Peter Boulton

Default Aqualisa shower - dripping!

Hi,

I have an Aqualisa thermostatic mixer valve shower (non-power). Not sure
what the model number is but I posted a digital photo (6k) at
http://tinyurl.com/32cpb.

It has started dripping from the mixer - you can see the drips in the photo!

I've tried disassembling, cleaning and reassembling. The inside contains a
metalic sort of corkscrew thing wrapped round and round the centre of the
assembly which comes out when you unscrew the 4 screws round it. It seemed
quite clean, though there was a fair amount of grit in the hole at the
bottom inside the wall part of the assembly.

My question is, from this pathetic description, can anyone advise whether
there is anything I can do to economically resolve this problem - as I see
that these pieces of kit are horrendously expensive, and with due respect to
plumbers who have a living to make, I would rather try to fix it myself, if
this is possible!

Thanks greatly!

Pete

Andy Hall

On Sat, 1 May 2004 12:27:21 +0100, "Peter Boulton"
wrote:

[...]

Try to see whare the leak is coming from.

Remove the knob at the front and the temperature control one as well.

The leak is likely to be coming from one of two places - the gasket
sealing the cartridge to the valve body or the spindle. If it's the
gasket you can buy a spare directly from Aqualisa.

Otherwise it;s a replacement cartridge from a plumber's merchant.

Cost is approx. £90.

The only other small replaceable parts are the O-rings at the back of
the valve and holding the front knob on the spindle.

Anything in and around the cartridge equals new cartridge.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
PoP

wrote:

I have an Aqualisa thermostatic mixer valve shower (non-power). Not sure
what the model number is but I posted a digital photo (6k) at
http://tinyurl.com/32cpb.

It has started dripping from the mixer - you can see the drips in the photo!

I fixed one of these recently, and I've got another to fix this coming
week. Both were/are dripping.

The corkscrew assembly is known as a cartrdge. At the rear end of this
is a small shaft that fits into a hole at the back of the wall
mounting. Just inside that hole is a black rubber washer which
probably costs about 10p.

Sadly in my experience you have to change the whole cartridge at a
cost of somewhere in the region of £100. I'm not sure that washer is
something that can be replaced on its own - on the one I did recently
I couldn't get the darn washer out, but after changing the cartridge
the leak stopped immediately.

PoP

---
http://www.ukdiy.org.uk
Peter

wrote:

[...]

Yes that's right - I've changed three in the past year and all required new
cartridges. You could try changing the 'O' ring right at the back, but make
sure you have a new one before you start as the old one will need to be
picked out with a bent pin or similar (don't damage the seating). Aqualisa
suggest a crochet hook but I don't have one of those in my tool box :-(

Peter

Andy Hall

On Sat, 1 May 2004 17:53:11 +0100, "Peter"
wrote:

Yes that's right - I've changed three in the past year and all required new
cartridges. You could try changing the 'O' ring right at the back, but make
sure you have a new one before you start as the old one will need to be
picked out with a bent pin or similar (don't damage the seating). Aqualisa
suggest a crochet hook but I don't have one of those in my tool box :-(

Peter

Tried a crochet hook - doesn't work.

In the end I used a scalpel with long blade and jjust stuck the tip
into said O-ring and used scalpel as a lever to ping it out.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Peter Boulton

Hello there,

Original (dripping) poster here! Thanks for all the advice. I am
struggling to relate some of the parts referred to in the advice with what
I've got in my valve. Can't think I saw an O-ring when I disassembled this
morning. I'll have another go in the morning and maybe put some more
pictures on my website of the separate valve bits.

However, I did have one brainwave. Just don't know whether I have the balls
to do this... what do you think? Bear in mind that I am several spanners
short of a full tookbox when it comes to diy....

There is another, identical, shower in the ensuite (which does not leak).
The brainwave is to disassemble this and try the cartridge in the dripping
shower. If this worked then it would prove I simply need to save up for a
replacement cartridge. If it didn't, I suppose it's a plumber?

But... is it safe to disassemble the working one? How likely am I to ruin
it? I know that question invites all sorts of smartypants answers, but you
know what I mean! How easy is it to damage these objects?

Advice on this high-risk strategy greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Pete

wrote:

[...]

Andy Hall

On Sat, 1 May 2004 20:31:24 +0100, "Peter Boulton"
wrote:

Hello there,

Original (dripping) poster here! Thanks for all the advice. I am
struggling to relate some of the parts referred to in the advice with what
I've got in my valve. Can't think I saw an O-ring when I disassembled this
morning. I'll have another go in the morning and maybe put some more
pictures on my website of the separate valve bits.

There should be one on the fluted spindle at the front of the
cartridge which basically holds the flow control knob in place.

The second is in the back of the base in a projecting tube in the
centre.

However, I did have one brainwave. Just don't know whether I have the balls
to do this... what do you think? Bear in mind that I am several spanners
short of a full tookbox when it comes to diy....

There is another, identical, shower in the ensuite (which does not leak).
The brainwave is to disassemble this and try the cartridge in the dripping
shower. If this worked then it would prove I simply need to save up for a
replacement cartridge. If it didn't, I suppose it's a plumber?

But... is it safe to disassemble the working one? How likely am I to ruin
it? I know that question invites all sorts of smartypants answers, but you
know what I mean! How easy is it to damage these objects?

Advice on this high-risk strategy greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Pete

If you are careful it should be OK.

If you are unlucky or not careful then it will be two cartridges.

However, if you just look at the faulty one with the front flow
control cap and the thermostatic control cap removed and see where the
leak is coming from then it will be obvious.

It should either be coming from between the cartridge and the base, in
which case it will need a new sealing O-ring there - they are a
special shape - or from the spindle.

If it's the latter, then it is time for a new cartridge.

There should be no need to swap them between showers.

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Peter Boulton wrote:
My question is, from this pathetic description, can anyone advise
whether there is anything I can do to economically resolve this problem
- as I see that these pieces of kit are horrendously expensive, and with
due respect to plumbers who have a living to make, I would rather try to
fix it myself, if this is possible!

It's almost certainly the 'cartridge' that will have to be replaced. Easy
DIY, but costs about 70 quid for the part.

--
*Young at heart -- slightly older in other places

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andy Hall wrote:
Aqualisa suggest a crochet hook but I don't have one of those in my
tool box :-(

Tried a crochet hook - doesn't work.

In the end I used a scalpel with long blade and jjust stuck the tip
into said O-ring and used scalpel as a lever to ping it out.

Maplin used to do a set of 'PCB' tools which had a selection of hooks and
sharp probes. Seen them on Ebay too. They get a lot of use for things they
were never designed for...

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Peter Boulton

Hi there! Original poster here again!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. Much appreciated.

The info on O-rings got me thinking. I had not noticed an O-ring when I
first removed the cartridge from the wall (I'm that good at d-i-y, see!).
However, removing it again, I see that this is the flush rubber ring on the
inside surface of the cartridge, which mates to the bit on the wall to form
a, hopefully, waterproof seal.

The O-ring seemed pretty undamaged, so I thought maybe it was just a case of
screwing the cartridge back, paying particular attention to tightening the
side which appeared to be leaking, tight and first, and then tightening the
other screws. I have put a couple more digital pictures on my website so
you can see what I mean:

http://tinyurl.com/3de6h - shows the cartridge. I've ringed the part of the
o-ring where I think the leak was, in red. The hot (I think) water comes
through this hole. I think this is quite a design fault - the outer edge of
the hole needs to mate with the wall assembly to be watertight, but there
isn't that much surface to mate with. (I know, it's not the size but how
you use it!)

http://tinyurl.com/2wl2s - shows the wall assembly, with the leak area which
mates with the area highlighted in the first picture, and the screw holes I
tightened first.

Well, it seems to have stopped dripping! Obviously I don't know whether
this will be a permanent solution, but if it is permanent it shows that
leaping off down the (expensive) replacement cartridge route may not always
be necessary. Hopefully have saved some money here!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed. I would never have started
thinking thr problem through logically without it.

Pete

"Peter Boulton" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Andy Hall

On Mon, 3 May 2004 17:17:10 +0100, "Peter Boulton"
wrote:

Well, it seems to have stopped dripping! Obviously I don't know whether
this will be a permanent solution, but if it is permanent it shows that
leaping off down the (expensive) replacement cartridge route may not always
be necessary. Hopefully have saved some money here!

If it starts again, you could call them and order a replacement
gasket. THese come with the cartridge but you can get them
separately as well.

You can also try a smear of silicon grease (not sealer) on it.