Timothy Murphy

Default Suspending mirror from ceiling

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Andy Hall

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 18:19:45 +0100, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is
normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
ben

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

Why would you want to hang it from the ceiling, of all places? or are you
kinky.

Owain

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Yeah right, you're just a lazy so-and-so who wants to shave lying down
in the bath.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

I think I'd use plastic mirror or heatshrink mirror film. If a
bath-sized glass mirror descended from the ceiling unexpectedly, seven
years' bad luck might not be the most immediate of your worries.

Owain

Owain

Andy Hall wrote:
Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is
normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

I've often wondered what goes on in that sort of establishment.

Owain

Frank Erskine

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 19:53:09 +0100, Owain
wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Yeah right, you're just a lazy so-and-so who wants to shave lying down
in the bath.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

I think I'd use plastic mirror or heatshrink mirror film. If a
bath-sized glass mirror descended from the ceiling unexpectedly, seven
years' bad luck might not be the most immediate of your worries.

I think the OP suggests hanging the mirror vertically from the ceiling
rather than fixing it flat on the ceiling :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Owain

Frank Erskine wrote:
I think I'd use plastic mirror or heatshrink mirror film. If a
bath-sized glass mirror descended from the ceiling unexpectedly, seven
years' bad luck might not be the most immediate of your worries.

I think the OP suggests hanging the mirror vertically from the ceiling
rather than fixing it flat on the ceiling :-)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhh.

That's not so much fun.

Cable display system as used in estate agents offices then.

Owain

Andy Hall

wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Yeah right, you're just a lazy so-and-so who wants to shave lying down
in the bath.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

I think I'd use plastic mirror or heatshrink mirror film. If a
bath-sized glass mirror descended from the ceiling unexpectedly, seven
years' bad luck might not be the most immediate of your worries.

I think the OP suggests hanging the mirror vertically from the ceiling
rather than fixing it flat on the ceiling :-)

I know. It was just too tempting an opportunity to pass up.

In fact I have seen a mirror suspended vertically on wires and it does
look quite effective. The only problem is that if you touch the
thing, it will swing around for ages.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Ian Stirling

wrote:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Yeah right, you're just a lazy so-and-so who wants to shave lying down
in the bath.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

I think the OP suggests hanging the mirror vertically from the ceiling
rather than fixing it flat on the ceiling :-)

In fact I have seen a mirror suspended vertically on wires and it does
look quite effective. The only problem is that if you touch the
thing, it will swing around for ages.

If done right, maybe not.
If you suspend from two wires, it's going to swing like hell.
Attach to four wires, two on each top corner, with a decent angle
between them, and it can almost only swing back and forward from the front.
Add a fifth wire, to the bottom, and a weight on the back to ensure this
stays in tension, and it should be almost still.
On the downside, it now looks like a chrome spider has been let loose in the
bathroom.

Mike Hibbert

Owain wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is
normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

I've often wondered what goes on in that sort of establishment.

Wow - you need a shot of imagination ;o)
Timothy Murphy

ben wrote:

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

Why would you want to hang it from the ceiling, of all places? or are you
kinky.

(1) Because the wall is tiled from floor to ceiling.
It's been done (by a tiler, not me) exceptionally well,
and I'd prefer not to "spoil" it by drilling.

On the other hand, the light/plastic mirrors I've seen
are all rather tacky, IMHO.

However, the responses here have convinced me
that suspension may not be a good idea.

(2) Aren't we all.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366
Paul Andrews

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
ben wrote:

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

Why would you want to hang it from the ceiling, of all places? or are

you
kinky.

(1) Because the wall is tiled from floor to ceiling.

You'll get a stiff neck shaving...

raden

In message , Mike
Hibbert writes
Owain wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is
normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

I've often wondered what goes on in that sort of establishment.

Wow - you need a shot of imagination ;o)

They live a sheltered life north of the border

--
geoff
Dave

wrote:

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror

from the wooden ceiling,

so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is
normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

Are you willing to expand on your experience Andy?

Dave

Dave

ben wrote:

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror

from the wooden ceiling,
so as not to spoil the tiling which was recently done.

Is that practicable?
Has anyone ever seen this done?

Why would you want to hang it from the ceiling, of all places? or are

you

kinky.

(1) Because the wall is tiled from floor to ceiling.

You'll get a stiff neck shaving...

It will make shaving other areas easier then ;-)

Dave
Owain

Dave wrote:
Only in hotels where you pay by the hour, but then the mirror is
normally larger than a bathroom sized one......

Are you willing to expand on your experience Andy?

Would have been a waste of money if he hadn't expanded on the experience ;-)

Owain

Andy Dingley

wrote:

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror
from the wooden ceiling,

Yes, dead easy. It's even better if you suspend it from floor and
ceiling, on taut stainless steel cables. That way you can get a rigid
mounting.

Cable rigging kit is dead common these days, but still horribly
expensive for the fittings. Shopfitting suppliers are often better
priced.
David Lang

I am thinking of suspending a bathroom mirror

from the wooden ceiling,

Yes, dead easy. It's even better if you suspend it from floor and

ceiling, on taut stainless steel cables. That way you can get a rigid
mounting.

Suspending a mirror from the ceiling and geting a rigid mounting naturally
follow each other surely?

Dave