Default clever fixing of bath to wall batten ?

My bath rim will be supported on a wooden batten fixed to the wall, to
avoid movement of the tile/bath seal etc. I want to come up with a way
of fixing the rim to the batten from below (i.e. under the bath), but
of course the body of the bath is in the way, so you cannot see or
access the area to screw / bolt etc. I don't want to fix the bath to
the wall using metal brackets, it has to be hard down to the batten.
Any clever ideas ?
TIA,
Simon.

What's the bath made of? If "plastic", is it framed in
timber under the rim?

Yep, its wood under the rim, although a little spindley in places.
I could be screwed into.
Simon.

Whoops, "It" could be treated in said manner.
Also, fibreglass bath with wood inside the rim.
Simon.

One way would be to use hinges, 'though that's a bit whackey
Now that, *is* a clever idea. I would have to ensure the bath could be
swung into position
from such a weird angle though. I have an image of the whole bath on a
hydraulic strut ...
But this idea would be sort of self-locking.
A variation would be a fixings that engage by sliding the bath sideways
a small distance.
A very useful train of thought, cheers Chris.
Simon.

Christian McArdle

My bath rim will be supported on a wooden batten fixed to the wall, to
avoid movement of the tile/bath seal etc.

I'd just rest it on there. It won't be going anywhere. Adjust the feet so
that a very small load is taken by the batten. You don't want too much, or
it could crack the bath if it is not designed to be supported in that
manner.

Christian.

ben

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[snip]

Cut the top of the batten at an angle, such that the lip of the bath
is drawn against the wall as it is lowered. To fix it, cut vertical
slots for the fixings and use screws plus washers. Leave the screws
sufficiently loose that the weight of the bath can push it down, then
temporarily fit the bath in place. Remove without disturbing the
batten, then fully tighten the screws and perhaps add more fixings.

Ain't got a clue what your getting at?
What fixings?

Stuart Noble

ben wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[snip]

Cut the top of the batten at an angle, such that the lip of the bath
is drawn against the wall as it is lowered. To fix it, cut vertical
slots for the fixings and use screws plus washers. Leave the screws
sufficiently loose that the weight of the bath can push it down, then
temporarily fit the bath in place. Remove without disturbing the
batten, then fully tighten the screws and perhaps add more fixings.

Ain't got a clue what your getting at?
What fixings?

Can't get the hang of this at all. If the bath is rigid at the base, how
is the rim likely to move?

ben

Stuart Noble wrote:
ben wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[snip]

Cut the top of the batten at an angle, such that the lip of the bath
is drawn against the wall as it is lowered. To fix it, cut vertical
slots for the fixings and use screws plus washers. Leave the screws
sufficiently loose that the weight of the bath can push it down,
then temporarily fit the bath in place. Remove without disturbing
the batten, then fully tighten the screws and perhaps add more
fixings.

Ain't got a clue what your getting at?
What fixings?

Can't get the hang of this at all. If the bath is rigid at the base,
how is the rim likely to move?

Maybe he's a big fellow. ;-)

Harry Bloomfield

ben was thinking very hard :
Ain't got a clue what your getting at?
What fixings?

Screws and plugs or expanding anchors.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Chris Bacon

Stuart Noble wrote:

If the bath is rigid at the base, how is the rim likely to move?

It's plastic. It will move. If it wae pressed steel, it would
still move. If it was cast iron, it would still move, but not
by much.

Harry Bloomfield

Stuart Noble explained on 08/09/2005 :
Can't get the hang of this at all. If the bath is rigid at the base, how is
the rim likely to move?

They do all move to some extent due to deflection due to the weight.
Especially on a wooden floor and even more so plastic baths. That is
why you fill them, to put the sealant round, so the deflection is at
maximum.