Set Square

JP wrote:

There's nothing like a Dyson owner in denial.
Famed for their open mindedness.

Interestingly, one of the things which Which? said was that Dyson owners,
despite reporting poor reliability, liked the thing and had a great sense of
loyalty towards it.

Seems to be true, despite what people say about Whitch?!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"JP" writes:

Read other NGs
the vast majoirty are dumped becuase they are sick and tired of repairing
the crap, at hugely inflated spare prices.

Well, we have 5 of them that I know of across the family.
The only breakage we ever had was due to me knocking a vice
off a workbench and it cracked the cuff on the end of the
hose when it landed on it, on a concrete floor. A phone call
to Dyson, and a free replacement hose arrived in the post.

My parents have an original DC01 - 12 years old this year, its had
half a dozen belts and recently the mains cable fatigued where it
enters the strain relief grommet - but apart from that its been
faultless.

The oldest we have is a DC02, probably around 10 years old (not
sure exactly). It hasn't needed any spare parts, so that may be
a design issue which was been fixed in newer models. One striking
thing I've noticed having used a number of models is how much
effort seems to go into improving them. Anything you might think
of as a usability issue always seems to be fixed in the next model.
They also get very much more powerful in cleaning ability as you
go to the newer models.

The most abused is a DC04. It's 5 years old and has only been
used for building work (plaster dust, brick and plaster rubble,
dust extract from woodworking tools, etc). It wasn't bought for
this purpose, but it was clearly so much better than the vacuum
cleaner which was, that it was effectively reassigned. This is
clearly much more abusive than the thing was designed for. The
issues with it are that the hose probably won't last much longer
(constant use with sharp pieces of brick wore through it and I
had to cut the end off and rejoin to the cuff), and the dust
collecting cylinder was sand-blasted on the inside the first
time it was used for brickdust, although that doesn't affect
operation. I was aware from the outset that the thing is more
fragile than some other vacuum cleaners, and have been careful
not to bash it around, drop it down the stairs, or similar.

Which reports on reliability are what their thousands and thousand of
subscribers tell them.
They are telling them repeatedly in each survey
Dyson pile of Sh!te

Actually, they report Dyson has best performance, but worst
reliability. Since we've not had any of the reliability problems
with any of our Dysons, we've just been left with the best
performance part, which is fine by me.

One thing I would say is the Dysons are overpriced. If you want
one, spend some time keeping an eye out for special offers. In
all cases except the first, I think we've managed to buy ours
for at least £100 off, either when a store is closing down,
or when a new model is coming out.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Jim Scott

"JP" wrote in
:

Miele's are tested to last 20 years.
e.g. The hose is tested 120, 000 times with a 5kg weight, telescopic
wand 10,000 times etc etc.

They are telling them repeatedly in each survey
Dyson pile of Sh!te
Miele the best

It will therefore please you to know I have ordered a Miele S571.

Be aware that if I had ordered it fram Argos it would have cost me £40
more than the best internet price. I suspect their prices will soar now
that Index has gorn.
--
Jim

Tyneside - North East of England
To email me directly omit the X from my address
S Viemeister

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Well, we have 5 of them that I know of across the family.

I can beat that by two! Mine is the DC01, still working beautifully. I've
used a number of other vacs through the years, and the Dyson has been more
effective, more reliable, and easier to use than any of the others. More
expensive, too, but I got mine on a special offer. I've never even needed
to replace the belt, although I purchased spares years ago, just to have on
hand.

Sheila