Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

waltermelon

Default Water dripping sound when faucets are used

Hello
When we use any of the faucets in the house.. kitchen or bathroom.. we
hear a dripping noise. We think this could be from behind the walls..
but it sounds like it could be from the attic or the roof also... Its
hard to pinpoint it.
So I open a faucet, close it and then the dripping noise continues for
a couple of minutes and then stops
And usually, if the taps are being turned on and off quite frequently,
when I'm cooking for instance, the dripping sound appears only towards
the beginning.. when I first open the faucets and start using the
water.
Is there something I can look for specifically? How can I track down
where the sound is coming from?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Speedy Jim

waltermelon wrote:
Hello
When we use any of the faucets in the house.. kitchen or bathroom.. we
hear a dripping noise. We think this could be from behind the walls..
but it sounds like it could be from the attic or the roof also... Its
hard to pinpoint it.
So I open a faucet, close it and then the dripping noise continues for
a couple of minutes and then stops
And usually, if the taps are being turned on and off quite frequently,
when I'm cooking for instance, the dripping sound appears only towards
the beginning.. when I first open the faucets and start using the
water.
Is there something I can look for specifically? How can I track down
where the sound is coming from?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Maybe it's not dripping. Could it be the sound of a pipe moving
(lengthwise) as it expands and contracts? This would be most
noticeable when the Hot tap is used.

Jim
Charles H. Buchholtz

waltermelon ) wrote:

: So I open a faucet, close it and then the dripping noise continues for
: a couple of minutes and then stops

It might be in the drain pipes, since the dripping noise continues
after you turn off the tap.

I'd put a container under the tap and fill it, and listen for the
dripping sound. Then turn the tap off, and listen for the dripping
sound. Finally, slowly pour the water from the container down the
drain, at about the same rate as when the faucet is running, and
listen again.

That should tell you whether the problem is in the supply side or the
drain side.

--- Chip

waltermelon

I tried collecting the water in a container.. there was the dripping
noise before I let the water go from the container.. and none after I
let the water go. It looks like the problem is at the supply side then.
And it happens with cold as well as hot water. Should I get a plumber?
Is this beyond help??
Thanks a lot for your replies

M_L_News

I had (and continue to have) a similar situation. But mine is
definitely related to the drain-side. When I run my 2nd floor bathroom
sink, the waste water proceeds down the plastic drain pipe that is in
the outside wall. The warm water passing next to the 1960's-era
aluminum siding causes thermal expansion which _sounds_ like
drip-drip-drip about every 1/2-to-1 second. It took me a while to
figure out because it's more severe with warmer water and colder
weather, but the big clue was that I never found any leaking or pooling
water.

So - two questions for you: Do your supply pipes pass near any metal
surfaces ? Have you ever found any water stains or leaks ?

waltermelon wrote:
I tried collecting the water in a container.. there was the dripping
noise before I let the water go from the container.. and none after I
let the water go. It looks like the problem is at the supply side

then.
And it happens with cold as well as hot water. Should I get a

plumber?
Is this beyond help??
Thanks a lot for your replies

waltermelon

I have never found any water stains or leaks, and I do have siding, so
it is very likely that the pipes pass near metal. What do you do about
this? This is harmless?

M_L_News

waltermelon wrote:
I have never found any water stains or leaks, and I do have siding,

so
it is very likely that the pipes pass near metal. What do you do

about
this? This is harmless?

I think my house was built around 1970.
I've lived in it about 10 years.
No problems yet.
If you're sure it's not leaking, I wouldn't worry.

AquaTherm Furnace - No Hot Water Issue David Home Repair 11 January 25th 18 09:44 PM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 09:45 PM
Water Softeners, good or bad?? Martin Hirsch Home Repair 23 July 14th 04 04:27 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 29th 03 12:59 AM
hot water recirculator, instant hot water but not a water heating unit, saves water, gas, time, money HeatMan Home Repair 0 August 24th 03 01:26 PM