Martin Pentreath

Default Soundproofing a new ceiling

I've just taken down a dilapidated saggy lath and plaster ceiling in
the sitting room of my victorian terrace. For all its faults it was
pretty good at soundproofing between the sitting room and the bedroom
above it. I'm getting worried that putting up a single layer of
plasterboard and skimming it will give virually no soundproofing.

So, I've been looking at this:
http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/...toceilings.htm
As you can see it's basically a system in which the plasterboard is
screwed not directly to the joists but to "resilient bars" which
insulate it from the existing structure. There would also be some
acoustic quilt and acoustic membrane thrown in for good measure, plus
two layers of plasterboard.

But now I'm thinking that maybe I'm getting this out of proportion.
Does this look over the top for soundproofing within a house? Any
simpler ideas?

Chris Bacon

Martin Pentreath wrote:
I've just taken down a dilapidated saggy lath and plaster ceiling in
the sitting room of my victorian terrace. For all its faults it was
pretty good at soundproofing between the sitting room and the bedroom
above it. I'm getting worried that putting up a single layer of
plasterboard and skimming it will give virually no soundproofing.

Well, use two or three layers then! Don't forget to rake out at
the top of the wall to allow the PB to push into a "slot" all
around the room:

[] [] [] [] -joists
####========================= -plasterboard
####@
wall- ####@
####@ - lime render
####@
Member

Location: Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pentreath
I've just taken down a dilapidated saggy lath and plaster ceiling in
the sitting room of my victorian terrace. For all its faults it was
pretty good at soundproofing between the sitting room and the bedroom
above it. I'm getting worried that putting up a single layer of
plasterboard and skimming it will give virually no soundproofing.
Two layers of plasterboard is good especially if you liberally paste the first layer with PVA to bond the second to it - it effectively becomes one giant thick sheet of plasterboard which is more noise/vibration resistant due to its mass. Other than that, I think you'd be better off looking at thicker carpets/underlay upstairs or maybe take up floorboards & fill the void with loose insulation material. Isolating the ceiling from the joists as you suggest might at best only reduce impact noise (eg. footsteps) rather than airborne noise (eg. TV) so I would say would not be worth the effort.

Martin Pentreath wrote:
[...]

2 rather obvious simpler ideas:

1. Push the L&P back up using a wood prop + wood sheet, pour diluted
pva glue on top to stick it back to joists, and when done skim the
ceiling. This should last very well.

2. Fit laths, and plaster with lime. You can do all that yourself with
no skill if you let the plasterer do the final skimcoat. Much faster
and easier than wood laths are reed matting, metal EML, or wired bamboo
fencing.

People dont seem to think before they take these things down.

NT

Chris Bacon

bigcat wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
bigcat wrote:
Martin Pentreath wrote:
I've just taken down a dilapidated saggy lath and plaster ceiling in
the sitting room of my victorian terrace.

2 rather obvious simpler ideas:

1. Push the L&P back up using a wood prop + wood sheet

Erm, difficult.

standard practice for repairing failing L&P

Erm, read Mr. Pentreath's first sentence....

nightjar

"Martin Pentreath" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

It depends how noisy you plan to be. I would have thought that a single
layer of 12mm plasterboard would be adequate for most houses. However, you
can always add a second layer of 12mm plasterboard (with staggered joints)
if you find you need to increase the soundproofing once that is up.

Colin Bignell

Martin Pentreath

It's true, I didn't think first, and the ceiling is now in the skip!
Even with hindsight, I think that trying to save it may have been
complicated - it was cracked and uneven and covered in nasty
woodchip-type paper and I've had my fill of trying to get that stuff
off the hallway and stairs. It also had some not-very-special old
cornicing which was falling off in places and would have been hard to
repair and may have looked odd anyway with a skim coat on the rest of
the ceiling.

Anyway, no use crying over skipped ceilings. I think I may just go for
two layers of plasterboard with some acoustic mineral wool to be on the
safe side.

Richard Faulkner

In message .com,
Martin Pentreath writes
It's true, I didn't think first, and the ceiling is now in the skip!
Even with hindsight, I think that trying to save it may have been
complicated - it was cracked and uneven and covered in nasty
woodchip-type paper and I've had my fill of trying to get that stuff
off the hallway and stairs. It also had some not-very-special old
cornicing which was falling off in places and would have been hard to
repair and may have looked odd anyway with a skim coat on the rest of
the ceiling.

Anyway, no use crying over skipped ceilings. I think I may just go for
two layers of plasterboard with some acoustic mineral wool to be on the
safe side.

I find that a wooden frame to fit the 2 layers of plasterboard creates a
space which dissipates the sound - a bit like double glazing where the
bigger the gap between the glass, the better the soundproofing. Then,
upstairs, a layer of hardboard, Cloud 9 Cumulus underlay, and carpet,
makes for pretty good proofing.

--
Richard Faulkner
Richard Faulkner

In message , Richard Faulkner
writes
In message .com,
Martin Pentreath writes
[...]

Or you could fit something like Reduc Strata on the floor above, before
fitting the carpet. Add this to the plasterboard, and you would be well
in excess of building regs requirements, (not that you have to comply
with them).

--
Richard Faulkner