Andy Hall

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 21:09:32 +0100, John Cartmell
wrote:

I'm looking to add insulation to the cavity in a conservatory wall during
building but I'm not clear what thickness of material to use. I had assumed
that it would be necessary/best to fill the cavity but investigations suggest
that less than 1/3 this thickness seems to be generally used.
Is one option a false economy or the other a waste of money?

NB We are intending to use the room in all seasons.

Yes it does make sense to fill it. Insulating foam or insulating
glass fibre or Rockwool batts are typical.

However, if it is a dwarf wall - say up to about 6 courses of bricks -
then the glass will represent the bulk of the heat loss anyway.

It is worth going for low emissivity glass with the double glazing
space gas filled.

Another thing that should be included is to insulate the floor.
Styrofoam is used for this, I believe typically of 100mm thickness,
and is quite cheap.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl