Default What are gas prices in Britian?

Here in the U.S. people are saying "don't feel bad, gas is $5.60 in
Britian" However you guys don't use the american "Dollar" in Britian
you use "Pounds" So how can this statement be true. The British dollar
is worth almost twice as much as the American Dollar. Here are my
questions:
What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?
How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?
How many miles per gallon does you average car get.
Please respond.

Dave

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here in the U.S. people are saying "don't feel bad, gas is $5.60 in
Britian" However you guys don't use the american "Dollar" in Britian
you use "Pounds" So how can this statement be true. The British dollar
is worth almost twice as much as the American Dollar. Here are my
questions:
What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?
How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?
How many miles per gallon does you average car get.
Please respond.

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Dave
wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps

Our responses we put at the bottom.

AJL
Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:17:36 +0000 (UTC), "Dave"
wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk
show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the
US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Mr Fizzion

wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk
show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the
US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

Given that Americans laugh at Jay Leno (I heard them, they really
do!), did they actually find John Cleese's comments amusing?

Mr F.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk
show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the
US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

Given that Americans laugh at Jay Leno (I heard them, they really
do!), did they actually find John Cleese's comments amusing?

Probably didn't understand....

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ocidental

wrote:

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

This dates back to the Clinton era right?

Not exactly faulty towers.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 18 Aug 2005, wrote

Here in the U.S. people are saying "don't feel bad, gas is $5.60
in Britian" However you guys don't use the american "Dollar" in
Britian you use "Pounds" So how can this statement be true. The
British dollar is worth almost twice as much as the American
Dollar. Here are my questions:
What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?

Last time I filled up -- a couple of days ago -- 91.9 pence per litre.

That translates to GBP 3.47 per US gallon, which at the current
exchange rate is USD 6.22 per galllon.

How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?

As much as will fit in the tank...

How many miles per gallon does you average car get.

I have an older car which gets 32 mpg town/40 mpg motorway -- that's
"miles per Imperial gallon", though.

HTH

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Christian McArdle

What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?
How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?
How many miles per gallon does you average car get.

This is reasonably complicated, as a US gallon is not a UK gallon and we use
litres anyway.

However, I'll take a typical price of 91.9p/l. for 95 octane unleaded
(octanes are not directly comparable with US). This is the most common
petrol. Gas over here means LPG (butane/propane mix) and is much cheaper.

That makes 3.48 GBP per US gallon. At an exchange rate of 1.80, this gives
6.26USD per US gallon.

UK miles per gallon figures will be in Imperial gallons, so not directly
comparable. They are extremely variable. A typical "median average" car that
might get driven here (much smaller than a typical US car) might be a 1.6
Ford Focus, which gets a combined urban/extra urban mileage 42.2mpg. A US
gallon is 5/6th an Imperial one, giving 35.2 mpg(US).

Christian.

Bobby Bewl

wrote in message

How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?

Here in the true blue, C(c)onseratvie, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent (south
east England - for you peasants) I am paying 89.9p or 90.9p per litre. I
will leave you lot to work out what that is in the states or States.

How many miles per gallon does you average car get.

My car, a Ford Focus CL, (I am not proud, nor posh) 1400 cc, 3 years old is
currently doing 45.04 miles per gallon (British gallons) doing both urban
and motorway driving. This based on an average of 12 fill ups from 16 June
2005 to the last fill up, 12 August 2005.

Motorway mpg is:
46.40 - 5 August; and
46.77 - 6 August.

Urban mpg is:
42.80 - 16 June; and
43.48 - 3 Jul.

Petrol in the UK is said to be one of the highest in Europe due to taxation
and higher company profits.

If you are taking into account the cost of driving in the UK, you will need
to consider a further car tax called "Road Tax" offically called "Vehicle
Excise Duty". For a car it used to be based on the size of the engine
either £110 or £170 per year. Now it based on CO2 emission - my car it
costs £125 per year.

In order to buy for road tax you need to produce an car insurance
certificate and MOT certificate - the latter is obtain after an annual
inspection of the vehicle for mechancial and other things - at a Post
Office..

If the government computer shows that you have not brought road tax the fine
is automatic after a certain number of days.

On the bright side of motoring, there are very few tolls in the UK. For me
to get out of Kent and into Essex the toll is £1 and another £1 to come
home. To get into Wales (another country with its own language, where Tom
Jones and Catherine Zeta-Jones comes from) it costs £4.80. It costs nothing
to come home from Wales, although I would pay to come out bearing my recent
visit to that dive of a place Newport, with boarded up, closed shops and
wire mesh over the ones that were open and drugged to the eyeballs, youths
of many colours and menacing looks.

Here are some links:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/petrol-prices.php

http://tinyurl.co.uk/5rcp

Hope this helps.

Bobby

OT Gas prices Muff Home Repair 18 May 1st 05 09:01 PM
Why did Grizzly raise their prices? Bob Woodworking 62 January 8th 05 03:20 PM
Oneway raises prices wrz0170 Woodturning 6 December 15th 04 07:43 PM
British Gas (new prices for gas and electricity) ARWadsworth UK diy 5 November 26th 04 08:15 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM