Default What are gas prices in Britian?

Here in the U.S. people are saying "don't feel bad, gas is $5.60 in
Britian" However you guys don't use the american "Dollar" in Britian
you use "Pounds" So how can this statement be true. The British dollar
is worth almost twice as much as the American Dollar. Here are my
questions:
What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?
How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?
How many miles per gallon does you average car get.
Please respond.

Dave

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

wrote in message
oups.com...
Here in the U.S. people are saying "don't feel bad, gas is $5.60 in
Britian" However you guys don't use the american "Dollar" in Britian
you use "Pounds" So how can this statement be true. The British dollar
is worth almost twice as much as the American Dollar. Here are my
questions:
What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?
How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?
How many miles per gallon does you average car get.
Please respond.

Harvey Van Sickle

On 18 Aug 2005, wrote

Here in the U.S. people are saying "don't feel bad, gas is $5.60
in Britian" However you guys don't use the american "Dollar" in
Britian you use "Pounds" So how can this statement be true. The
British dollar is worth almost twice as much as the American
Dollar. Here are my questions:
What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?

Last time I filled up -- a couple of days ago -- 91.9 pence per litre.

That translates to GBP 3.47 per US gallon, which at the current
exchange rate is USD 6.22 per galllon.

How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?

As much as will fit in the tank...

How many miles per gallon does you average car get.

I have an older car which gets 32 mpg town/40 mpg motorway -- that's
"miles per Imperial gallon", though.

HTH

--
Cheers,
Harvey

Alex

dave wrote:
I'm in a bit of a rush so will leave it so someone else to give you the figures
- but just so's you know, our government TAX the actual price we pay for petrol
at the pump at something like 80% I think (maybe more)!!!!! It's a form of
"voluntary extortion". The income they get from it helps fund their incompetence
in many areas - like the "free" Health Service for example.

How could the NHS possibly be paid for without taxes?

alex

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer
Christian McArdle

What is the exact cost of gas at the pumps in Great Britian in the
English "Pound"?
How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?
How many miles per gallon does you average car get.

This is reasonably complicated, as a US gallon is not a UK gallon and we use
litres anyway.

However, I'll take a typical price of 91.9p/l. for 95 octane unleaded
(octanes are not directly comparable with US). This is the most common
petrol. Gas over here means LPG (butane/propane mix) and is much cheaper.

That makes 3.48 GBP per US gallon. At an exchange rate of 1.80, this gives
6.26USD per US gallon.

UK miles per gallon figures will be in Imperial gallons, so not directly
comparable. They are extremely variable. A typical "median average" car that
might get driven here (much smaller than a typical US car) might be a 1.6
Ford Focus, which gets a combined urban/extra urban mileage 42.2mpg. A US
gallon is 5/6th an Imperial one, giving 35.2 mpg(US).

Christian.

Alex wrote:
dave wrote:
I'm in a bit of a rush so will leave it so someone else to give you the figures
- but just so's you know, our government TAX the actual price we pay for petrol
at the pump at something like 80% I think (maybe more)!!!!! It's a form of
"voluntary extortion". The income they get from it helps fund their incompetence
in many areas - like the "free" Health Service for example.

How could the NHS possibly be paid for without taxes?

Indeed. I often wonder about the mentality of people who protest about
fuel duty. Even if it were halved overnight we'd just end up paying
more VAT or income tax or... You can bet your life the change would not
be revenue neutral and we would end up paying more overall.

MBQ

Harvey Van Sickle

On 18 Aug 2005, dave wrote

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:24:30 +0100, "Rob Convery"
wrote:

£1/L = £3. 7/US gallon = $6.29/US Gallon

(but a lot of that is taxes)

Which we still have to pay of course! One could try offering to
buy it without paying tax at only $1,25/USg but sellers tend to
reject this offer with charming Olde Worlde English expressions.

Do all the UK posters who are saying "£1/litre" live in central London,
or is Hampshire unique in paying around 10p/litre less than that?

I just checked a receipt, and I paid 90.9 p/litre last Monday at Tesco.
Even the extortionate BP station near us hasn't pushed its luck past
93.9p -- yet.

--
Cheers,
Harvey

dave wrote:
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:32:34 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

They are extremely variable. A typical "median average" car that
might get driven here (much smaller than a typical US car) might be a 1.6
Ford Focus, which gets a combined urban/extra urban mileage 42.2mpg. A US
gallon is 5/6th an Imperial one, giving 35.2 mpg(US).

Christian.

OT Also we are seeing many more large vehicles on the roads now though. SUV's
with associated high fuel consumption (yes I know -relatively- it doesn't look
that bad - but -absolute- fuel consumtion is what gets used). The government
are doing nothing about raising the tax on such large behicles (a vehicle tax
they *should* increase imho).

Why? They consume more petrol so they pay more fuel duty.

MBQ

Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , Dave
wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps

Our responses we put at the bottom.

AJL
Christian McArdle

Why? They consume more petrol so they pay more fuel duty.

To discourage use. The idea is that people owning such vehicles are usually
quite rich, able to pay the tax without hardship and are thus,
insufficiently motivated to choose a more suitable vehicle. Unfortunately,
it would probably be a pretty blunt and ineffective instrument, only really
hurting those who actually need such a vehicle.

Christian.

Richard Conway

dave wrote:
OT Also we are seeing many more large vehicles on the roads now though. SUV's
with associated high fuel consumption (yes I know -relatively- it doesn't look
that bad - but -absolute- fuel consumtion is what gets used). The government
are doing nothing about raising the tax on such large behicles (a vehicle tax
they *should* increase imho).

As is already the case with road tax

Christian McArdle wrote:
Why? They consume more petrol so they pay more fuel duty.

To discourage use.

My point exactly, the more you use it the more fuel duty you pay.

The idea is that people owning such vehicles are usually
quite rich, able to pay the tax without hardship and are thus,
insufficiently motivated to choose a more suitable vehicle. Unfortunately,
it would probably be a pretty blunt and ineffective instrument, only really
hurting those who actually need such a vehicle.

I hate the things and suspect very few people actually *need* such a
vehicle. I'm thinking chelsea tractors here, not the tradesman in his
ordinary pick-up.

MBQ

Christian McArdle

To discourage use. The idea is that people owning such vehicles
are usually quite rich, able to pay the tax without hardship and
are thus, insufficiently motivated to choose a more suitable vehicle.

Have you been a bigot and a snob all your life, or did you come to it
recently?

No, I just have an interest in reducing CO2 emissions. I have no issue
whatsoever with someone having the means to pay the taxes (indeed, I'd love
to join them!), I just lament the fact that this reduces the effectiveness
of the deterrent effect, increasing CO2 emissions, which may lead to
environmental damage. Indeed, I'd prefer a "plant a tree" scheme. They can
then drive their Chelsea tractors all they like, provided they plant enough
trees.

Christian.

Bobby Bewl

wrote in message

How much gas do you get for the standard pump price?

Here in the true blue, C(c)onseratvie, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent (south
east England - for you peasants) I am paying 89.9p or 90.9p per litre. I
will leave you lot to work out what that is in the states or States.

How many miles per gallon does you average car get.

My car, a Ford Focus CL, (I am not proud, nor posh) 1400 cc, 3 years old is
currently doing 45.04 miles per gallon (British gallons) doing both urban
and motorway driving. This based on an average of 12 fill ups from 16 June
2005 to the last fill up, 12 August 2005.

Motorway mpg is:
46.40 - 5 August; and
46.77 - 6 August.

Urban mpg is:
42.80 - 16 June; and
43.48 - 3 Jul.

Petrol in the UK is said to be one of the highest in Europe due to taxation
and higher company profits.

If you are taking into account the cost of driving in the UK, you will need
to consider a further car tax called "Road Tax" offically called "Vehicle
Excise Duty". For a car it used to be based on the size of the engine
either £110 or £170 per year. Now it based on CO2 emission - my car it
costs £125 per year.

In order to buy for road tax you need to produce an car insurance
certificate and MOT certificate - the latter is obtain after an annual
inspection of the vehicle for mechancial and other things - at a Post
Office..

If the government computer shows that you have not brought road tax the fine
is automatic after a certain number of days.

On the bright side of motoring, there are very few tolls in the UK. For me
to get out of Kent and into Essex the toll is £1 and another £1 to come
home. To get into Wales (another country with its own language, where Tom
Jones and Catherine Zeta-Jones comes from) it costs £4.80. It costs nothing
to come home from Wales, although I would pay to come out bearing my recent
visit to that dive of a place Newport, with boarded up, closed shops and
wire mesh over the ones that were open and drugged to the eyeballs, youths
of many colours and menacing looks.

Here are some links:

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/petrol-prices.php

http://tinyurl.co.uk/5rcp

Hope this helps.

Bobby

Capitol

Huge wrote:
I think we should tax people who attend televised football matches.

Yes, I could go for that! I think we need the US tax system, where in
some states, taxes can only be increased by a vote of the electorate. It
certainly concentrates the politicians minds. Anyway on the 4 x 4
question, it doesn't take much to bring out the opinion and envy
brigade, telling other people how to live their lives. If you don't like
the congestion and local pollution, move!

Regards
Capitol
Dave Liquorice

On 18 Aug 2005 17:03:05 GMT, Huge wrote:

Let's tax all people who attend football matches to pay for the
vast cost of extra policing.

I believe the clubs already pay.

AFAIK only for the policing in the ground. That outside comes from
that counties council tax payers.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Geoffrey

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:27:16 +0100, Alex
wrote:

dave wrote:
I'm in a bit of a rush so will leave it so someone else to give you the figures
- but just so's you know, our government TAX the actual price we pay for petrol
at the pump at something like 80% I think (maybe more)!!!!! It's a form of
"voluntary extortion". The income they get from it helps fund their incompetence
in many areas - like the "free" Health Service for example.

How could the NHS possibly be paid for without taxes?

The NHS is paid for by the tax on tobacco isn't it?

--
Warning: Do not look directly into laser with remaining eye.
Capitol

Geoffrey wrote:

The NHS is paid for by the tax on tobacco isn't it?

Probably! The tax on petrol pays for the politicians.

Regards
Capitol
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 16:48:27 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Why? They consume more petrol so they pay more fuel duty.

To discourage use. The idea is that people owning such vehicles are usually
quite rich, able to pay the tax without hardship and are thus,
insufficiently motivated to choose a more suitable vehicle.

So why not have a sliding scale of motoring fines, dependant on the
size of your vehicle and therefore your ability to pay?

Shoot a red light in your mini=£30 fine

Do the same in a Landrover=£200 fine

sponix

Capitol

--s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:

But tax on fuel penalises drivers. Why not increase the tax on
earnings or VAT? That would be fairer as more people would pay it.

Don't confuse Tony & co with the facts! The high fuel duties are
particularly hard on hard working low income families living in rural
areas with lower wages, however, these people don't vote for Nu Labur,
so are of no significance!

Regards
Capitol
Bobby Bewl

wrote:

Why? They consume more petrol so they pay more fuel duty.

To discourage use. The idea is that people owning such vehicles are
usually
quite rich, able to pay the tax without hardship and are thus,
insufficiently motivated to choose a more suitable vehicle.

So why not have a sliding scale of motoring fines, dependant on the
size of your vehicle and therefore your ability to pay?

Shoot a red light in your mini=£30 fine

Do the same in a Landrover=£200 fine

Shoot a red light=pat on the back from Lord Longford

Bobby

Capitol

--s-p-o-n-i-x-- wrote:
So why not have a sliding scale of motoring fines, dependant on the
size of your vehicle and therefore your ability to pay?

AIUI, this is already happening. However, if you are unemployable and
in the black economy or a permanent migrant, you can run a 4 x 4 and not
pay any fines, as it's more expensive to find and jail you, than to
just turn a blind eye! I believe that in the cities, cloned number
plates are already present in significant numbers, but no one is
admitting it publicly.

Regards
Capitol

Regards
Capitol
Andy Hall

On 18 Aug 2005 20:21:27 GMT, (Huge) wrote:

"zaax" writes:
Huge wrote:

writes:

Alex wrote:
dave wrote:
I'm in a bit of a rush so will leave it so someone else to give
you the figures - but just so's you know, our government TAX the
actual price we pay for petrol at the pump at something like 80%
I think (maybe more)!!!!! It's a form of "voluntary extortion".
The income they get from it helps fund their incompetence in
many areas - like the "free" Health Service for example.

How could the NHS possibly be paid for without taxes?

Indeed. I often wonder about the mentality of people who protest
about fuel duty. Even if it were halved overnight we'd just end up
paying more VAT or income tax or... You can bet your life the
change would not be revenue neutral and we would end up paying more
overall.

I often wonder about the mentality of people who think that the only
way of paying for things is to confiscate the possessions of those
who can be bothered to work for a living.

If you want to pay for the NHS, you go right ahead, but you wanting
me to pay for the NHS is extortion.

so, when your medication is ?10,000 a course will you pay for it? Or
will you pay for your hip operation at ?5000-10000?

Nope. The insurance that I provide for myself out of taxed income will
pay for it.

It's actually far worse than that Huge.

If you are employed and the insurance is part of your remuneration
package, then you will pay income tax on it as a benefit in kind. If
you are not already at the employee's NIC limit, then there is NIC as
well. The employer pays NIC anyway. Then there is insurance premium
tax.

If one does make one's own arrangements like this and in effect
unburdens the NHS of the cost of treating the patient, one is taxed
extra on it. Muddled thinking. There should be tax relief on
private healthcare premiums not a tax penalty

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Andy Hall

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:17:36 +0000 (UTC), "Dave"
wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk
show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the
US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Owain

Christian McArdle wrote:
Why? They consume more petrol so they pay more fuel duty.

To discourage use.

And fuel duty, rather than a vehicle tax, is a better way of
discouraging *use*. Vehicle tax discourages ownership. (To the extent
that either tax modifies behaviour.)

Owain

Mr Fizzion

wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk
show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the
US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

Given that Americans laugh at Jay Leno (I heard them, they really
do!), did they actually find John Cleese's comments amusing?

Mr F.

Mr Fizzion

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 22:08:26 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

The high fuel duties are
particularly hard on hard working low income families living in rural
areas with lower wages, however, these people don't vote for Nu Labur,

They don't?

Mr F.

Andy Hall

wrote:

Our gas comes through pipes in the ground! Our Petrol we buy at the pumps
:-) Two nations divided by a common language!
Our Petrol is approx 90pence to £1 per litre

Some while ago, John Cleese was interviewed on the U.S. Jay Leno talk
show. He was asked what he saw as different between the UK and the
US. He replied:

- We speak English; you don't.

- When we hold a world series we remember to invite other countries.

- We go down on one knee when we greet our leader.

Given that Americans laugh at Jay Leno (I heard them, they really
do!), did they actually find John Cleese's comments amusing?

Probably didn't understand....

OT Gas prices Muff Home Repair 18 May 1st 05 09:01 PM
Why did Grizzly raise their prices? Bob Woodworking 62 January 8th 05 03:20 PM
Oneway raises prices wrz0170 Woodturning 6 December 15th 04 07:43 PM
British Gas (new prices for gas and electricity) ARWadsworth UK diy 5 November 26th 04 08:15 PM
Speedfit technique Arthur UK diy 615 November 23rd 04 11:50 PM