Thomas P. Gootee

Default There are lots of PDF Service Manuals available at...

Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

There are hundreds of FULL SERVICE MANUALS and technical manuals, most
WITH SCHEMATICS ETC, for:

Tektronix, Hewlett Packard/HP/Agilent, Fluke, Wavetek, Racal Dana,
Military/Army/Navy/Air Force/Marines TM's and TO's, Anritsu, AUL,
AVO/Biddle, Ballantine, Boonton, Cessna/ARC, Collins, Dumont, Efratom,
Datapulse, Dietzgen, Eaton, EIP, Entron, Lavoie, Hickok, GE, General
Radio / Genrad, General Microwave / GM, Gould, Hughes, Hycon, IFR,
ILC, ISAS, Jerrold, Kay, Kaypro, Keithley, Kepco, Keuffel and Esser,
Kikusui, Krohn Hite, Lamba, Lars, Lecroy, Lear Siegler, Leeds and
Northrup, Leland, Litcom, Litton, Logimetrics, Lockheed, Marconi,
Mercer, Mesc, Millivac, Motorola, National Instruments, Northeast,
Polarad, Powerdyne, Power Ten, PPM, PRD/Harris, Precision, Racal,
Raytheon, Rockwell, Rodale, Rohde and Schwarz, Scientific Atlanta,
Sentinel, Sierra, Slaughter, Soltec, Starrett, Stelma, Stolting,
Struthers, Stuart Dingman, Systron Donner / Datapulse, Teledyne,
Texscan, Tracor, Trio-Lab, Triplett, Victoreen, Visual Information
Institute, Wall and Tiernan, Wayne Kerr, Weinschel, Weston, Wild
Heerbrugg, Wiltron, and others.

Tom Gootee

----------
Norm Dresner

"Thomas P. Gootee" wrote in message
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

Thomas P. Gootee

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message ...
"Thomas P. Gootee" wrote in message
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

To each his own, I guess. (But THAT's a NEW one!)

I am a little curious, though, about why you put the word "music" in
quotation marks. Oh. Wait. There ISN'T (and wasn't) any music on that
webpage; no sound at all, in fact, as far as I can see. So you were
probably referring to one of the Bach "Three Part Inventions", or
possibly some of the Beethoven, on some of the other pages on my
website. Well! I realize they were only MIDI renditions (since MIDI is
so fast to download). But they still sound like MUSIC (no quotes), to
ME. Are you sure that your sound card is up to snuff? I thought that
that type of music was supposed to help INCREASE your intelligence.

All kidding aside: Just for the record, I've had many dozens of very
nice compliments, for the music on some of my webpages, "out of the
blue", over the years. But this is the very first "negative" comment
about any of it.

"May you have an interesting life." - ancient Chinese curse

Tom

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg (WARNING: SITE MAY CONTAIN (gasp!)
MUSIC.)

-----------------------------
Thomas P. Gootee

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message ...
"Thomas P. Gootee" wrote in message
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

-----------------------

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe that the fact that you
chose to click on my link DID give me your permission to play music on
your sound card, as well as to display stuff on your screen (anything
I want!). So are you ready to place your order?

(I'm way ahead of you guys Those of you who are actually thinking
more-clearly than I just did will probably say that in FACT, I DIDN'T
play the music on his soundcard, at all; that HE did it, himself, by
downloading some webpages from my ISP's computers. (I guess I have to
agree with you guys, this time.)

Cheers!

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg

-----------------------------

CJT

Thomas P. Gootee wrote:

[...]

How did you ever get the rights to distribute all those?

budgie

On 1 Aug 2004 13:03:37 -0700, (Thomas P. Gootee) wrote:

Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

There are hundreds of FULL SERVICE MANUALS and technical manuals, most
WITH SCHEMATICS ETC, for:
Cessna/ARC

You had me interested there for a moment. Still chasing the S/M for r\the
RT-328T civvy NavCom set.
Leonard Caillouet

Why is playing music on your sound card any different from playing video on
your graphics card? It is not like Tom is creating pop-up windows or
anything.

Actually he is a pretty good guy IME. Not a bad curve tracer for the price
either.

Leonard

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
"Thomas P. Gootee" wrote in message
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without

my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

Leonard Caillouet

You're still my favorite curmudgeon, Curmudgeon.

Leonard

"Curmudgeon" wrote in message
.. .
And boy are they glad!!

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card

without
my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

John Miller

Norm Dresner wrote:
Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without
my permission has ever gotten my business.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds "involuntary" music pretty
annoying. (And before anyone jumps to conclusions, it's because I *like*
music, rather than the opposite.)

--
John Miller
Email address: domain, n4vu.com; username, jsm

That must be wonderful: I don't understand it at all.
-Moliere

Thomas P. Gootee

CJT wrote in message ...
Thomas P. Gootee wrote:

[...]

Each case is different. Many/most of them are in the public domain. In
other cases, I have a letter from the manufacturer releasing their
copyright rights.

Tom Gootee

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg

-----------------------------

L.

Many web sites have music or other effects. It's the chance you take when
you log into one. If you (the poster who was bitching) don't like it, then
maybe you shouldn't surf! I have yet to see ANY web site issue a "CAUTION -
MUSIC AND/OR GRAPHICS" MAY PLAY WHILE LOADING AND RUNNING" What's the big
deal? Maybe it isn't Pop/Top 40/Rap/Blues or whatever your taste may be.....
but that's the breaks. DAMNED. I can think of much more important issues to
bitch about that some silly thing like that. IF they offer a product you
need, and you refuse to buy simply because they played music in the
background, no one is being hurt but you. Are you that bent out of shape
about the music if someone should send you a Musical E-Card?????? I get them
all the time. NO BIG DEAL. As long as it isn't a virus, I don't give a crap.

L.

wrote:

[...]

Michael A. Covington

You can set your browser not to play sounds or animations (and I do).

That doesn't keep me from thinking that superfluous music and animation are
annoying. That's why I turn them off.

Often they *seriously* distract from the purported purpose of the web page.

There's also the copyright problem. Probably 90% of the web site music that
I've heard is clearly taken from copyrighted media.

news

wrote:

[...]

Ken_B

I agree, Norm...

I hate getting sound on web sites. I leave that site immediately unless
there's a button to kill the sound.

Not good business practice.

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
"Thomas P. Gootee" wrote in message
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without

my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

L.

If it is a "copy right" infringement, then it's on them when they get busted
for it! Who are we to judge them? If it is music from yesteryear and they're
not claiming it as their own works, or trying to "avoid paying for it" as on
CDs as has been recent legal issue, I'm not so sure that may be an issue.
Not anymore so, than a Mall playing music. A lawyer may have a difference
take. Graphics and music can be an advertiser's best friend - if not abused.
However, I've seen some web sites which display a lot of graphics before the
site is ever loaded for the intended purpose and those could be trimmed
back. I don't mind graphics (tastefully done), but I don't want to sit there
for 15 minutes for it to load either. I will delete that site before that
page ever finished loading if it is extremely slow. Music in the background
of a site I'm viewing isn't so bad. Some times it is good music which may
just be easing up some tensions of the day. Not much different than going to
a Mall and seeing the banners, trailing display messages, and of course the
mall music.

The person designing the web page to begin with, should understand how much
that may slow down their page loading on the other end and try to keep it to
a minimum. They should understand too, they're trying to "sell" something,
not bore or offend the surfer - especially with over kill. But as you said,
you can limit what comes in and that's what personal choice is all about.
Some (maybe not all) web sites have music or graphics to get their point
across rather than words...... so, if you filter them out, then you missed
what they're trying to convey to you. In some cases, I suppose it is 6 of
one and a half dozen of the other. IF I don't like the site, find it too
boring, over done, loads too slow, etc; I simply do not mark it for future
reference. I've seen some sites that post lots of "pictures" which have ZERO
to do with the mission. Those too, are just as bad as graphics and music. Am
I bitching? NO. Too each their own. I'm just relating some surfing
experiences I'm sure many have had. The designer should put themselves in
the eyes of the viewer. What do they want to see? How fast can they get to
see what they stopped there for? What DOESN'T get the mission done? If I'm
looking for something, the last thing I want to see if a personal photo
collection. One web site I went to of a business offering a service had a
few of those. Speaking of rights infringement, PHOTOS could be just that as
well. IF someone has a photo of me, I sure in hell don't want it published
without my permission. But, some don't think of that either. They think it's
cute. Cute doesn't always sell. Not all web page owners can afford a
designer - especially one who knows what will work and what won't. Not all
companies can hire an Advertising agency to give them guidance. Many places
such as Yahoo offer "do it yourself" web site design. OR you can buy
software to do the same. They allow you to place what you want in there and
make it easier. They can't really give you the nuts and bolts of "effective"
advertising. The best the advertiser can hope for is to think it out. Stick
to the mission at hand. Don't get TOO cute. ASK for others opinions BEFORE
it sells your message/products - not your silly mood of that day.

"Michael A. Covington" wrote in message
You can set your browser not to play sounds or animations (and I do).

That doesn't keep me from thinking that superfluous music and animation

are
annoying. That's why I turn them off.

Often they *seriously* distract from the purported purpose of the web

page.

There's also the copyright problem. Probably 90% of the web site music

that
I've heard is clearly taken from copyrighted media.

news

wrote:

[...]

Franc Zabkar

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:44:23 GMT, "Norm Dresner" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

"Thomas P. Gootee" wrote in message
m...
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/manuals.htm

Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card without my
permission has ever gotten my business.

N O B O D Y ! ! !

I visit websites to find information, not to be "entertained". Having
said that, I don't hear any sound when visiting TG's site. I'm using
Opera 7, and "sound in Web pages" is enabled. BTW, I particularly
dislike flash intros because they waste my time and eat into my
download allowance. I'm also annoyed by technical sites whose content
cannot be accessed without enabling images.

- Franc Zabkar
Michael A. Covington

"L." wrote in message
io.net...
If it is a "copy right" infringement, then it's on them when they get

busted
for it! Who are we to judge them? If it is music from yesteryear and

they're
not claiming it as their own works, or trying to "avoid paying for it" as

on
CDs as has been recent legal issue, I'm not so sure that may be an issue.

Using someone else's music for advertising is DEFINITELY a copyright issue.

Not anymore so, than a Mall playing music.

Malls pay royalties. Ever heard of ASCAP? There are agencies for making
sure the musicians get paid. That is why recorded music so often comes
through an agency such as Muzak rather than the mall owners just playing CDs
on the PA system.

I don't mind graphics (tastefully done), but I don't want to sit there
for 15 minutes for it to load either. I will delete that site before that
page ever finished loading if it is extremely slow.

Agreed!

The person designing the web page to begin with, should understand how

much
that may slow down their page loading on the other end and try to keep it

a minimum. They should understand too, they're trying to "sell" something,
not bore or offend the surfer - especially with over kill.

Hear, hear! Some web pages seem to be designed by people who have forgotten
what the web page is *for*, and have just piled in special effects one after
another.

The eye will be drawn to movement. It is bothersome to have something
*moving* that is not supposed to be the center of attention.

Speaking of rights infringement, PHOTOS could be just that as
well. IF someone has a photo of me, I sure in hell don't want it published
without my permission.

Right! And unless it's bona fide news coverage, they can't legally publish
it. More of a problem is people stealing photographs from other people's
web sites. I'm also a photographer; none of my work has been stolen as far
as I know, but I've heard from others whose work has been stolen.

gothika

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:25:07 -0400, "Michael A. Covington"
wrote:

"L." wrote in message
rio.net...
[...]

From one professional photographer to another, photo theft is rampant.
I've found some of my stock work on sites residing on servers in the
Baltics.
I sometime see some of my work on so called "Royalty Free" sites as
well.
They've always yanked it when my Lawyer give them a ring, but it's
seldom worth the cost of pursueing legally for recompense.

Michael A. Covington

"gothika" wrote in message

From one professional photographer to another, photo theft is rampant.
I've found some of my stock work on sites residing on servers in the
Baltics.
I sometime see some of my work on so called "Royalty Free" sites as
well.
They've always yanked it when my Lawyer give them a ring, but it's
seldom worth the cost of pursueing legally for recompense.

The root of the problem is the widespread misconception that the Internet is
somehow above the law, or that even when you're advertising a business on
the Internet, you're just indulging a private hobby, making copies of things
for personal use. I've encountered a lot of doublethink on this issue.

Chaos Master

FATAL: panic at , line 666, address "Ken_B" @:
I agree, Norm...

I hate getting sound on web sites. I leave that site immediately unless
there's a button to kill the sound.

You know you can disable them on the Internet Options (IE) or in the
Preferences (Mozilla/Opera), don't you? I've done this and don't regret it.

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: http://marreka.no-ip.com

TekMan

(Thomas P. Gootee) wrote in message m...
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

At Tom gootee for 5$ to 15$ each.

FREE download from he

www.logsa.army.mil

bama.sbc.edu

Don't forget to mention this, Tom.

GRIN..

scnr,
Andreas

Leonard Caillouet

Why not either disable that input on your sound card or adjust the volume
down.

Leonard

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Chaos Master" wrote in message
t...
FATAL: panic at John Miller, line 666, address :
Norm Dresner wrote:
Nobody -- and I mean NOBODY -- who plays "music" on my sound card

without
my permission has ever gotten my business.

Glad to know I'm not the only one who finds "involuntary" music pretty
annoying. (And before anyone jumps to conclusions, it's because I

*like*
music, rather than the opposite.)

The same here. I am usually listening to MP3 or music CD's, and I have

total
control. I want to stop my MP3/CD player? good, click on the icon,

select
'STOP'. But a site/program that has music in the background or uses too

much
sounds... almost makes me fall on the floor (just imagine being on a

silent
place and someone comes screaming) [1].

[1] This remembers me of a thing I had when I used the ICQ instant
messaging program... it has an alarm sound which sounds like a strong

siren.
Scares the hell out of someone - this fancy stuff made me give up on ICQ

and
return to MSN Messenger :/

I'm the exact same way, I *hate* it when music/sounds start playing on a
website, usually I just close it right then and there, often I've left the
volume way up from listening to my own music earlier and it scares the

crap
out of me when sounds play.

MSN messenger comes with sounds enabled by default as well, thankfully

with
both of them the sounds are easily disabled/replaced.

Thomas P. Gootee

(TekMan) wrote in message . com...
(Thomas P. Gootee) wrote in message m...
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

At Tom gootee for 5$ to 15$ each.

FREE download from he

www.logsa.army.mil

bama.sbc.edu

Don't forget to mention this, Tom.

GRIN..

scnr,
Andreas

I'm shocked(!), shocked(!), that I forgot to mention that, Andreas!
;-)

But, as I have said, MOST people will not be able to find MANY of the
manuals that I have (But, if they can, then good for them!). And many
people do not even wish to try, anyway.

Tom

http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg

P.S. What is "scnr"?
TekMan

(TekMan) wrote in message . com...
(Thomas P. Gootee) wrote in message m...
Service Manuals, in PDF format:

There are lots of SERVICE MANUALS, for electronic test equipment, and
comms radios, etc etc, in PDF format, available at:

At Tom gootee for 5$ to 15$ each.

FREE download from he

www.logsa.army.mil

bama.sbc.edu

Don't forget to mention this, Tom.

GRIN..

scnr,
Andreas

I'm shocked(!), shocked(!), that I forgot to mention that, Andreas!
;-)

more shock: http://www.datasouthservices.com

and even mo simply search via google.

But, as I have said, MOST people will not be able to find MANY of the
manuals that I have (But, if they can, then good for them!). And many
people do not even wish to try, anyway.

Tom

P.S. What is "scnr"?

I recommend you read the faq, after being so long hanging around in
the groups you should not ask this question ))

...let's feed the trolls...
Chaos Master

Chaos happened and James Sweet said:

I'm the exact same way, I *hate* it when music/sounds start playing on a
website, usually I just close it right then and there, often I've left the
volume way up from listening to my own music earlier and it scares the crap
out of me when sounds play.

MSN messenger comes with sounds enabled by default as well, thankfully with
both of them the sounds are easily disabled/replaced.

This is what I have done here. MSN Messenger comes with some sounds that are
OK, but ICQ comes with HORRIBLE sounds. :/

[]s
--
Chaos Master®, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: http://marreka.no-ip.com
"You're guilty; the punishment is death for all who live."

Thomas P. Gootee

(TekMan) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Helpful, as usual, I see.

So, RTFF? That's all you've got?

I recommend that you RBTL and RTWOTW. (Sort of like R'ingTF'ingM, but
somewhat more literary.)

SCNRAYPNW.

---------

L.

Speaking of slow loading sites, unless it was an unusual event or my
computer, this one seemed like it was taking forever. This is ONE of those
as discussed - taking a long time to load.... I deleted it before it even
got a fifth of the way done and I had already waited about 3 minutes. That
is WAY too long. In this case, it appeared - way too much graphics. Didn't
hear any music as yet as it was loading.

L.

FREE download from he

www.logsa.army.mil

William R. Walsh

Hi!

All kidding aside: Just for the record, I've had many dozens of very
nice compliments, for the music on some of my webpages, "out of the
blue", over the years. But this is the very first "negative" comment
about any of it.

I must admit that I don't overly mind music in webpages (most browsers have
a provision not to play it anyhow) but it's quite another matter when it
comes from a webpage where I wouldn't expect to see it. Especially since
I've usually got my volume controls on the computer set for wave audio
(which in my case plays more softly than does MIDI) and I don't like jumping
up and bashing my head into the ceiling when some music comes on
unexpectedly.

William

William R. Walsh

Hi!

I visit websites to find information, not to be "entertained". Having
said that, I don't hear any sound when visiting TG's site. I'm using
Opera 7, and "sound in Web pages" is enabled. BTW, I particularly
dislike flash intros because they waste my time and eat into my
download allowance. I'm also annoyed by technical sites whose content
cannot be accessed without enabling images.

Flash is all too evil. I do agree that it has its good uses, but it has no
use as the primary means of navigating a web site or providing some
irritating and unneeded demonstration. And unlike most forms of sound that
play in webpages, it doesn't work at all well on older computers. I like my
P150 notebook just fine and have no intention of upgrading it. It does the
job I ask. I just wish I could positively refuse the Flash plug-in for once
and for all on most major browsers.

William

Chaos Master

William R. Walsh m) escre=
veu=20
em rnyRc.269596$Oq2.170739@attbi_s52:

Flash is all too evil. I do agree that it has its good uses, but it has n=

use as the primary means of navigating a web site or providing some
irritating and unneeded demonstration. And unlike most forms of sound tha=

play in webpages, it doesn't work at all well on older computers. I like =

my
P150 notebook just fine and have no intention of upgrading it. It does th=

job I ask. I just wish I could positively refuse the Flash plug-in for on=

ce
and for all on most major browsers.

I have not installed the Flash plug-in in my Mozilla Firefox. I just use IE=
=20
when I want to browse a Flash-based site (like music sites). I use a 233MHz=
=20
Pentium and results with Flash are ... catastrophic. I had a Flash-using ad=
=20
from Geocities crash my IE. :/

--=20
Chaos Master=AE, posting from Brazil. REPLY TO GROUP!
MSN: wizard_of_yendor[@]hotmail[.]com http://marreka.no-ip.com=20
"You're guilty; the punishment is death for all who live."
-- Iron Maiden, "Out Of The Silent Planet"