Andrew Gabriel

In article .com,
writes:
My bath rim will be supported on a wooden batten fixed to the wall, to
avoid movement of the tile/bath seal etc. I want to come up with a way
of fixing the rim to the batten from below (i.e. under the bath), but
of course the body of the bath is in the way, so you cannot see or
access the area to screw / bolt etc. I don't want to fix the bath to
the wall using metal brackets, it has to be hard down to the batten.
Any clever ideas ?

Having had a bit of dry rot under the bath (not serious fortunately),
I was somewhat paranoid about having any further timber in that area.
So I glued the edge of the bath to the plaster with silicone sealant,
which also forms a waterproof barrier against water running down the
gap. I have then tiled down to the edge of the bath and the join
between bath and tiles is grouted without any sign of cracking due
to movement, although this is a pressed steel bath on a concrete
floor. Even if this grout line did crack, the silicone would still
stop water leaking through. The only snag is that the bath cannot
easily be removed (would probably need a cheesewire to cut through
the sealant after removing bottom row of tiles to get access to it).

--
Andrew Gabriel