Autolycus

Default Propane blow lamps or torches

I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years
(the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been prone
to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

nightjar

"Autolycus" wrote in message
I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years (the
sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been prone to
flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

I've used the Calor version for a number of years and have nozzles that
allow me to do anything from small part soldering to paint stripping
outdoors in a wind. I find the type with canisters to be a very pale
imitation.

Colin Bignell

ben

Autolycus wrote:
I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years
(the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been
prone to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully
warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

How much is a bottle of gas for these?

Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:37:28 +0100, "Autolycus"
wrote:

I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years
(the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been prone
to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

I have a similar thing made by Primus-Sievert that I bought about 25
years ago. I have small and large burners for it for plumbing and a
fan shaped one for paint stripping. Works really well.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:14:24 GMT, "ben" wrote:

Autolycus wrote:
I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years
(the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been
prone to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully
warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

How much is a bottle of gas for these?

You can use the small Calor gas cylinders. A 4kg cylinder refill costs
about £10, so considerably cheaper than the little cartridges.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Tony1

A few years ago I found myself in the same situation having had several
blowlamps, none of which I'd been happy with. In the end I bought a
Primus-Sievert with piezo-electric ignition (MachineMart and Toolbank
sell them). It's much better than any of the others I've used and I'm
entiurely happy with it. Not had any problems with flaring either.
Well worth the money.

ben

Autolycus wrote:
I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the
years (the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have
been prone to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're
fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

How much is a bottle of gas for these?

You can use the small Calor gas cylinders. A 4kg cylinder refill costs
about £10, so considerably cheaper than the little cartridges.

How long do you reckon one of them would last paint stripping, give or take
10 minutes or a wild guess?

Bill

In message , Autolycus
writes
I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years
(the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been
prone to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully warmed
up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

I have the Calor equivalent that I bought about 8 years ago and it is
1000 times easier and safer to use than the canister style blow lamps.
No faring and fits into smaller spaces.

--
Bill
Andy Hall

Autolycus wrote:
I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the
years (the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have
been prone to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're
fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

Anyone tried one of these? Any good? Any similar recommendations?

How much is a bottle of gas for these?

You can use the small Calor gas cylinders. A 4kg cylinder refill costs
about £10, so considerably cheaper than the little cartridges.

How long do you reckon one of them would last paint stripping, give or take
10 minutes or a wild guess?

Have a look at http://www.sievert.se/en/pro86_88.htm

The consumption is very dependent on the burner, but the paint
stripping ones seem to be rated at around 200g/hr.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

The consumption is very dependent on the burner, but the paint
stripping ones seem to be rated at around 200g/hr.

So if my maths stand up, a 4kg cylinder would run for 20 hours? Wow! For a
£10? Wow again - that is really cheap.

I may well buy one!

Dave

ben

david lang wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

The consumption is very dependent on the burner, but the paint
stripping ones seem to be rated at around 200g/hr.

So if my maths stand up, a 4kg cylinder would run for 20 hours? Wow!
For a £10? Wow again - that is really cheap.

I may well buy one!

Dave

That'll do me nicely. :-)

Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:01:01 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

The consumption is very dependent on the burner, but the paint
stripping ones seem to be rated at around 200g/hr.

So if my maths stand up, a 4kg cylinder would run for 20 hours? Wow! For a
£10? Wow again - that is really cheap.

I may well buy one!

Dave

That is what it appears to be. I presume that one can simply divide
the rate into the cylinder refill weight, which is why the pressure is
mentioned.

I guess that one could also do a comparison with other LPG appliances
like a gas barbecue also running on propane by looking at kW figures.

I have never measured it in practice, although the time certainly is
long. At one point I did an entire CH installation and paint
stripping of all internal doors in a house, and there was still a lot
of gas left in a 4kg cylinder.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you would not want to have a
cylinder up a ladder......

Bear in mind that you do have to pay a cylinder deposit (IIRC also
about £8-10). Generally places that sell LPG for caravan and mobile
homes are a better bet than DIY stores and garden centres since they
sell more of it.

What I do nowadays is to keep three cylinders and simply cycle them
for torch and barbecue use. That way, I always have a full one.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:14:24 GMT, "ben" wrote:

How much is a bottle of gas for these?

£2.50+VAT

Go to your local dump and buy one. If you hunt around, you can usually
find some that are half-full. I buy all my propane this way and get
enough to run a gas forge, and to keep me in scrap empty cylinders for
making woodstoves.

david lang

Andy Hall wrote:

What I do nowadays is to keep three cylinders and simply cycle them
for torch and barbecue use. That way, I always have a full one.

I use a 15kg Butane on my BBQ, lasts for a bout 18 months and we BBQ quite a
lot.

Just looked a Calors site, some useful BBQ advice;

a.. Tongs are invaluable for turning awkward shaped meat
a.. Use a spatula to turn beef burgers and steaks.
a.. Keep all your barbecuing tools handy to make cooking an easier process.
a..
Good job I looked - never have thought of any of that myself :-)

Whats the practical difference between Butane & Propane?

Dave

Ian Stirling

david lang wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

What I do nowadays is to keep three cylinders and simply cycle them
for torch and barbecue use. That way, I always have a full one.

I use a 15kg Butane on my BBQ, lasts for a bout 18 months and we BBQ quite a
lot.

snip
Whats the practical difference between Butane & Propane?

Propane works when it's chilly, butane doesn't as it boils at about 0C.

.

I've used three butane blowlamps, mainly for pipework, over the years
(the sort that use disposable canisters) and all of them have been prone
to flaring when you tilt them too far before they're fully warmed up.

I see that Machine Mart do a "proper" torch (Clarke FCSF109)

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...7&r=2037&g=105

for £23.

In connection with this subject my son uses a Rothenberger piezo igniton
torch with the MAPP gas cylinder The torch is about £60 and new cylinder
about £12 in England.
He has been on holiday in Florida where he saw the torches at $30 and
cylinders in Walmart at $3.
--
..