DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   MCB compatibility with consumer units (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/124694-mcb-compatibility-consumer-units.html)

[email protected] October 13th 05 04:20 PM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each
other ?

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does
the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

Can anyone clarify ? Thanks.

Lurch October 13th 05 05:44 PM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

On 13 Oct 2005 08:20:43 -0700, scrawled:

Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each
other ?

Some are, some aren't. It's usually a case of lining up thye devices
and checking for compatible busbar\DIN rail fixing positions.

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

Not sure on that tbh. To check, line the 2 MCB's up side by side and
align the DIN rail mountings exactly together, check that the bottom
cable hole on the MCB is in exact alignment. If i isn't, then don't
use it as it will distort the busbar.

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does
the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

Nope, you can mix and match brands electrically as you please.
--
Stuart @ SJW Electrical

Please Reply to group

John Rumm October 14th 05 02:12 AM

wrote:

Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each
other ?

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

Have a look at the response to the message I got on this topic:

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.d-...39de9d60e6e7af
or
http://tinyurl.com/7whpd

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does
the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

No requirements electrically. Just depends on mechanics again.

--
Cheers,

John.

Christian McArdle October 14th 05 10:24 AM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

Most DIN rail MCBs will physically fit and work in most DIN rail consumer
units. However, most manufacturers say that their certification is only
valid if the manufacturers match.

Christian.

[email protected] October 14th 05 04:44 PM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

The MCB will fit but upside down. This means that the switch is upside
down. The Off/On position is marked but is this permissable?

I think I have seen this in CUs before but whether it's correct is
another question.

Mathew Newton October 14th 05 04:56 PM

wrote:
Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each
other ?

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can
only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection,
they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They
are also the same size.

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does
the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

Can anyone clarify ? Thanks.

If it's of any use I've got several unused Clipsal MCBs that came as
part of a complete CU kit from Screwfix. If they might be of use feel
free to get in touch via
http://www.newtonnet.co.uk/contact/ with the
ratings you're after.

Mathew

Christian McArdle October 17th 05 09:37 AM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

The MCB will fit but upside down. This means that the switch is upside
down. The Off/On position is marked but is this permissable?

Personally, I would say no, this is not acceptable.

Christian.

[email protected] October 17th 05 01:46 PM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

Came to fit this at the weekend.

The MCB can be fitted the correct way up it's just that the clip for
attaching it to the DIN rail is on the bottom on the Wylex MCB whereas
on the Clipsal ones they are on the top.

I agree that off looking like it was on would have been unacceptable.

ken April 7th 18 09:44 PM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote:
Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ts-201826-.htm

Mathew Newton[_2_] April 8th 18 12:30 AM

On Saturday, 7 April 2018 21:44:04 UTC+1, ken wrote:
replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote:
Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

Good grief, no I don't - that was 13 years ago!

Brian Gaff April 8th 18 08:39 AM

MCB compatibility with consumer units

Well what do you expect from a web site that presents posts on month only
and disregards the years.
Shows how observant the users are though, not....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...