Default Convera Sockets in Skirting Boards?

I've moved into a new house & need some electrical work done, including
changing some single sockets in skirting boards to doubles.

I've had two electricians round. One said that he thought that
regulations now permitted sockets in skirting boards (after banning
them for a period) and that he'd recommend installing new double
sockets & boxes in the skirting boards.

The other said that it was contrary to regs and he couldn't do anything
to the sockets in the skirting boards, but suggested that a perfectly
reasonable thing for me to do would be to fit Converta sockets to them
(in fact he said that he'd supply them for me).

My questions are - are Converta sockets fairly standard, creditable
things to use or something that only a bodger would touch.

Also is it OK to have them in skirting boards - both in terms of regs
and in terms of what's sensible (not always the same thing).

Michael

Lobster

The other said that it was contrary to regs and he couldn't do anything
to the sockets in the skirting boards, but suggested that a perfectly
reasonable thing for me to do would be to fit Converta sockets to them
(in fact he said that he'd supply them for me).

I've never used them (or even seen them!) so I'll let others comment on
that. They are very widely available though, so presumably are kosher.

Do you mean the electrician will supply them for you to fit? Don't do
that, you'll be able to get them far cheaper yourself directly. Eg, item
88126 at
www.toolstation.com. (they also do a 1 - 3 version as well
as the 1 - 2, by the way.

Also is it OK to have them in skirting boards - both in terms of regs
and in terms of what's sensible (not always the same thing).

Personally I can't be doing with sockets in skirting boards. They sit
proud of the wall and are likely to get damaged, and/or (eg) prevent
furniture from going back against the skirting board. It wouldn't be
allowed in a new installation because they need to be 450mm off the
floor (for disabled people) but that doesn't apply to you; I don't know
what other rules there may be about skirting boards per se. But I can't
see why it would be any better or worse than it is now if you go ahead
and fit Convertas.

David
Capitol

Bear in mind, that Converta sockets are fused at 13A for the total

Regards
Capitol
Sparks

The regs don't ban sockets on skirting boards.
They require them to be positioned such that flex entry
to the plugs isn't strained, which would rule out fitting
on some skirting boards (unless installed upside down;-).

Other than looking a bit odd, would this be allowed!?

Nick Atty

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 23:20:36 +0100, Capitol
wrote:

Bear in mind, that Converta sockets are fused at 13A for the total

You sure about that? A while ago I temporarily converted a single to a
double (when I redecorated I sunk it properly) with something that was a
plastic box with a metal backplate. It screwed onto the box in place of
the single socket, then you wired a double into it.

Aren't Convertas just like that - a frame to allow you to put a 2 or 3
surface mounted over a single flush box?
--
On-line canal route planner: http://www.canalplan.org.uk

(Waterways World site of the month, April 2001)
Capitol

wrote:

Bear in mind, that Converta sockets are fused at 13A for the total

You sure about that? A while ago I temporarily converted a single to a
double (when I redecorated I sunk it properly) with something that was a
plastic box with a metal backplate. It screwed onto the box in place of
the single socket, then you wired a double into it.

Aren't Convertas just like that - a frame to allow you to put a 2 or 3
surface mounted over a single flush box?

If I've understood what your electricians proposed correctly, then, no.
Converta sockets fit directly into the existing wall box and are
available as 2 way and 3 way but have their own 13A fuses, the same as a
good 4 x 13A extension block. See Toolstation 89978.

Regards
Capitol

Easy way to cover old skirting boards with new ones? Mark Home Repair 1 February 28th 05 12:37 PM
Painting skirting boards near laminate floors [email protected] UK diy 2 January 11th 05 10:39 AM
skirting boards andrewpreece UK diy 9 October 21st 04 12:05 PM
removing skirting boards Roger Mills UK diy 3 August 4th 03 04:42 PM
Moving Electric Sockets from skirting to wall Chris Oates UK diy 12 July 11th 03 11:33 PM