Stuart

Default Bath Tap Nut Replacement Problem

A friend of mine has asked me to have a look at one of her bath taps
which is loose nd turns when opened .
It would seem without having looked at it that the back nut has
broken. She said a while ago that she heard something fall down behind
the bath.
I am hpoing that the builders ( house is two years old ) will have put
isolating valves in the pipe behind the bath panel but I am not too
hopeful.
In case they havent put valves in I need to find a way to turn the hot
water off . The hot water is fed from a Vokera combi boiler in the
kitchen .
Is there anything built in to these boilers that allow the water to be
turned off easily and if so is there anything to watch out for when
turning it back on again. ??
tia
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In case they havent put valves in I need to find a way to turn the hot
water off . The hot water is fed from a Vokera combi boiler in the
kitchen .
Is there anything built in to these boilers that allow the water to be
turned off easily and if so is there anything to watch out for when
turning it back on again. ??

If it's a combi, you simply turn off the mains.

--
*Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.*

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:51:31 +0000, Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In case they havent put valves in I need to find a way to turn the hot
water off . The hot water is fed from a Vokera combi boiler in the
kitchen .
Is there anything built in to these boilers that allow the water to be
turned off easily and if so is there anything to watch out for when
turning it back on again. ??

If it's a combi, you simply turn off the mains.

You may well find that the cold inlet has a valve on it, either on the
boiler itself or on its supply pipe.
This let's you have a cup of tea half way through the job and wash you
hands with CW as needed.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Alex

You require a top hat washer fitted between tap backnut and bath to secure
the tap.

Set Square

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Stuart wrote:
In case they havent put valves in I need to find a way to turn the
hot water off . The hot water is fed from a Vokera combi boiler in
the kitchen .
Is there anything built in to these boilers that allow the water to
be turned off easily and if so is there anything to watch out for
when turning it back on again. ??

If it's a combi, you simply turn off the mains.

Indeed, since it's a mains pressure hot water system - if you stop cold
water going into the combi, there ain't going to be any hot water coming
out!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Stuart

On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 17:37:58 +0000 (UTC), "Alex"
wrote:

You require a top hat washer fitted between tap backnut and bath to secure
the tap.

Ive just looked at my bath taps -all I can see is the nut tight up against
the underside of the bath . It is a nut with a broad flange nearest the
bath surface . Is that what you mean -the only other nut is the tap
connector at the tail of the tap ??
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
nick smith

If it's a combi, you simply turn off the mains.

Indeed, since it's a mains pressure hot water system - if you stop cold
water going into the combi, there ain't going to be any hot water coming
out!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

and turn off the gas / electricity so it cant fire up and self destruct (which it
shouldn't anyway)

Nick

Ed Sirett

wrote:

You require a top hat washer fitted between tap backnut and bath to secure
the tap.

Ive just looked at my bath taps -all I can see is the nut tight up against
the underside of the bath . It is a nut with a broad flange nearest the
bath surface . Is that what you mean -the only other nut is the tap
connector at the tail of the tap ??
Stuart

Some (esp. older) taps don't have the threads running all the way to the top so
you need a spacer (a top hat washer) especially if the bath is a thin
steel one.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Alex

Have yet to find a pillar taps with short threads ,but I always fit top hats
to kitchen and bath and so does every other plumber I know.The only loose
taps I come across do not have them fitted.

bath problem mary UK diy 12 January 26th 04 10:14 PM
Sealant around bath not setting! BraileTrail UK diy 14 January 14th 04 08:49 PM
Very slow draining of bath, how to cure? [email protected] UK diy 26 December 14th 03 10:32 PM
Bath Replacement and Damaged Tiles D Hatje UK diy 4 October 27th 03 09:58 AM
Rubber strip for front edge of bath David W.E. Roberts UK diy 9 October 14th 03 11:50 AM