tenplay

Default Water-reservoir vacuum cleaner

When I was a child, our family had a very effective vacuum cleaner that
collected the dirt/dust in a large water reservoir. We filled the water
reservoir with clean water when we started and dumped out the thick dark
water when we were done. It was an effective way to vacuum without the
air getting dusty. I haven't seen such a vacuum cleaner in many years.
Does anyone know of such a product that is available today? Thanks.

Joseph Meehan

tenplay wrote:
When I was a child, our family had a very effective vacuum cleaner
that collected the dirt/dust in a large water reservoir. We filled
the water reservoir with clean water when we started and dumped out
the thick dark water when we were done. It was an effective way to
vacuum without the air getting dusty. I haven't seen such a vacuum
cleaner in many years. Does anyone know of such a product that is
available today? Thanks.

That likely was and is the Rainbow.

It is not available in stores (or at least was not).

I was high quality, worked well. It also was way over priced, and
awkward as well as heavy.

It did a good job of trapping dust, but you had to empty the water after
each use.

I would suggest taking a look at some of the HEPA filter dry machines on
the market today. A read of the last Consumer Reports Magazine review would
also be a good idea. You local library should have a copy.

I was considering one before I got my central system. When I fist
called them about 15 years ago they wanted $575 for it. After about a dozen
phone calls from them they got down to offering me the same one for $150.
If they had done that on the first call I likely would have bought it. I am
glad they did not, I like the central system far better. (yea I had the
opportunity to use a Rainbow quite a few times.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Noozer

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
tenplay wrote:
[...]

If using water is a good way to trap the dirt/dust from vacuuming, wouldn't
it make a good system on a central vac?

Steve B.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:20:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

If using water is a good way to trap the dirt/dust from vacuuming, wouldn't
it make a good system on a central vac?

Not really since the vaccum motor is outside. If it blows a little
extra dust around the yard who's gonna notice?

Steve B.

Ashton Crusher

tenplay wrote:
[...]

CU tested a Rainbow along with several others quite a few years back
and it was definitely NOT one of the best for cleaning nor was the
exhaust all that dust free. A HEPA or similar system would be much
better and a whole lot less trouble.
G Henslee

Ashton Crusher wrote:

CU tested a Rainbow along with several others quite a few years back
and it was definitely NOT one of the best for cleaning nor was the
exhaust all that dust free. A HEPA or similar system would be much
better and a whole lot less trouble.

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 03:20:38 GMT, "Noozer" wrote:

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...

tenplay wrote:

[...]

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
I need a little advice on running waterlines in an uninsulated crawlspace ozark Home Repair 12 January 29th 04 05:23 AM
Kenmore (Sears) Water Softener Cleaner -- How often? L. Dwynn Lafleur Home Repair 4 January 25th 04 07:28 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM