RichardS

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Mr Fizzion
wrote:
I found this one:

Not cheap and probably wouldn't manage 25mm through a joist.

[Bosch GWB7.2VE 7.2V Angled Drill / Driver: £94.99]

I would have thought that this is precisely what it's meant to do,
though you're right that it does say drilling capacity in timber 15mm.

Depending on the sort of bit you are using, can you shorten the shank
so it's just long enough to get through the joist and no more?

Wandered down to D&M's a couple of weeks ago - noticed that they're selling
a 9.6v Makita angle drill body only for about £80 inc. VAT.

Batteries bump the cost up dramatically, of course, but if anyone happened
to have other 9.6v Mak stuff then it makes it a rather more attractive buy-
it's apparently compatible with recent(ish) 9.6v mak system batteries.

--

Richard Sampson

mail me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Andy Hall

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:16:57 +0100, "RichardS"
wrote:

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
In article , Mr Fizzion
wrote:
I found this one:

Not cheap and probably wouldn't manage 25mm through a joist.

[Bosch GWB7.2VE 7.2V Angled Drill / Driver: £94.99]

I would have thought that this is precisely what it's meant to do,
though you're right that it does say drilling capacity in timber 15mm.

Depending on the sort of bit you are using, can you shorten the shank
so it's just long enough to get through the joist and no more?

Wandered down to D&M's a couple of weeks ago - noticed that they're selling
a 9.6v Makita angle drill body only for about £80 inc. VAT.

Batteries bump the cost up dramatically, of course, but if anyone happened
to have other 9.6v Mak stuff then it makes it a rather more attractive buy-
it's apparently compatible with recent(ish) 9.6v mak system batteries.

Yes they are. In fact there is also a 12v version.

More recent of the 14.4v and above chargers will happily charge 9.6
and 12v packs as well. There are extra contacts on the pack for this
- for sensors I assume.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"Roger R" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

B&Q sell this angle drill under the PP Pro brand for £50
http://tinyurl.com/2qp66

I bought one of these for holes in joists and it was fine for

D-I-Y
use. The drill came in blow moulded case with a set of blade type
wood bits of various sizes, but more importantly with very short
shanks. 500 watts is not too powerful but ok for 1 inch holes in
wood if taken at steady pace, with breaks.

However I bought mine for half price when B&Q finished the range.

So
I don't think they are available anymore but I'm willing to be
corrected on that.

The drill appears top be designed for ordinary use too. Is it easy

to use
as normal drill?

Apart from not having a side handle for steadier two handed use it was
just as easy to use as an ordinary drill, but I don't use it except
for special purpose applications.

With angle drills with tall handles, as this is, I find it just as easy to
hold the bottom of the handle with one hand and have my other hand behind
the drill body at the top.

Doctor Drivel

"Roger R" wrote in message

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
eenews.net...

"Lobster" wrote in message
Paul Andrews wrote:

Why not hire a right-angle drill rather than buy one?

Cost me about half (third?) the price of hiring a kosher drill to

buy
the 90-deg adaptor, which worked fine for the limited use I put it

to,
and I still have the adaptor if there's ever a 'next time'.

David

B&Q sell this angle drill under the PP Pro brand for £50
http://tinyurl.com/2qp66

I bought one of these for holes in joists and it was fine for D-I-Y
use. The drill came in blow moulded case with a set of blade type
wood bits of various sizes, but more importantly with very short
shanks. 500 watts is not too powerful but ok for 1 inch holes in
wood if taken at steady pace, with breaks.

However I bought mine for half price when B&Q finished the range. So
I don't think they are available anymore but I'm willing to be
corrected on that.

The range is discontinued and if the odd one or two is still in store going
for £33. It is described as a palm drill by the OEM. Looks a decent drill,
but most thought it a limited use angle drill.when its range is much wider.
It is 6" from chuck to end of body, which is about half the length of normal
mains drill.

David Lang

Hi Mr F

OK, so I found out that my drill won't fit between the joists (between
ground floor and first floor) with a 25mm bit in it so I'm looking for
a right angle drill or a right angle adapter.

How about one of those small cordless pistol grip drivers like this one
http://tinyurl.com/b7bqb

I bought one a few weeks ago, surprisingly powerful and very handy.

Dave

Doctor Drivel

"Lobster" wrote in message
Paul Andrews wrote:

Why not hire a right-angle drill rather than buy one?

Cost me about half (third?) the price of hiring a kosher drill to buy
the 90-deg adaptor, which worked fine for the limited use I put it to,
and I still have the adaptor if there's ever a 'next time'.

David

B&Q sell this angle drill under the PP Pro brand for £50
http://tinyurl.com/2qp66

B&Q sell a cheap Makita angle drill too.
http://tinyurl.com/b2cpg

£80 for a Makita angle drill:
http://tinyurl.com/9wr8m

A beefier Ryobi for £99
http://tinyurl.com/a3fkz

An on-line review of the Ryobi:
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...iCAD1402VK.htm

Doctor Drivel

"Lobster" wrote in message
Paul Andrews wrote:

[...]

Read this. Here is one not too keen on it, although the only bad review I
have ever read of it:
http://tinyurl.com/83nq6

Lobster

David Lang wrote:

How about one of those small cordless pistol grip drivers like this one
http://tinyurl.com/b7bqb

I bought one a few weeks ago, surprisingly powerful and very handy.

Surely that's not going to come close to drilling a 25mm hole though?
It's sold as a driver, not a drill; although the pic shows some drill
bits supplied with it, they're only teeny weeny ones.

David
David Lang

"Lobster" wrote in message

Surely that's not going to come close to drilling a 25mm hole though?

Not actually tried it, but it really is a powerful little bugger for it's
size and it 'feels' like it would do it easily, judging by the way it puts
large screws in.

At £15 if it did the job you would be in front.

Dave

Doctor Drivel

"David Lang" wrote in message
k...

"Lobster" wrote in message

Surely that's not going to come close to drilling a 25mm hole though?

Not actually tried it, but it really is a powerful little bugger for it's
size and it 'feels' like it would do it easily, judging by the way it puts
large screws in.

At £15 if it did the job you would be in front.

It may actually drill a 25mm hole providing the bit is sharp. If you wanted
to drill 40 of them, then I'm afraid the battery would not last long and
then the 3 hr charge times.