raden

Default This sudden rush of FAQs

If anyone needs them hosting, I set up www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
diy faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have
plenty of space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy
faqs.

So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing,
my emails valid

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

If anyone needs them hosting, I set up www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the diy
faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty of
space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.

So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing, my
emails valid

Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!

I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.

When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?

Mary

--
geoff

Dave Fawthrop

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 15:49:27 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| "raden" wrote in message
|
| If anyone needs them hosting, I set up www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the diy
| faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty of
| space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.
|
| So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing, my
| emails valid
|
| Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!
|
| I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.
|
| When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?

Thanks for volunteering Mary

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...

"raden" wrote in message

If anyone needs them hosting, I set up
www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the diy
faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty of
space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.

So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing, my
emails valid

Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!

I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.

When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?

Surely macrame must be near the top of the list?
Mary Fisher

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...

"raden" wrote in message

If anyone needs them hosting, I set up
www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
diy
faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty
of
space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.

So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing,
my
emails valid

Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!

I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.

When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?

Surely macrame must be near the top of the list?

Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about that!

Mary

Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:32:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| "Rob Morley" wrote in message
| t...
| In article ,
| says...
|
| "raden" wrote in message
|
| If anyone needs them hosting, I set up
www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
| diy
| faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty
| of
| space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.
|
| So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing,
| my
| emails valid
|
| Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!
|
| I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.
|
| When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?
|
| Surely macrame must be near the top of the list?
|
| Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about that!

Another kind offer from Mary ;-)

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.
Rob Morley

In article ,
says...
wrote:

| "Rob Morley" wrote in message
| t...
| In article ,

says...

| "raden" wrote in message
|
| If anyone needs them hosting, I set up
www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
| diy
| faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty
| of
| space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.
|
| So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing,
| my
| emails valid
|
| Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!
|
| I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.
|
| When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?
|
| Surely macrame must be near the top of the list?
|
| Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about that!

Another kind offer from Mary ;-)

Excellent. Can we count on you for the batik and tie-dye, Dave?
Dave Fawthrop

On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 12:29:11 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

| In article ,
| says...
| On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 10:32:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
| wrote:

| |
| | "Rob Morley" wrote in message
| | t...
| | In article ,
| |
says...
| |
| | "raden" wrote in message
| |
| | If anyone needs them hosting, I set up
www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
| | diy
| | faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there. I have plenty
| | of
| | space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy faqs.
| |
| | So if anyone needs somewhere to put up e.g. an faq on soft furnishing,
| | my
| | emails valid
| |
| | Oh, Geoff,thank you so much!
| |
| | I've been desperate for a soft furnishing faq.
| |
| | When can we have a flower aranging one - or lampshade making perhaps?
| |
| | Surely macrame must be near the top of the list?
| |
| | Ooh yes, I'd forgotten about that!
|
| Another kind offer from Mary ;-)
|
| Excellent. Can we count on you for the batik and tie-dye, Dave?

I know nothing about them :-))))

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.
Phil Addison

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 23:47:38 GMT, in uk.d-i-y raden
wrote:

If anyone needs them hosting, I set up www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
diy faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there.

That's quite true, Geoff, and your offer was much appreciated. It is
necessary to have password access to the FAQ in order to maintain it,
whatever domain is chosen. We did have some discussion about
transferring your domain to me to resolve that, but in the end the
simplest thing was for me to take up the available diyfaq.org.uk in
order to have full control over the FAQ.

Later, when I posted about problems with bandwidth limitations on the
then current host, grunff offered to host the FAQ on Clare Associates
server, giving us a much greater throughput.

I have plenty of space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy
faqs.

It is not so much the space needed, which is only a couple of MB, but
the large bandwidth consumed by the FAQ that is the burden on the host
site. Average hits on the FAQ are around 110,000/month with 1.3GB/month
throughput.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
raden

In message , Phil Addison
writes
wrote:

If anyone needs them hosting, I set up www.uk-diy.org ages ago for the
diy faqs, but Phil decided not to host the main site there.

That's quite true, Geoff, and your offer was much appreciated. It is
necessary to have password access to the FAQ in order to maintain it,
whatever domain is chosen. We did have some discussion about
transferring your domain to me to resolve that, but in the end the
simplest thing was for me to take up the available diyfaq.org.uk in
order to have full control over the FAQ.

Later, when I posted about problems with bandwidth limitations on the
then current host, grunff offered to host the FAQ on Clare Associates
server, giving us a much greater throughput.

Ah - so grunff is hosting it all ?

I didn't realise that

I just noticed that there were a lot of Faqs suddenly appearing and that
I have space and b/w available.

Password access is not a problem, I think I gave it to you

If it's all in hand, no problem

I have plenty of space and it currently just acts as a redirect to the diy
faqs.

It is not so much the space needed, which is only a couple of MB, but
the large bandwidth consumed by the FAQ that is the burden on the host
site. Average hits on the FAQ are around 110,000/month with 1.3GB/month
throughput.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

--
geoff

Grunff

raden wrote:

Ah - so grunff is hosting it all ?

Everything under http://diyfaq.org.uk/, yes.

Happy to continue hosting it for the foreseeable future, and will only
start to worry about bandwidth when it hits 6 gig/month.

--
Grunff
Michael Mcneil

"Grunff" wrote in message

Happy to continue hosting it for the foreseeable future, and will only
start to worry about bandwidth when it hits 6 gig/month.

I understand about Bandwidth pressure taking demands out of server
resources.

I presume it is similar to trying to run XP on a 486 when demand is very
high.

But I would appreciate a little more help on the mechanics. How do the
pieces fit for example?

Phil Addison

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:31:17 GMT, in uk.d-i-y raden
wrote:

Ah - so grunff is hosting it all ?

I didn't realise that

I just noticed that there were a lot of Faqs suddenly appearing and that
I have space and b/w available.

Password access is not a problem, I think I gave it to you

Geoff, yes you did give me a password, but I sounds as if there must
have been some mis-understanding over what you were offering and what I
needed for my own peace of mind.

Basically it was important for me to have full ownership and control of
the domain if I was to be responsible for its maintenance, regardless of
where it was hosted. That is why we discussed my buying www.uk-diy.org
off you, but in the end you decided to retain title to it.

Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.

If it's all in hand, no problem

It does seem to be, but I'm happy to go into more detail in private
email if you want.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
raden

In message , Grunff
writes
raden wrote:

Ah - so grunff is hosting it all ?

Everything under http://diyfaq.org.uk/, yes.

I'll pay a bit more attention in the future

(especially as www.uk-diy.org directs to it)

Happy to continue hosting it for the foreseeable future, and will only
start to worry about bandwidth when it hits 6 gig/month.

--
geoff
Grunff

raden wrote:

I'll pay a bit more attention in the future

(especially as www.uk-diy.org directs to it)

:-)

Incidentally, if you wish to point that domain directly at the web
server, rather than have to buy hosting especially for it, it would be
no problem.

--
Grunff

raden

In message , Phil Addison
writes
wrote:

[...]

Not really, if it's sorted. It's sorted

It's just that the resource is there to make use of and I didn't
actually look at where they were hosted

--
geoff
Michael Mcneil

"Phil Addison" wrote in message

Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.

What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?

raden

In message , Grunff
writes
raden wrote:

I'll pay a bit more attention in the future
(especially as www.uk-diy.org directs to it)

:-)

Incidentally, if you wish to point that domain directly at the web
server, rather than have to buy hosting especially for it, it would be
no problem.

Email me

email addy is valid

--
geoff
raden

In message lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"Phil Addison" wrote in message

Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.

What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?

Diyfaq/coffins ?

--
geoff
Phil Addison

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:30:36 GMT, in uk.d-i-y raden
wrote:

In message lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"Phil Addison" wrote in message

Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.

What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?

Diyfaq/coffins ?

Nice one :-)

I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key, but the precise
domain name is not really that important as the faq on a new domain
would easily be found by the search engines. Domains do expire after 2
year, so someone else could buy it up.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

Phil Addison

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 16:40:02 GMT, in uk.d-i-y raden
wrote:

In message , Grunff
writes
raden wrote:

I'll pay a bit more attention in the future
(especially as www.uk-diy.org directs to it)

:-)

Incidentally, if you wish to point that domain directly at the web
server, rather than have to buy hosting especially for it, it would be
no problem.

Email me

And me. I have diyfaq.co.uk as well, also pointed to it.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
raden

In message , Phil Addison
writes
On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 17:30:36 GMT, in uk.d-i-y raden
wrote:

In message lgate.org,
Michael Mcneil writes
"Phil Addison" wrote in message

Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.

What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?

Diyfaq/coffins ?

Nice one :-)

I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key,

Does he not already have one ?

but the precise
domain name is not really that important as the faq on a new domain
would easily be found by the search engines. Domains do expire after 2
year, so someone else could buy it up.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

--
geoff
Grunff

raden wrote:

I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key,

Does he not already have one ?

Not to the domain, no. The site is hosted on one of our servers, but the
domain is hosted with 123reg. There's nothing wrong with that
arrangement, but it means that control of the domain is Phil's.

--
Grunff
Grunff

Phil Addison wrote:

And me. I have diyfaq.co.uk as well, also pointed to it.

I can see that. The way your domain is 'pointed' is different from the
way raden has uk-diy.org pointed.

Both diyfaq.co.uk and diyfaq.org.uk have their name servers pointing to
our server. That means that any requests for those domains get answered
by our server.

OTOH uk-diy.org has a hosted page which forwards to diyfaq.org.uk. This
means that raden is at some point paying for hosting for this forwarding
page. I was just pointing out that the same can be achieved without
paying for this hosting.

Note: hosting aside, all domains require renewal (every 2 years for .uk
domains, variable for .com + .org). There's no way of avoiding renewal
fees - everyone, including us, has to pay for domain renewal.

--
Grunff
raden

In message , Grunff
writes
raden wrote:

I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key,

Does he not already have one ?

Not to the domain, no. The site is hosted on one of our servers, but
the domain is hosted with 123reg. There's nothing wrong with that
arrangement, but it means that control of the domain is Phil's.

Should we take this to email ?

--
geoff

Phil Addison

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 19:57:45 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff
wrote:

raden wrote:

I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key,

Does he not already have one ?

Not to the domain, no. The site is hosted on one of our servers, but the
domain is hosted with 123reg. There's nothing wrong with that
arrangement, but it means that control of the domain is Phil's.

I was referring to root account on your server which I presume would
allow you to access and update the files in an emergency.

Regarding the domain itself, I'm happy for you, or another regular, to
have backup access to that too.

But before people get carried away thinking the FAQ would vanish with my
demise, they should be aware that it is a trivial matter to copy it to
another domain, Geoff's for example, at any time. Alternatively, any one
of you can take a backup - it's only a couple of megs.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
raden

In message , Phil Addison
writes
wrote:

raden wrote:

I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key,

Does he not already have one ?

Not to the domain, no. The site is hosted on one of our servers, but the
domain is hosted with 123reg. There's nothing wrong with that
arrangement, but it means that control of the domain is Phil's.

I was referring to root account on your server which I presume would
allow you to access and update the files in an emergency.

Regarding the domain itself, I'm happy for you, or another regular, to
have backup access to that too.

But before people get carried away thinking the FAQ would vanish with my
demise, they should be aware that it is a trivial matter to copy it to
another domain, Geoff's for example, at any time. Alternatively, any one
of you can take a backup - it's only a couple of megs.

So what I'm on about is really not an issue then

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me

--
geoff
Phil Addison

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 20:07:58 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Grunff
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

And me. I have diyfaq.co.uk as well, also pointed to it.

I can see that. The way your domain is 'pointed' is different from the
way raden has uk-diy.org pointed.

Both diyfaq.co.uk and diyfaq.org.uk have their name servers pointing to
our server. That means that any requests for those domains get answered
by our server.

OTOH uk-diy.org has a hosted page which forwards to diyfaq.org.uk. This
means that raden is at some point paying for hosting for this forwarding
page. I was just pointing out that the same can be achieved without
paying for this hosting.

Ah yes, of course. I thought maybe you had some sort of cheap bulk
registrations waiting to be used up ;-)

Note: hosting aside, all domains require renewal (every 2 years for .uk
domains, variable for .com + .org). There's no way of avoiding renewal
fees - everyone, including us, has to pay for domain renewal.

I know, but it only costs me £6.79/2years for each of those.

diyfaq.com is taken by a net leech in Texas, who is trying to sell it
for $1000.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:32:14 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
wrote:

| "Phil Addison" wrote in message
|

| Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
| diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.
|
| What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?

The domain could be offered to some kind person here.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.
Grunff

Phil Addison wrote:

Ah yes, of course. I thought maybe you had some sort of cheap bulk
registrations waiting to be used up ;-)

Sadly we're not 'volume' enough to get really cheap rates.

I know, but it only costs me £6.79/2years for each of those.

Yes, 123's rates are very good indeed.

diyfaq.com is taken by a net leech in Texas, who is trying to sell it
for $1000.

ROFL.

--
Grunff

Phil Addison

wrote:

| "Phil Addison" wrote in message
|

| Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
| diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.
|
| What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?

The domain could be offered to some kind person here.

All sorted now. I've given access details to Grunff.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
Dave Fawthrop

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:57:31 GMT, Phil Addison
wrote:

| On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 21:54:08 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Fawthrop
| wrote:
|
| On Sun, 4 Sep 2005 16:32:14 +0000 (UTC), "Michael Mcneil"
| wrote:
|
| | "Phil Addison" wrote in message
| |
| |
| | Just for the record, I intend to give the option of taking over title of
| | diyfaq.org.uk to whoever next takes on the FAQ maintenance.
| |
| | What happens in the event of your sudden and unforseen, untimely?
|
| The domain could be offered to some kind person here.
|
| All sorted now. I've given access details to Grunff.

To be foolproof, You would also have to tell your webhoster that it is now
jointly owned and change the Nominet registration to joint names.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.
Richard Conway

Phil Addison wrote:
I'm sure grunff would be able to find a spare key, but the precise
domain name is not really that important as the faq on a new domain
would easily be found by the search engines. Domains do expire after 2
year, so someone else could buy it up.

Ah, but that's only of the Texan leech doesn't get there first!
Grunff

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

To be foolproof, You would also have to tell your webhoster that it is now
jointly owned and change the Nominet registration to joint names.

Really, really, really not necessary.

--
Grunff
Dave Fawthrop

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:20:16 +0100, Grunff wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| To be foolproof, You would also have to tell your webhoster that it is now
| jointly owned and change the Nominet registration to joint names.
|
| Really, really, really not necessary.

You assume that the Webhoster would accept payment from you to continue the
registration, and Nominet would accept the change of ownership. IME all
Ts must be crossed and Is dotted, failure to do those result in chaos.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
"Intelligent Design?" my knees say *not*.
"Intelligent Design?" my back says *not*.

Grunff

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

You assume that the Webhoster would accept payment from you to continue the
registration and Nominet would accept the change of ownership.

Just to be clear, by "Webhoster", you mean domain host. We are in fact
the web host in this case.

In case of a problem, I would simply change the tag on the domain. This
is an automated process, there would be no opportunity/need for anyone
to accept/refuse anything.

IME all
Ts must be crossed and Is dotted, failure to do those result in chaos.

You have a lot of time on your hands, and little knowledge of domain
procedures. This conversation is over as far as I'm concerned.

--
Grunff
Phil Addison

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:56:43 +0100, in uk.d-i-y Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 09:20:16 +0100, Grunff wrote:

| Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| To be foolproof, You would also have to tell your webhoster that it is now
| jointly owned and change the Nominet registration to joint names.
|
| Really, really, really not necessary.

You assume that the Webhoster would accept payment from you to continue the
registration, and Nominet would accept the change of ownership. IME all
Ts must be crossed and Is dotted, failure to do those result in chaos.

You might well be right about Nominet, but in practice there is unlikely
to be a problem, and as has already been said would be automatically
resolved on domain expiry after 2 years max.

I agree with Grunff; this has gone on quite long enough over something
that is done voluntarily and self-funded.

Phil
The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/
Remove NOSPAM from address to email me
John Schmitt

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 13:25:19 +0100, Phil Addison
wrote:

It is not so much the space needed, which is only a couple of MB, but
the large bandwidth consumed by the FAQ that is the burden on the host
site. Average hits on the FAQ are around 110,000/month with 1.3GB/month
throughput.

I can easily believe that. My own FAQs seem to draw about 30,000/month.
Should things outgrow the server, I'll chip in to help pay for one. Sooner
or later, however, someone, somewhere, will be chucking out a server with
sufficient capacity for our relatively modest needs. Perhaps a little
wangling may mean that the UPS needs changing at the same time ;-)

John Schmitt

John Rumm

Michael Mcneil wrote:

Happy to continue hosting it for the foreseeable future, and will only
start to worry about bandwidth when it hits 6 gig/month.

I understand about Bandwidth pressure taking demands out of server
resources.

It is not so much the server resources that are the problem, but the
amount of data transferred. Ususally you will have a limit (or "transfer
budget") on the amount of data that you can send and receive to your
server - this is imposed by whoever is providing the connectivity to it.
The size of this budget varies greatly depending on the type and cost of
the arrangement.

The free web space provided with an ISP account, may be limited to say
100MB a day. To serve that amount would place practically no load on a
server - however in this case the ISP would typically be hosting
thousands of different web sites on the one server to make better use of
it.

If you rented your own dedicated server in a data centre owned by
Rackspace or One&One or Pipex etc, then your limit will depend on the
amount you are willing to pay. For a couple of grand a year you may be
able to get 100GB/month. Use more than this and you will be charged per
GB over.

I presume it is similar to trying to run XP on a 486 when demand is very
high.

The load on the server when it is only hosting a single site is more
likely to be govened by any web applications it is running. Just reading
files from disk and lobbing them down an ethernet connection does not
usually use that much CPU time. However for web sites that provide
dynamic content (i.e. a program running on the server will generate some
of the web pages on the fly) then you can start eating up CPU time as
these programs get more complex.

But I would appreciate a little more help on the mechanics. How do the
pieces fit for example?

Which pieces in particular?

For a web page to work there are two bits that need looking after: Name
resolution and hosting.

The name resolution is what turns your request for google.com or
diyfaq.org.uk into an IP address that your computer can use. For this to
work it has to consult a domain name server (DNS). Owners of domain name
servers will rent this facility to domain owners along with the domain
usually. (if you are a big enough orgainisation / tech savvy enough you
may also host your own DNS).

Once you computer knows where to go for the web site, it needs to talk
to a web server. The web server does not need to have any
(organisational) connection to the domain host, and will often be
provided by someone different.

The web server will hold a copy of your site (which you develop on your
own computer - and then transfer to the server usually via FTP). When
requests for pages come in from web users, the server gets them from its
local copy and sends them back. Each time clocking up some traffic which
counts toward your budget. Each item your computer requests something
like a page or a graphic image on it, the server counts this as a "hit".
Several hits are usually required to provide the whole page with all its
text and graphics to one user.

--
Cheers,

John.