Default BLOWING FUSES !!!!!!!

please can someone help

my husband used the power spray on the car and the next thing we had
water gushing down from the loft through the airing cupboard and down
to the kitchen.

he stopped the water but now then we had no hot water.
the control box was not working.

so we used the emersion heater to get hot water.

we have bought a new heating and hot water computer/control panel and
put that on.
it looks as though its working and all the display is up.

we still have NO heating and i'm freezing !!!!!
we have bought all the 3 amp fuses that wickes had on there shelf.
as soon as we put one in, it blows?
my husband, Bless him has tried everything

please please can someone HELP !!!!!!!!!!

its a gas boiler-pilot light still on
not at home to give details of model.
could not have been wired up wrong as no wiring touched, we got a new
timer control 'thingy' and plugged the new front panel to the exiating
control box still fixed to the wall.
there is a black mark now above one of the pins in the back of this as
yet another fuse blew.
so thinking it could be a bad, new one we purchased yet another, but
still the fuses keep blowing.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
wrote:
its a gas boiler-pilot light still on
not at home to give details of model.
could not have been wired up wrong as no wiring touched, we got a new
timer control 'thingy' and plugged the new front panel to the exiating
control box still fixed to the wall.
there is a black mark now above one of the pins in the back of this as
yet another fuse blew.
so thinking it could be a bad, new one we purchased yet another, but
still the fuses keep blowing.

Does the fuse blow with the programmer plugged in, but both heating and
hot water switched off? Or when hot water only is selected? Or when both?

Some basic fault finding is needed to give a diagnosis.

--
*Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

firstly, he was washing the car with a jet power spray thing, and i was
painting in the bathroom, i heard water gushing and on looking in the
airing cupboard water was running down the wall,the same wall that all
the wires and plugs etc are on for the heating and hot water,
we have a seperate hw emersion switch and that seems to be fine at
least we can get hw.
we have a control panel that controls , time settings for the hw and
ch.
this has a detachable front.
we bought a new one,and just repalced the front panel,still the fuses
kept blowing as soon as they are put in.
we thought that the new panel we bought could have been a dud so we got
another one, but still the same. on the back of the detachable front
panel are small pins, and above the second one in fron the left there
is a scortch mark obviously residue from the fuse blowing.
i think its a gloworm system.
the system has not been used for the last2 weeks, surely this should
have dried it out.
we have also bought a new thermostat, just in case it was that.
but still the fuses keep blowing.
the fuses blow as soon as they are put in. its instant.

my husband has tried this every which way,
one then the other and then with both off
pilot light stays on and the fuses keep blowing as soon as they are put
in.

no not money!!!
just a freezing wife!!
i do not do cold....
and these can be taken back to the shop and money reenbursed. ok

richard
thanks for aALL your expertise of help in this matter

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
my husband has tried this every which way,
one then the other and then with both off
pilot light stays on and the fuses keep blowing as soon as they are put

If they blow with the system switched off so just the programmer is
running, its wiring or connection is likely to be the trouble. If it
'flashed' over due to water it's possible this has left a conductive
track. So best to change the back plate for the one that came with the new
timer - and check the condition of the cables at the same time. Mark each
cable as you remove them to make sure they are replaced in the same way.

--
*Real men don't waste their hormones growing hair

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Richard Conway

Ian Stirling wrote:
Richard Conway wrote:

wrote:

firstly, he was washing the car with a jet power spray thing, and i was
painting in the bathroom, i heard water gushing and on looking in the
airing cupboard water was running down the wall,the same wall that all
the wires and plugs etc are on for the heating and hot water,

snip

1) we have a control panel...we bought a new one
2) we thought that the new panel we bought could have been a dud...we
got another one
3) we have also bought a new thermostat...just in case

These people have far too much money in my opinion!

The 'back' can also be damaged by water, and lead to problems.
You may need to replace it.

I'm not going near it

they looked the same, so we asumed the wiring would be ok.
yeh.....i know don't ever asume.....
the electrician has been contacted and we are waiting for a reply,
saw you guys on the net and thought i would just ask,
sorry i couldn't give more info
thanks for the help.
any idea where i could get a wiring diagramme?
as that would be a great help also.
cheers

Ian Stirling

Richard Conway wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
Richard Conway wrote:

wrote:

firstly, he was washing the car with a jet power spray thing, and i was
painting in the bathroom, i heard water gushing and on looking in the
airing cupboard water was running down the wall,the same wall that all
the wires and plugs etc are on for the heating and hot water,

snip

1) we have a control panel...we bought a new one
2) we thought that the new panel we bought could have been a dud...we
got another one
3) we have also bought a new thermostat...just in case

These people have far too much money in my opinion!

The 'back' can also be damaged by water, and lead to problems.
You may need to replace it.

I'm not going near it

Sorry, I'm not fully awake this week.
Just getting over the annoyance of posting my most secret password to
IRC, so having to teach fingers new one.
Richard Conway

Ian Stirling wrote:
Richard Conway wrote:

Ian Stirling wrote:

Richard Conway wrote:

wrote:

firstly, he was washing the car with a jet power spray thing, and i was
painting in the bathroom, i heard water gushing and on looking in the
airing cupboard water was running down the wall,the same wall that all
the wires and plugs etc are on for the heating and hot water,

snip

1) we have a control panel...we bought a new one
2) we thought that the new panel we bought could have been a dud...we
got another one
3) we have also bought a new thermostat...just in case

These people have far too much money in my opinion!

The 'back' can also be damaged by water, and lead to problems.
You may need to replace it.

I'm not going near it

Sorry, I'm not fully awake this week.
Just getting over the annoyance of posting my most secret password to
IRC, so having to teach fingers new one.

Know that feeling - don't know how many times I've sat in front of users
and not tabbed to the password field properly and ended up typing an
administrator password into the username field!

NEW INFO............
just spoken to mr, and he says he fitted the new back plate also. and
it still did it
Also, he can get the hot water firing up
he stripped the valve and manually set it for the heating and it
worked..
then when he put it all back for auto he popped the fuses again.

the reason i think it was connected to the pressure washer is that they
both happened at the same time

my husband attached it to the sink and turned the tap full
we have really good water pressure
its the only thing i can put it down to

Bill

In message , Matt
writes
wrote:

we have bought all the 3 amp fuses that wickes had on there shelf.

3 amps? that's your problem you need to move up to bigger fuses and
then when they run out use cut down heavy gauge nails Eventually you
will get a very big bang and the source of the problem will be obvious
:-)

The brass shafts from old potentiometers make great replacements for 13A
fuses, never had one blow yet!

P.S. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Bill
Matt

Bill wrote:

The brass shafts from old potentiometers make great replacements for 13A
fuses, never had one blow yet!

You must be old - I was buying them with plastic shafts in the 70's.
The only time I got to see metal ones was in scrap equipment donated
to me!

.......wonder what current they take to blow.

Set Square

Bill wrote:

A thought, is it a mixer tap that he attached it to? Did he turn on
both the hot and cold taps together? If so then you may well have fed
high pressure cold back up the hot pipe and caused the header tank to
over flow.

That's the best theory yet! I couldn't see the connection between pressure
washing and flooding the airing cupboard - but that would explain it.

What a plonker! [OP's husband, not you!]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Set Square

Bill wrote:

The brass shafts from old potentiometers make great replacements for
13A fuses, never had one blow yet!

You may jest - but I've seen it done - without any ill effects , as it
happens.

The workshop in the place where I worked in the 60's was 'modernised' by
replacing all the 15A outlets with 13A outlets, and the plugs were changed
on all the kit. A MIG welder which had worked perfectly well with an unfused
15A plug started blowing 13A fuses in its new plug. You can guess the rest!

As far as I can recall, the wiring wasn't changed - they were radial
circuits, fused at the MCB, so using a solid 'fuse' in the plug wasn't
really a big issue - but isn't to be recommended for general use!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

PLEASE SEE NEW THREAD...BLOWING FUSES 2
MORE INFO

PLEASE SEE NEW THREAD...BLOWING FUSES 2
NEW INFO

DAVE
PLEASE SEE NEW THREAD...BLOWING FUSES 2
IT HAS MORE INFO

Bill

In message , Set Square
writes
Bill wrote:

The brass shafts from old potentiometers make great replacements for
13A fuses, never had one blow yet!

You may jest - but I've seen it done - without any ill effects , as it
happens.

So have I. It was not a jest!
--
Bill