call me VK

Default Dripping tap

Hi Guys
I got a dripping tap in my kitchen. After browsing the internet and figuring
how to change the washer i decided to give it a go.

The dripping tap can be seen here http://www.kuve.co.uk/tap/drip.jpg

I removed the handle and exposed the spindle and the nut set up. A close up
picture is here
http://www.kuve.co.uk/tap/closeup.jpg ( apologies for the crap pics )

Anyway, I tried to loosen the hexagonal but using a spanner but it just
wouldnt budge. Am i doing anything wrong ? Is this tap different ? Please
advice this newbie.

VK

David Lang

call me VK wrote:
Anyway, I tried to loosen the hexagonal but using a spanner but it
just wouldnt budge. Am i doing anything wrong ? Is this tap different

Looks pretty standard to me. They can be a bugger to shift. Try spraying
WD40 around it & leave it for half an hour. Get a big spanner or a socket
on the hexagon & hold the tap firmly. It will undo!

Dave

Set Square

call me VK wrote:

Hi Guys
I got a dripping tap in my kitchen. After browsing the internet and
figuring how to change the washer i decided to give it a go.

The dripping tap can be seen here http://www.kuve.co.uk/tap/drip.jpg

I removed the handle and exposed the spindle and the nut set up. A
close up picture is here
http://www.kuve.co.uk/tap/closeup.jpg ( apologies for the crap pics )

Anyway, I tried to loosen the hexagonal but using a spanner but it
just wouldnt budge. Am i doing anything wrong ? Is this tap different
? Please advice this newbie.

VK

The second picture's not very sharp - but it looks like a normal tap. The
whole of the brass bit should unscrew from the chrome bit. They can be a bit
tight after a few years - so you'll need to apply lots of torque with a
decently long spanner - preferably with someone hanging on to the tap spout
to stop the whole tap from rotating.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Rob Morley

In article , "call me VK" vijayk1974
@hotmail.com says...
Hi Guys
I got a dripping tap in my kitchen. After browsing the internet and figuring
how to change the washer i decided to give it a go.

The dripping tap can be seen here http://www.kuve.co.uk/tap/drip.jpg

I removed the handle and exposed the spindle and the nut set up. A close up
picture is here
http://www.kuve.co.uk/tap/closeup.jpg ( apologies for the crap pics )

Anyway, I tried to loosen the hexagonal but using a spanner but it just
wouldnt budge. Am i doing anything wrong ? Is this tap different ? Please
advice this newbie.

Heat will probably shift it, but if it doesn't you could end up with
a worse leak than before. Make sure you use a ring or socket
spanner, or if you only have an open-ender make sure it's a good snug
fit. Be careful that you don't twist the tap off the sink.