Jim Main

Default three consumer units in new house

Just moved into a property that has three consumer units, and want to shift
one of them to turn the room into a shower.

The main box is an old fashioned metal box with blade fuses - this is fed
from a huge box in the basement with a big isolator handle on (which in turn
gets fed from the meter in an outside wall utility box).

Out of the main box come two 16mm2 meter tails that go downstairs (about 6
feet distance) to a modern rcd box feeding the circuits in the extension.

Also out of the main box is a thick (about an inch thick) black cable which
goes to the third modern consumer unit. this feeds other circuits plus the
garage outside.

questions - I'm going to replace the old fuse box with a modern split box
and shift it a few feet, meaning most of the circuits will need to be
extended to reach it.

As the consumer unit downstairs just feeds half a dozen low voltage lighting
circuits and a ring main, do I really need to use meter tails to wire it
back to the upstairs box?

Same with the thick black cable to the third box - I'm assuming this is an
armoured cable?

It was a builder who owned the house, and I think he's added bits from
various job left-overs.

Any help appreciated

Jim

Lurch

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:51:03 -0000, "Jim Main"
strung together this:

Any help appreciated

I think basically the answer is yes, depending on the question!
From what you say I would probably be inclined to work towards running
all the circuits to one location if the existing three fuse boards
aren't too far apart, or at least compcting it down to two.
It does sound like it's a bit lashed together with anything the
previous owner could lay his hands on.
WRT cable sizes for the submain, if the board at the other end is not
doing a lot then a 10mm 40\50A supply would probably suffice.

--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd