Andy Hall

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 21:01:01 GMT, "david lang"
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

The consumption is very dependent on the burner, but the paint
stripping ones seem to be rated at around 200g/hr.

So if my maths stand up, a 4kg cylinder would run for 20 hours? Wow! For a
£10? Wow again - that is really cheap.

I may well buy one!

Dave

That is what it appears to be. I presume that one can simply divide
the rate into the cylinder refill weight, which is why the pressure is
mentioned.

I guess that one could also do a comparison with other LPG appliances
like a gas barbecue also running on propane by looking at kW figures.

I have never measured it in practice, although the time certainly is
long. At one point I did an entire CH installation and paint
stripping of all internal doors in a house, and there was still a lot
of gas left in a 4kg cylinder.

The only thing to bear in mind is that you would not want to have a
cylinder up a ladder......

Bear in mind that you do have to pay a cylinder deposit (IIRC also
about £8-10). Generally places that sell LPG for caravan and mobile
homes are a better bet than DIY stores and garden centres since they
sell more of it.

What I do nowadays is to keep three cylinders and simply cycle them
for torch and barbecue use. That way, I always have a full one.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl