ben

Default Pen or pencil for writing music

mike wrote:
Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds
trivial but after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot.
It needs to be something that's writes very easily, with a fine
point, good contrast and *be able to be used horizontally without
"running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be so feint I'd rather
use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be nice if is
erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very easily.
tia

Why use pen'n'paper? there are numerous music notation programs available
on the web.
http://www.braeburn.co.uk/mpdownload.htm

Some are evaluation progs but if you look through google there are
freebies.
Then you can print it out.

John Cartmell

In article ,
ben wrote:
mike wrote:
Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds
trivial but after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot.
It needs to be something that's writes very easily, with a fine
point, good contrast and *be able to be used horizontally without
"running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be so feint I'd rather
use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be nice if is
erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very easily.
tia

Why use pen'n'paper? there are numerous music notation programs available
on the web.
http://www.braeburn.co.uk/mpdownload.htm

Some are evaluation progs but if you look through google there are
freebies.
Then you can print it out.

If you are going down the digital line try the best - Sibelius. Easiest to use
is the version for RISC OS computers even though it hasn't been updated for a
number of years. But why not simply use a softer pencil?

Cicero

"mike" wrote in message
Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds trivial

but
after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot. It needs to be

something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be able

to be
used horizontally without "running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be

so
feint I'd rather use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be

nice
if is erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very

easily.
tia

=================
Have a look at:
http://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/cate...nical-Pens.htm

Cic.

mike ring

Why use pen'n'paper? there are numerous music notation programs available
on the web.
http://www.braeburn.co.uk/mpdownload.htm

Finale Norepad seems to be highly thought of and it's free.

As someone who sribbles on staffs occasionally, I think this is a much
better way, unless you're much more accurate than me

mike
raden

In message , mike
writes
Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds trivial but
after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot. It needs to be
something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be able to be
used horizontally without "running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be so
feint I'd rather use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be nice
if is erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very easily.
tia

Get it almost right first time. I bet Mozart didn't have this problem

It depends whether you want pretty or functional

You could use a 2B pencil - or go hi tech and do it on the computer

--
geoff

ben

mike wrote:
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 21:37:38 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , mike
writes
Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds
trivial but after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot.
It needs to be something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be
able to be used horizontally without "running out"*. Pencils I find
ok but tend to be so feint I'd rather use a pen (as eyesight not
brilliant any more). Would be nice if is erasable but more
important is that it writes/ ink-flows very easily. tia

Get it almost right first time. I bet Mozart didn't have this problem

It depends whether you want pretty or functional

You could use a 2B pencil - or go hi tech and do it on the computer

Thanks but I use several very good notation programs (been using them
for over 10 years) but I still like to write musical ideas down when
I'm not near a computer and paper and pencil is (still) by far the
fastest and most convenient way for me. By the time I crank up the
'ol machine I could have written several bars (cue flak on the bootup
speed of windows :-) ). I often transfer to the computer once I have
things in a reasonable state.

You are right: Mozart didn't have this problem but alas he died in
his 30's before his eyesight had chance to deteriorate - and there
was also that little matter of him being a genius. Beethoven otoh, an
equal genius did have this problem - see cover sheet to score of the
Eroica (symphony No. 3 I think)

Ah I just remembered seeing an advert once for a pen that wrote
upsidedown - Time for "google is my friend".

You want a calligraphy pen

mike ring

mike wrote in
:

By the time I crank up the 'ol
machine I could have written several bars (cue flak on the bootup
speed of windows :-)

I dunno, if you had linux, you'd need another shave before the damn thing
nearly started

(Cue flak from linux geeks ;-) )

mike

raden

In message , mike
writes
[...]

Well, let me tell you how I'd do it

I have a voice recorder. If I have a tune worth keeping, I hum it into
the recorder and listen to it again and decide whether it really is any
good

I then sit down at the piano and work out the nuts and bolts. I then
save it to paper

You are right: Mozart didn't have this problem but alas he died in his 30's
before his eyesight had chance to deteriorate - and there was also that little
matter of him being a genius.

It does help

Beethoven otoh, an equal genius did have this
problem - see cover sheet to score of the Eroica (symphony No. 3 I think)

Close, but hardly equal

At the end of the day, they both sorted out what they wanted to write
before they did so

Ah I just remembered seeing an advert once for a pen that wrote upsidedown -
Time for "google is my friend".

--
geoff
Bob Mannix

"mike" wrote in message
Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds trivial
but
after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot. It needs to be
something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be able
to be
used horizontally without "running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be
so
feint I'd rather use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be
nice
if is erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very
easily.
tia

You want a gel pen, they are availaible in the high street - not erasable
but write upside down etc

Bob Mannix

John Schmitt

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:49:08 +0100, mike wrote:

Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds
trivial but
after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot. It needs to be
something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be able
to be
used horizontally without "running out"*.

The Fisher Space Pen. Writes upside down all day long, if you need it to.
Refills UKP 3.50 include an adaptor for Parker biros, so you can update an
existing pen. However the pen is quite dinky, just over 90mm closed and
about 135 open. Somewhere inside UKP20 for the complete unit Refills seem
to last about as long as Parker, three months for me, I do write quite a
bit at work.

Watch out for the larcenous. My desk has a joke exploding pen to catch the
unwary. "Just borrow your pen, John?" *BANG* The joke is a little stale
now, but I have modified the behaviour of a number of colleagues to having
a pen to hand at all times.

John Schmitt

s--p--o--n--i--x

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:49:08 GMT, mike wrote:

Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds trivial but
after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot. It needs to be something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be able to be
used horizontally without "running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be so
feint I'd rather use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be nice
if is erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very easily.
tia

'Fineliner' pens are good as are 'Jelly rollers'
raden

In message , dave
writes
On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 01:01:00 GMT, raden wrote:

Beethoven otoh, an equal genius did have this
problem - see cover sheet to score of the Eroica (symphony No. 3 I think)

Close, but hardly equal

Well, I don't want to get into how a personal opinion is a measure of greatness
- so I won't

At the end of the day, they both sorted out what they wanted to write
before they did so

er, not really. The two had very different ways of composing.

They still both had most of what they wanted to put down on paper in
their heads

--
geoff
raden

In message , s--p--o--n--i--x
writes
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:49:08 GMT, mike wrote:

Anyone know of a good pen/pencil for writing music scores? Sounds trivial but
after a couple of hours writing a good pen helps a lot. It needs to be
something
that's writes very easily, with a fine point, good contrast and *be able to be
used horizontally without "running out"*. Pencils I find ok but tend to be so
feint I'd rather use a pen (as eyesight not brilliant any more). Would be nice
if is erasable but more important is that it writes/ ink-flows very easily.
tia

'Fineliner' pens are good as are 'Jelly rollers'

Erasable ball pen ?

--
geoff
DJC

http://www.npw.co.uk/onlinesales/pro...product_id=185

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

Bob Eager

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:42:22 UTC, "John Schmitt"
wrote:

The Fisher Space Pen. Writes upside down all day long, if you need it to.

Wasn't there something on TV this week about budgets for the USA and
USSR space programmes? The Americans spent a million dollars developing
a Space Pen, and the Russians....used pencils...!
http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com
Geoffrey

wrote:

The Fisher Space Pen. Writes upside down all day long, if you need it to.

Wasn't there something on TV this week about budgets for the USA and
USSR space programmes? The Americans spent a million dollars developing
a Space Pen, and the Russians....used pencils...!

I love urban myths

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/spacepen.htm

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
Bob Eager

wrote:

The Fisher Space Pen. Writes upside down all day long, if you need it to.

Wasn't there something on TV this week about budgets for the USA and
USSR space programmes? The Americans spent a million dollars developing
a Space Pen, and the Russians....used pencils...!

I love urban myths

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/spacepen.htm

Thanks...I did actually think, myself, that a pencil would be a 'bad
idea'!

http://laminateflooring.oncloud8.com

250 classical-opera-symphony-orchestra-big band-oldies LPs-ebay Fatboy Jr. Electronics Repair 0 May 24th 05 03:06 PM
Music stand Tim Schubach Woodworking 10 December 5th 04 12:30 AM
There are lots of PDF Service Manuals available at... Thomas P. Gootee Electronics Repair 33 August 9th 04 06:09 AM
Karcher K235 pencil jet? Kooky45 UK diy 0 February 27th 04 06:23 PM
Is it possible to cut music noise through wall andrewpreece UK diy 15 September 9th 03 10:29 AM