

Christian.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ken ken is offline

replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote:
Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ts-201826-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 7 April 2018 21:44:04 UTC+1, ken wrote:
replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote:
Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

Good grief, no I don't - that was 13 years ago!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well what do you expect from a web site that presents posts on month only
and disregards the years.
Shows how observant the users are though, not....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mathew Newton" wrote in message
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 21:44:04 UTC+1, ken wrote:
replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote:
Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

Good grief, no I don't - that was 13 years ago!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 8 April 2018 00:30:07 UTC+1, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Saturday, 7 April 2018 21:44:04 UTC+1, ken wrote:
replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote:
Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

Good grief, no I don't - that was 13 years ago!

Ebay usually does

NT

Petrol in Diesel Engine MartinC UK diy 120 September 5th 05 10:41 PM
three consumer units in new house Jim Main UK diy 1 November 20th 04 04:38 PM
Consumer Units Tom UK diy 4 October 22nd 04 08:16 AM
Replacing Consumer Units Martin Bosticky UK diy 3 January 28th 04 09:00 PM
Longish query - circuit breakers in consumer units David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 November 9th 03 12:33 PM