Joe Agro

Default Propane for heat?

I'm considering a move to an area where propane is the only heat source
available and low-maintenance. Any suggestions / experience out there with
cost, etc?

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

1986 Jeep Commanche 4-sale - email me.

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Doug Miller

In article , "Joe Agro" joe @ yunx . com wrote:
I'm considering a move to an area where propane is the only heat source
available and low-maintenance. Any suggestions / experience out there with
cost, etc?

If the propane company owns the tank, you will pay a modest annual rental fee,
and have to buy your propane from that company. If you own the tank, you can
buy propane from whatever company will give you the best price and service.
Typically, you can get your propane a few cents a gallon cheaper if you own
the tank. It may or may not be worth it to buy the tank, depending on how long
you will live in the house, and how much propane you use. If you're buying an
existing home, the current propane supplier can tell you how much propane it
uses.

Fill the tank with cheap propane whenever you can. Prices are usually lowest
at the end of the summer. Consider getting a larger tank to take best
advantage of low prices when they happen.

Make sure your propane supplier has some means of predicting when you're going
to need propane, so that they bring it to you *before* you get close to
running out. When we had propane heat, our supplier used a spreadsheet based
on number and type of gas appliances, and heating-degree days. They never let
us run out, and only once in 13 years did the tank ever get below 10% full
(about 5 days supply for us).

You can connect a gas grill to your house propane supply, and never have to
worry about the grill running out of propane.

Final suggestion: crosspost your request for info to misc.rural also.

--
Regards,
CBHvac

Depending on where you are at, it might be a good idea..
However, we rip those out all the time and install heat pumps....

Cheaper to run here.

"Joe Agro" joe @ yunx . com wrote in message
I'm considering a move to an area where propane is the only heat source
available and low-maintenance. Any suggestions / experience out there

with
cost, etc?

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

1986 Jeep Commanche 4-sale - email me.

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Herman Munster

I have propane in my house and love it.
We have a 500 gal tank buried. On a budget we pay approx. $54 a month.
I have people at work who have heat pumps and they tend to pay much more
than
that. Everything in the house is gas; dryer, hwh, heat, stove. The gas
company has
us on a schedule, and have never even gotten close to running out. They
usually
come to top-off once a month in the winter and once in the summer.
Hope this helps.
HM

"Joe Agro" joe @ yunx . com wrote in message
I'm considering a move to an area where propane is the only heat source
available and low-maintenance. Any suggestions / experience out there

with
cost, etc?

Regards,
Joe - VROC #8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com - 973.571.1456 24/7

1986 Jeep Commanche 4-sale - email me.

Ask me about "The Ride" on July 31, '04:
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

donald girod

Propane in western New York is quite competitive with natural gas (sometimes
cheaper, mostly not). I have a 500gal tank and the company fills it on a
schedule. It is very painless and works fine. With our electric rates and
climate a heat pump would never come close. However, we burn wood, and my
92% efficient furnace runs about 50 hours a year. This is not what I
intended when I built the house, but whatever.