ScoopeX

Default Soundproofing between flats

Can anyone recommend what I can put down on the floor between two flats in
order to reduce sound levels? At the moment sound carries between the two
flats and I believe there's some sort of 'sound' board I can put down. I'm
also thinking of putting a laminate floor down in some rooms and I'm worried
that this will make the carrying of sound problem worse.

Thanks,

Brian

Christian McArdle

Can anyone recommend what I can put down on the floor between two flats in
order to reduce sound levels?

Many leases explicitly forbid anything other than carpet due to noise
reasons. Although not a great fan of wall-to-wall carpet, myself, it seems
like a good idea for flats.

Christian.

An old technique was to put trays of sand between the floor/ceiling
joists. Obviously the joists have to be able to take the weight.
Simon.

Ian_m

wrote in message
oups.com...
An old technique was to put trays of sand between the floor/ceiling
joists. Obviously the joists have to be able to take the weight.
Simon.

An old cottage I once worked on had egg boxes filled with crushed cockle
shells between the floors to deaden sound, it worked well.

RzB

I believe there are a number of products on the market
designed for this. Here is one...

http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/3.html

Don't know how much but probably not cheap..

Roy

Tony Bryer

In article , Ian_m wrote:
An old cottage I once worked on had egg boxes filled with crushed
cockle shells between the floors to deaden sound, it worked well.

The Hampton Court fire revealed that Sir Christopher Wren had used
crushed shells for this purpose 300+ years ago. I stand to be corrected
but would guess that shells have a fairly porous surface which probably
does a much better job of soaking up sound than mineral wool does.

[Latest version QSEDBUK 1.10 released 4 April 2005]

ben

ScoopeX wrote:
Can anyone recommend what I can put down on the floor between two
flats in order to reduce sound levels? At the moment sound carries
between the two flats and I believe there's some sort of 'sound'
board I can put down. I'm also thinking of putting a laminate floor
down in some rooms and I'm worried that this will make the carrying
of sound problem worse.

Thanks,

Brian

Egg crates and loft insulation on top although you will not get rid of the
sound completly due to the nature of the joist flexing as you walk about on
the floor or have a washing machine on the go.