John Cartmell

Default Cavity wall insulation

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had assumed
that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but investigations suggest
that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be generally used.
Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:09:32 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had assumed
that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but investigations suggest
that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be generally used.
Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

Yes it does make sense to fill it. Insulating foam or insulating
glass fibre or Rockwool batts are typical.

However, if it is a dwarf wall - say up to about 6 courses of bricks -
then the glass will represent the bulk of the heat loss anyway.

It is worth going for low emissivity glass with the double glazing
space gas filled.

Another thing that should be included is to insulate the floor.
Styrofoam is used for this, I believe typically of 100mm thickness,
and is quite cheap.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
John Cartmell

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had
assumed that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but
investigations suggest that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be
generally used. Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of
money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

Yes it does make sense to fill it. Insulating foam or insulating glass
fibre or Rockwool batts are typical.

Thanks.
It made sense to me but every (commercially built) one that I checked seemed
to have used something like 1-2cm thick foam. Cheap?

Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 22:46:28 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had
assumed that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but
investigations suggest that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be
generally used. Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of
money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

Yes it does make sense to fill it. Insulating foam or insulating glass
fibre or Rockwool batts are typical.

Thanks.
It made sense to me but every (commercially built) one that I checked seemed
to have used something like 1-2cm thick foam. Cheap?

Probably.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Rick

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had assumed
that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but investigations suggest
that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be generally used.
Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

From whant I found when I built my house, u have 2 choices

100mm full-fill cavity bats, they must be the "full fill" type.

OR

50mm kingspan, held against inner leaf.

Both have the same U value. The kangspan can not be used as "full
fill".

The floor, you can put 100mm kingspan in.

Having said this, the windows are gonna be a much bigger heat
loss/gain problem.

Rick

The Natural Philosopher

John Cartmell wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had
assumed that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but
investigations suggest that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be
generally used. Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of
money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

From whant I found when I built my house, u have 2 choices

100mm full-fill cavity bats, they must be the "full fill" type.

OR

50mm kingspan, held against inner leaf.

Both have the same U value. The kangspan can not be used as "full fill".

The floor, you can put 100mm kingspan in.

Many thanks for those leads.

Having said this, the windows are gonna be a much bigger heat loss/gain
problem.

Very true! ;-)

Well. yes and no. Per unit area, yes, if left with curtains undrawn.

BUT.

(i) Windows are a small fraction of the total wall area
(ii) heat gain through them even in winter sun is considerable
(iii) if draightproof and tioghtly closed, use of thick interlined and
lined curtains turns them into a perfect insulation sandwich.

I've got single glazed windows but well curtained and sealed, and
believe me, they keep the cold out. Condensation is the most problematic
in the rooms without open fires
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had

assumed
that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but investigations

suggest
that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be generally used.
Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

From whant I found when I built my house, u have 2 choices

100mm full-fill cavity bats, they must be the "full fill" type.

OR

50mm kingspan, held against inner leaf.

Both have the same U value. The kangspan can not be used as "full
fill".

The floor, you can put 100mm kingspan in.

Having said this, the windows are gonna be a much bigger heat
loss/gain problem.

It all adds up. The floor is a large area and added to the dwarf walls a
reasonable percentage of the overall area, so worth insulation well. If the
conservatory is against the outside wall of the house the conservatory acts
as an extra layer of insulation on that wall. As no rain will penetrate
this section outside wall, full filling the house wall against the
conservatory is a good thing. The problem is getting inside the cavity, so
a spray in foam would need to be used.

PC Paul

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall

snip

Having said this, the windows are gonna be a much bigger heat
loss/gain problem.

Very true! ;-)

Well. yes and no. Per unit area, yes, if left with curtains undrawn.

BUT.

(i) Windows are a small fraction of the total wall area

Umm.. It's a conservatory...

(ii) heat gain through them even in winter sun is considerable
(iii) if draightproof and tioghtly closed, use of thick interlined and
lined curtains turns them into a perfect insulation sandwich.

I've got single glazed windows but well curtained and sealed, and
believe me, they keep the cold out. Condensation is the most
problematic in the rooms without open fires

A single glazed conservatory would be cold, whatever. Evene if you also had
insulated roof blinds...

Andy Hall

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:18:19 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Well. yes and no. Per unit area, yes, if left with curtains undrawn.

BUT.

(i) Windows are a small fraction of the total wall area
(ii) heat gain through them even in winter sun is considerable
(iii) if draightproof and tioghtly closed, use of thick interlined and
lined curtains turns them into a perfect insulation sandwich.

I've got single glazed windows but well curtained and sealed, and
believe me, they keep the cold out. Condensation is the most problematic
in the rooms without open fires

All true apart from a)... it's a conservatory......

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"PC Paul" wrote in message
k...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
John Cartmell wrote:

wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall

snip

Having said this, the windows are gonna be a much bigger heat
loss/gain problem.

Very true! ;-)

Well. yes and no. Per unit area, yes, if left with curtains undrawn.

BUT.

(i) Windows are a small fraction of the total wall area

Umm.. It's a conservatory...

He has been at the sherry again.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 10:38:21 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

It all adds up. The floor is a large area and added to the dwarf walls a
reasonable percentage of the overall area, so worth insulation well. If the
conservatory is against the outside wall of the house the conservatory acts
as an extra layer of insulation on that wall. As no rain will penetrate
this section outside wall, full filling the house wall against the
conservatory is a good thing.

The problem is getting inside the cavity, so
a spray in foam would need to be used.

??? You can insert insulating batts or Celotex while the wall is being
built.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

wrote:

It all adds up. The floor is a large area and added to the dwarf walls a
reasonable percentage of the overall area, so worth insulation well. If

the
conservatory is against the outside wall of the house the conservatory

acts
as an extra layer of insulation on that wall. As no rain will penetrate
this section outside wall, full filling the house wall against the
conservatory is a good thing.

The problem is getting inside the cavity, so
a spray in foam would need to be used.

??? You can insert insulating batts or Celotex while the wall is being
built.

The existing house wall. Duh!

Andy Hall

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:31:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

It all adds up. The floor is a large area and added to the dwarf walls a
reasonable percentage of the overall area, so worth insulation well. If

the
conservatory is against the outside wall of the house the conservatory

acts
as an extra layer of insulation on that wall. As no rain will penetrate
this section outside wall, full filling the house wall against the
conservatory is a good thing.

The problem is getting inside the cavity, so
a spray in foam would need to be used.

??? You can insert insulating batts or Celotex while the wall is being
built.

The existing house wall. Duh!

The question was about the new wall not the existing. Try to keep
up.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Doctor Drivel

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 11:31:07 +0100, "Doctor Drivel"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

You must learn to focus.

Cavity insulation, how do you know if you have it? mike UK diy 9 June 10th 05 12:33 AM
insulation - behind wall slats? [email protected] Home Repair 2 May 24th 05 08:26 PM
Dropping a cable through cavity wall. Andrew Barnes UK diy 15 February 1st 05 11:33 PM
insulating a wall Rick Dipper UK diy 10 August 6th 04 08:33 PM
HELP: vertical foundation crack in new construction Zhixin Tang Home Repair 46 October 26th 03 01:53 PM