Broadback

Default Help please, problem installing bath

Having taken bathroom walls down to bare brick and had them re
plastered I now have a bath fitting problem.
The walls making the corner into which the bath will fit are not at
right angles, nor is the long wall straight.
If I butt the long bath edge to the wall there is a gap of about 7mm
half way along that edge, and the end of the short edge is about 23mm
from the wall.
When the short side of the bath is butted to the wall the gap at the end
of the long length is 42mm from the wall. The walls will be tiled
after fitting the bath. Any suggestions to overcome this problem, with
a good looking finish? I cannot dig the wall out much on the short end
as pipes for a shower run up in the centre, and are only just buried in
the wall.
TIA
Set Square

Broadback wrote:

Having taken bathroom walls down to bare brick and had them re
plastered I now have a bath fitting problem.
The walls making the corner into which the bath will fit are not at
right angles, nor is the long wall straight.
If I butt the long bath edge to the wall there is a gap of about 7mm
half way along that edge, and the end of the short edge is about 23mm
from the wall.
When the short side of the bath is butted to the wall the gap at the
end of the long length is 42mm from the wall. The walls will be
tiled after fitting the bath. Any suggestions to overcome this
problem, with a good looking finish? I cannot dig the wall out much
on the short end as pipes for a shower run up in the centre, and are
only just buried in the wall.
TIA

Get the plasterer back to do a *proper* job. There's no reason for a 7mm dip
even if the underlying brickwork isn't quite uniform. If you make it clear
that the corner has to be square, he can build up the plaster thickness at
the corner end of the wall taking the short side of the bath. [It's this
23mm on the short side which is the biggest problem. Assuming that you're
fitting the bath to the plaster and then tiling down to it, you can probably
lose most of the 7mm dip behind a generous dose of tile adhesive. But it's
better to get the plaster flat, if you can.]
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Broadback wrote:
Having taken bathroom walls down to bare brick and had them re
plastered I now have a bath fitting problem.
The walls making the corner into which the bath will fit are not at
right angles, nor is the long wall straight.

They never are, modern houses seem just as bad, if not worse than, old
houses. Our 1960s flat in London is *awful* whereas our 1920s house
in rural suffolk is about the squarest I've ever worked in.

If I butt the long bath edge to the wall there is a gap of about 7mm
half way along that edge, and the end of the short edge is about 23mm
from the wall.
When the short side of the bath is butted to the wall the gap at the end
of the long length is 42mm from the wall. The walls will be tiled
after fitting the bath. Any suggestions to overcome this problem, with
a good looking finish? I cannot dig the wall out much on the short end
as pipes for a shower run up in the centre, and are only just buried in
the wall.

You need some sort of trim strip to take up the slack (says he stating
the obvious!). I think I'd fit a piece of wood to the wall such that
the rim of the bath rests on it (or is just clear). Then tile the
walls and fit the bath. When everything is in place and settled put
some sort of sealant on top of the wood to fill the gap between the
bath and the tiles.

--
Chris Green
Stuart

On 11 Nov 2004 13:42:56 GMT, wrote:

Broadback wrote:
[...]

I had this exact problem ...If the OP can't get the wall replastered
properly then he can do what I did . In Homebase I found amongst the tile
trims lengths of a Hard Plastic Trim which I think is probably for
putting at the top of a row of tiles ..The profile is like the letter P
but without the top straight part so it is more like a ? ..I fitted it
with silicon to the tiles and bath ( after filling the bath) and then
completed the join with more silicone to avoid water gathering along the
top....The join at the corner was done using an electric compound mitre
as the trim sits at an angle to the wall ..It worked very well. I got
white trim but from memory there were other colours available..

I might have a spare bit available so if the Op wants me to send it I can
do that if he e-mails me direct

Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
The Natural Philosopher

Broadback wrote:

[...]

Or do what we did.

push the bath out from teh wall and use soime 2x2 to mount it to, and
tile over it for a fancy ledge for coffee cups and shampoo..

If you are tiling, you can roughly level with plaster and a bit of wood
as a scraper. Gettng plaster levels is easy, its getting a decent
surface on it that takes the skill.

Problem with room getting too hot from facing the south (even in late October) jeff Home Repair 11 November 2nd 04 08:18 PM
Bath Tap Nut Replacement Problem Stuart UK diy 9 February 14th 04 12:06 PM
bath problem mary UK diy 12 January 26th 04 10:14 PM
Uneven floor joists....installing new floor covering...2 problems. Dave Bonnell Home Repair 5 October 29th 03 02:58 PM