Chris F.

Default Rotel Receiver keeps blowing fuses

Rotel model RA-920AX receiver. Seems to run great, but every few weeks it
blows one or both speaker fuses (4A). Completely random, just blows them
whenever it feels like it, sometimes one fuse, sometimes both. My guess is
that it's trying to feed a pure DC signal into the speakers, but I can't
figure out why. There's only one IC in the unit (NTE858M), used in the
pre-amp section, could this be the trouble?
Any advice would be appreciated.

--
*********
Reply to:

Sofie

Chris F:
Before I would start replacing parts to try to solve this "random
intermittent" problem I would first go over the main pcb and visually
inspect all the solder connections, especially near and around the high heat
producing components such as power resistors, diodes, transistors, etc.....
re-solder any and all suspect solder joints. If you are still having
problems..... be sure to inspect your speaker connections at the amp and at
the speakers..... also inspect any splices in the speaker wires......
temporarily try another set of speakers.... etc.
Try running the amp with just one set of speakers if you have two sets
hooked up to it.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie