Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:49:09 -0500, J T wrote:

http://209.193.28.16/Boats/Klondike/Klondike.htm

Just because you're missing some of it don't mean you can insult the place
where I live by comparing it to part of the intestinal tract!

Thanks JOAT. Interesting stuff. I have hiked the Chilkoot trail a number
of times. I've seen a bunch of rotting folding boats at the top of the
pass left there in 1898. The builders of this one wimped out by using
rough planks rather than pit-sawing them. Of course, if you've ever worked
the bottom of pit-saw, you might not blame them.

They seem to make a big deal out of people packing boilers & boats over
the pass (3,300 feet high, 35 miles from Dyea to Lake Bennett), but early
on during the winter, a tramline was built. You could sling goods up to
the top and other ones on the other side to Lake Bennett. So those with
the means did not need to pack their stuff on their backs.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email

J T

Default INTERESTING - Creating an Authentic Kolondike Gold Rush Boat

http://209.193.28.16/Boats/Klondike/Klondike.htm

JOAT
Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong.
- David Fasold