chris French

In message .com,
writes
I've moved into a new house & need some electrical work done, including
changing some single sockets in skirting boards to doubles.

I've had two electricians round. One said that he thought that
regulations now permitted sockets in skirting boards

I'm pretty sure he is wrong, but I'd steer clear of anyone who called
themselves an electrician and 'thought' something. His job is to know.

The other said that it was contrary to regs and he couldn't do anything
to the sockets in the skirting boards,

Fair enough.

but suggested that a perfectly
reasonable thing for me to do would be to fit Converta sockets to them
(in fact he said that he'd supply them for me).

My questions are - are Converta sockets fairly standard, creditable
things to use or something that only a bodger would touch.

I've used them where I didn't want to disprupt things. They are fine,
just bit more unsightly as they sit more proud of the surface.

Also is it OK to have them in skirting boards - both in terms of regs
and in terms of what's sensible (not always the same thing).

Not ok to fit new sockets there AIUI, but fine to fit replacement
sockets faceplates. I don't like them - they get in the way, can put a
strain on flexes exiting plugs, and are ugly, but in this situation I
would consider fitting the converta sockets for now and then put in some
new sockets mounted up in the wall when I redecorated the room.
--
Chris French